Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 78 year old Dad needed a new computer so..........  (Read 1291 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
78 year old Dad needed a new computer so..........
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
No, I did not give him an Amiga.  I actually started him on an Amiga A500 about 15 years ago, then he bought his own A3000D and used that for about a year before wanting to move to an x86 compatible computer.  He then bought an eMachine and has used it for the past 10 years, so I guess it was time for him to upgrade.  My sister and I have been writing him back and forth for the last couple of weeks and finally convinced him NOT to get the computer that the local shop around the corner from him was trying to sell him.  He then wanted to buy another eMachine from WalMart for about $500 including a 17" LCD monitor.  It has a 1.6ghz Celeron CPU and 1gb RAM with Vista Home Premium.  This was slightly better than the computer shop around the corner, but not by much.

My siblings and I had already bought my Mother (divorced from Dad long ago) a iBook several years ago and then later an iSight camera so she can do video conference calls with my younger sister in New Zealand, older brother in Orange County, CA and older sister in Long Beach, CA, so we were trying to convince dear old Dad to get a Mac so he could do the same.  He could not see the advantage of spending twice the money for a Mac to get the same performance as he could get on a PC.  Also he wanted to keep using his Windows version of a family tree program.  

To make an end to this long story, I found and won an auction on eBay for a 17" Intel iMac at $610 for Dad last night and will be going to visit him soon to set it up and show him how I can help him long distance via sharing the desktop with iChat.  Hopefully that way my sister or I can help him if he has any troubles.  Also, I will install Parallels and set it up for him to run his Windows family tree program transparently from the MacOS desktop.

Just a boring story about old people that still use computers. :-D
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Unit21

• Show only replies by Unit21
Re: 78 year old Dad needed a new computer so..........
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »
I would just like to add - for the record - that my household is going 100% Mac and OS X...

I got my hands on some cheap G4 and G5 equipment and decided to kick that nasty Windows-habit once and for all.

Amiga is emulation only for me nowadays anyway...
---
This is the end of Banana Dachary as we know it!

.... also life...
---

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: 78 year old Dad needed a new computer so..........
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
All our work computers are Macs too.  They're just too darn good.  I've got my wife running Eudora 7 in Fusion, but hopefully Odysseus will be attractive enough to her so we can stop wasting resources on Microsoft...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.