Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A common attitude with Windows users here  (Read 7078 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: A common attitude with Windows users here
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2003, 10:23:34 PM »
There's some difference between changing your car's oil, and ripping the engine out as part of regular maintenance. ;-)

If you're not spending your spare time pouring ice cream into it, or ripping the engine out for the fun of it, you won't have to with NTx, provided it is set up properly in the first place.  If a car's engine isn't tuned properly in the first place, you'll get countless problems.  However, there is a justifiable point of counter-argument here - PC suppliers do not set Windows up properly at all!

Offline ajk

• Show only replies by ajk
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »
How about "Windows is hard to use properly, because it is so big and complicated".

I'm not saying AOS is perfect, but at least it is smaller and therefore easier to figure out.

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2003, 10:31:17 PM »
How about "Windows is hard to use properly, because it is so big and complicated".

Change "use" to "set up", and I'd agree with you.  My family all have PCs set up by me, they have no problems that come down to the OS or software at fault.  They ask me for help with how to do something in particular because they're not particularly computer-techie, but that's about it.

Offline ajk

• Show only replies by ajk
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2003, 10:38:27 PM »
Yes, maybe that is a better word, although I do count installing or replacing hardware as "using", as it's something the average user can and should be able to do by himself. Most of the time things work ok, but if there are problems Windows' or the hardware's help files or manuals are rarely of any assistance.

A properly set up system for example at a school or in other static use is ok though, I agree.

Offline PPCRulez

• Show only replies by PPCRulez
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2003, 10:43:15 PM »

Stop adding memory and start working out why it's using all that memory!  My machine, with all the stuff I want loaded on startup uses 64MB RAM.  That's 30MB less than it would do had I not configured it properly and still loaded the extra stuff I wanted.

I've turned off all services that I don't use. But the fact is that if you put 256MB RAM in a Win2k box and then put 384MB in the same box with the same configuration you don't get 128MB extra free physical memory. It probably caches stuff... (god knows what)

BTW 64MB is still an insane amount of memory for an OS.

Regristry hell is still very much present even if the DLL problems isn't as bas as they used to be.

When something goes wrong with Windows you have no choice but to reinstall.

That's only due to your unwillingness to learn how to solve the problem properly.

Well.. it's not unwillingness... If it were easy to fix a problem with Windows no one would have to reinstall it. Not many users of windows have never had to reinstall the OS.

If that is truly what happened, then more happened than you think to cause Win2k to die completely.  I've never seen NTx just "give up the ghost" and die, without heavy provocation.  That's out of at least 80 Windows NT4/2k machines I set up.

Yes, that is what happened. I just pressed the reset button after a complete system freeze due to the keyboard dying. After that it wouldn't boot, in fact I couldn't even get to the Safe-mode. Sure I've had to reset the Win2k machine with the button a few times before and nothing had happened before, but this time it just went dead.

But other than that Win2k is quite stable, sure it crashes sometimes, but not that often.

The day that I tried Opera for windows was the day that I started using Windows more and more, and less of AmigaOS. I really don't like IE. And when I got DOpus for Windows it got even better.. I don't have to use Explorer for file management anymore.

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2003, 10:51:03 PM »
I think you guys are not seeing the forest
because of the trees.
You are forgetting that 'Windows' was/is supposed
to be the system for the masses.
Well the 'Masses' don't know squat about
computers. How do you expect them to keep them
running.
Windows is a very good idea with a very bad
implamintation.
If Windows was actually what it is supposed
to be then it would not need fixing every other
week, remember 'The Masses'.
I'm just a 'not very well informed' hobbiest.
But atleast when I screw something up on my
Amiga I can fumble around and fix it, not so
with windows.

Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show only replies by ottomobiehl
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2003, 11:26:28 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
You'll complain to the ends of the earth how slow/rubbish/unstable/whatever your WIndows installation is, but you are unwilling to do anything about it, eg. find out how to configure Windows correctly.

Another eg. of course is use a different OS :-)

Willing to whinge, unwilling to learn.  That's what I think it comes down to.

I've had every OS that I have ever used crash on me at one point or another.  Be it Windows, Linux, MacOS or Amiga dos.  All operating systems can and will crash and that's a fact of life.  I think that the biggest problem I have with Windows is Microsoft.  I have always been suspicious of how they do business and treat other business's.  I think a lot of other people dislike Windows for that reason too.

Here is a good and funny article about one mans hate of Microsoft: Why I Hate Microsoft.

I am not 100% against the OS as it is easy to use and does what I want it to do (as do some other OS's.)

I think I would like Windows more if Microsoft took the bloat out or gave me the ability to not have to install alot of that bloat (ie. Internet Explorer.)

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2003, 11:30:20 PM »
All operating systems have noticeable flaws.

Very true! But some have more flaws than others.

Offline kolla

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2003, 11:45:18 PM »
Learning Windows is a waste of time anyways, and neither interresting nor fun.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2003, 11:47:24 PM »
I think you guys are not seeing the forest
because of the trees.
You are forgetting that 'Windows' was/is supposed
to be the system for the masses.
Well the 'Masses' don't know squat about
computers. How do you expect them to keep them
running.

Ah, the classic "I know the advertising is pure lies but I'll accept it because it forms a convenient excuse".  Computers still aren't 100% accessible for the masses.  TBH, I think it's the masses that have to undergo the more radical advances in order to use computers efficiently.  They're still seen as "geek toys".  It'll take a good generation or two for that to change.

But atleast when I screw something up on my
Amiga I can fumble around and fix it,

That's because you're willing to learn with your Amiga, because you chose it through liking it in the first place.

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2003, 12:02:58 AM »
Learning Windows is a waste of time anyways, and neither interresting nor fun.

Just please don't let me hear you whinge that something doesn't work then!

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 12:03:43 AM »
Mikeymike:  You'll complain to the ends of the earth how slow/rubbish/unstable/whatever your WIndows installation is, but you are unwilling to do anything about it, eg. find out how to configure Windows correctly.

That would be easier if Windows didn't ignore or discard your changes from time to time.  Ever try to use the "View:  Like current folder?"  It usually takes a restart before it actually starts viewing like the current folder, and a lot of times Windows just "forgets".  Every time I re-install Windows, it takes 3-4 days before Windows "learns" how I want it to be configured.  I suppose if I went into RegEdit, I could force it to learn faster, but hey...

It would also be nice if Microsoft didn't change everything all the time.  Most people don't want to spend days re-learning everything just because of a critical update.  Microsoft changed their driver wizard in Win98 a while ago, and now a lot of Win98 drivers don't work anymore, saying that the drivers are not designed for your hardware.  I've had a lot of customers return hardware because of that, and from personal experience with my own Win98 machine, I know it is NOT their fault.  It's because Microsoft is still innovating a product that has a set methodology and SHOULDN'T change.  But if they didn't, IE6 and other newer MS products may not work.  Between IE and older drivers, guess which product won?

Willing to whinge, unwilling to learn. That's what I think it comes down to.

For home users, perhaps, but it's worth pointing out that the people who buy software for business purposes are RARELY the people who actually use the software.  My boss spends tens of thousands of dollars on software I tell him NOT to buy, and all the resulting problems are my responsibility.

BTW, I am no longer working there, and am looking for a new job.  I certainly won't work anywhere that used that same crap software, that's for sure.

KennyR:  When I buy a car, I expect it to run with zero maintainance. If I have to spend every weekend fixing it or pushing it in the mornings, it's time to buy a new car.

I've used that same analogy when desribing the "professional" machines I use at work.  Our Kodak DLS printer has a problem just about every week, and when a technician comes in to "fix" the problem, there's really nothing they can do.  That's why they charge $10,000 a year for maintenance contracts.  If we hadn't bought it, we would be up to over $60K in repair bills by now, and the machine is only two years old.

Meanwhile, my old car, a Saturn, worked flawlessly for 3 years with only oil changes, chassis inspections, and new brakes.  Compare that to the awful BMW iDrive machine, which was almost completely software controlled, and in some cases the engine wouldn't even turn off because the car couldn't tell if the magnetic key was removed or not.  I think it had to be totally recalled, but I haven't followed up on that.

As a professional developer, I can honestly say that its "always the user"!

If you're a good programmer with lots of experience with UI design, than I would agree.  This does not reflect the industry standard.  One product I use at work refused to download new photo orders from the company's server.  It gave no error, it just said "no new orders".  After playing phone tag for a couple days, I got to talk to the lead programmer, and he said I should delete half the orders in the order archive and try again.  He said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.  Since the software automatically deletes orders after one month, or if your computer is out of disk space, I never would have thought that manual maintenance is required, especially since we DON'T want to delete the order archive.  We also had plenty of disk space.  I should repeat that the software gave no error, and the programmer treated me like I should have known better.

It's not always the user's fault.  Nobody is right all the time, especially the people who write the software I use at work.  Unfortunately, most low-volume, "professional" software companies seem to operate like this.  So long as the bosses buy the software (and never use it, themselves), the problems just keep getting worse.

Oh, of course its the users fault, we just love editing the windows registry, removing ad-ware and spy-ware, defragging, devirusing, streamlining the startup, dealing with IRQ's and hardware conflicts, all from a noisy arsed box. Why should I go back to Amiga?

Well said.  Maybe if Microsoft didn't make so many "hidden" parts of the registry that allow spammers to wedge in things that don't show up in MSConfig and TweakUI, we wouldn't have so many spy-ware problems.  Viruses I'm not too sure about.  I have my Active-X controls set to "prompt" and haven't had a virus in years.  Then again, how many people know what an Active-X control is?  What starter book will tell you that right-off without bombarding you with 400 pages of fluff about how wonderful Microsoft is?

Methuselas:  I'll give credit, where credit is due. 2kPro kicks @$$. I haven't had a LICK of problems with it in my two years of use. Most of my installs were 'cos of replacement HDDs (NEVER BUY Western Digital. I have replaced 3 REFURBISHED drives, all sent to me as replacement to a NEW one still under warranty!!!).

Win2K is great.  My dad's XP system drives me nuts and I refuse to upgrade.  All I do is Photoshop and e-mail, anyway.

I have to contest your advice about WD.  I will *ONLY* buy Western Digital.  I bought three Maxtor drives and all three went belly up within 6 months.  They were all replaced with refurbished drives (every company I know does that).  I've also seen 2 IBM drives give up the ghost, as well as a Fujitsu and Samsung.  I've personally owned 4 WD drives and never had a problem.

HD's are the least reliable component in your PC.  All drive manufacturers have their issues.  The only thing you can do is make backups.  I have at least 2 full backups of my system at all times, and keep them up to date within 2-3 weeks.  I keep daily backups of work in progress and haven't lost anything in... years, I think.

Mikeymike:  I would say 50% of the time that's down to cheapo hardware, 25% of the time users that don't know how to configure it and/or Windows and 25% the fault of MS and hardware vendors in driver writing.

Sounds fair.  Every time someone asks me to fix their computer, they have some cheapo motherboard where drivers are just NOT available.  That usually means re-installation is impossible, or something to sweat over.   ;-)

PPCRulez:  And DLL/registry hell is not very user-friendly.

I've always felt that DLL hell is largely the fault of developers.  DLLs should be local to the application folder, and you should check version numbers, first.  I've never run into DLL hell except for a few oddball apps under NT4, and a wealth of idioticly programmed freeware apps.  Ever recall having to download Allegro libraries or "Glut32.dll" to get something to work?  Morons.

Mikeymike is right.  DLL hell is a thing of the past.

Mikeymike:  I've never seen NTx just "give up the ghost" and die

I have.  To be fair, I think it was because of bad SCSI drivers, but that's not my problem.

Attempting data recovery from an unbootable NTFS partition is hell.  NT4 doesn't have a recovery console, Win2K won't let you access any files because you don't have permission, and re-installing Windows on top of itself makes several duplicates of your user profiles, which you can't remove unless you do it from the registry (the GUI tool won't list the profiles, but the system still writes files to them).  There is a way to change the security permissions so you can read files from the Recovery Console, but I never got it to work.  It still tells me Permission Denied, even when I log into the admin account.  Windows security is very weird.  The only thing worse is Windows networking.

Lesson learned:  always use FAT for your boot partition and NTFS for other partitions, 'cause if the boot partition dies, you might have to transfer the HD to another machine to read your files on C:.

If the car was obviously badly designed, I would be justified in this view, don't you think?

Yes.  Bad quality is less tolerated in the automotive market, and competition is much more fierce.  Then again, you don't have to worry about "special" gas formulated just for your car, or get service from just one machanic in the country.

PPCRulez:  Yes, that is what happened. I just pressed the reset button after a complete system freeze due to the keyboard dying. After that it wouldn't boot, in fact I couldn't even get to the Safe-mode.

Oh, I've seen that plenty of times when plugging in USB card readers.  Windows automatically reassigns the drive letters, and... POOF... even safe mode doesn't work.

USB card readers are the work of the devil.  I can't tell you how many customers bring them back, and *I* can't get them to work, either.  Very, very bad manufacturer support, that's what!

Offline PPCRulez

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2003, 05:31:58 PM »

Waccoon wrote:

Oh, I've seen that plenty of times when plugging in USB card readers.  Windows automatically reassigns the drive letters, and... POOF... even safe mode doesn't work.

USB card readers are the work of the devil.  I can't tell you how many customers bring them back, and *I* can't get them to work, either.  Very, very bad manufacturer support, that's what!

Which reminds me of another Win2k problem. I have a digital camera a Minolta which is a standard USB Mass Storage Device. It worked perfectly with my Win2k machine for over a year. Tried it on my brothers Win2k machine it found the driver but then nothing happend, the machine just stood there doing nothing, no error messages or anything, it just didn't work. After I had reinstalled Win2k the exact same thing happened on my machine. So, now I can't use the camera on my Win2k machine, but it works perfectly on my Linux machine and always has.

To make this even worse, the camera now works on my brothers win2k machine after he reinstalled win2k.

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2003, 05:57:36 PM »
Waccoon said
Compare that to the awful BMW iDrive machine, which was almost completely software controlled, and in some cases the engine wouldn't even turn off because the car couldn't tell if the magnetic key was removed or not. I think it had to be totally recalled, but I haven't followed up on that.

:-D
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2003, 08:34:45 PM »
@PPCRulez:

Oh, boy...  I've seen this problem way too many times.  Windows is VERY fussy about the order in which you attach hardware to the machine.  Some devices, like my Epson scanner, require you to boot up the computer with the scanner unattached or turned off, and THEN attach or turn on the scanner.  If the scanner is on while the system is booting, the TWAIN driver says the scanner can't be found.  I have an HP printer which is a real pain to install.  The driver must be installed first with the printer unattached.  If you plug in the printer before installing the driver, it will COMPLETELY mess up your machine, and you'll have to delete lots of USB entries in the device manager just to clean house so you can try again.  Once the driver is installing, you'll have to plug in the printer ONLY when it tells you to, so it can autodetect it.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  It took me a few hours just to install the driver the first time I bought it.  If it wasn't such a damn good printer, I would've brought it back!

Try this:
- With the device plugged into your usual USB port, open the Device Manager.  Find the entry for the camera and remove it.  Unplug the camera, and THEN click Scan for Hardware Changes.  Do not click Properties and try to Reinstall Driver.  That hardly ever works with USB devices in my experience, even though it works with everything else.

- At this point, you're at the mercy of the driver.  Sometimes you have to install the driver first, sometimes after.  Sometimes you have to have the camera plugged in before the computer starts, sometimes after.  I have a feeling that since the OS recognizes the camera as a Mass Storage Device (which it shouldn't), you might have to install the driver first, then plug in the camera.  Scanners, printers, and cameras usually don't install by plugging in the device first, and then getting a prompt for the driver.  Card readers, USB drives, and low-speed devices usually WILL install this way.  You'll have to experiment.

- See if your manufacturer has a more recent driver for downloading.  Some downloaded drivers are more basic than the ones you get on CD-ROM, EVEN if they are the same version number!  Downloaded drivers may have updated directions on what order to do things.  Manufacturers tend to change their mind about installation all the time.

Also keep in mind that high-speed USB devices like scaners and digital cameras (unlike mice, keyboards, and joysticks), probably have to be plugged into a root USB port, and must always be put into the SAME port every time you use it.  If you swap ports, you'll have to re-install the driver for each USB port, and if you use a USB hub, chances are you'll have communication problems, or the device will not work at all.  When I have my scanner plugged into a hub, it will scan 25-40% of an image an then freeze.  In a root port is works flawlessly.  Only the three fingered salute will shut down the TWAIN driver when it freezes.

Microsoft's USB standard absolutely sucks.  Many manufactuerers try to "fix" it by doing strange stuff with their drivers, and that just seems to make the problem worse.  My HP printer is the hallmark of horrible, horrible driver design (it also installs junkware, like a desktop folder that will automatically upload pictures to HP's server for sharing to family members.  You have to explicitly delete it AFTER it's been installed.  Lovely).

Offline PPCRulez

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 03, 2003, 09:35:57 PM »
@ Waccoon

Actually the Minolta Camera I have doesn't have any special drivers. You don't have to (nor can) install any drivers. When attached it uses Microsofts USB Mass Storage Device driver. I will try some of your tips though and see if it works.

I've gotten used to using it under Linux now, since Win2k can be such a pain in the ass sometimes.