Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint  (Read 10392 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 05:47:47 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778434
however the rest of us have to suffer due to the insatiable greed of A-EON. I wish they would leave our Amiga community alone and go sell crap to Mac users instead [...] their nefarious destruction of the community I will be sure to pirate it instead now.

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 05:48:14 AM »
@Minuous

As posted on the A-EON Facebook page.

Earlier this year we commissioned Andy Broad  to complete the first update to Personal Paint for many years. He did an  excellent job which resulted in a new 68k version Personal Paint 7.2 which Cloanto bundled with its latest Amiga Forever release.

As part of the agreement with Andy, he also worked on a major upgrade  of Personal Paint for both the Classic AmigaOS and a native PPC version  for AmigaOS 4.1. These are now available to purchase through AMIstore.

The Personal Paint 7.3 Classic versions has the following features:-

● Works with the Classic AmigaOS and AmigaOS4.1 and and emulation under WinUAE and Amiga Forever
 ● Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench
 ● Supports AmigaOS screen dragging
 ● Smoother interaction with the OS4 screen dragging system
 ● True colour animation frame thumbs in the StoryBoard window
 ● High resolution gadget imagery and thin borders style GUI option for a more modern look
 ● 9 new built in brush shapes
 ● 100 new Custom Brushes
 ● Pressure sensitive drawing
 ● Dithered transparency
 ● New Airbrush Linemode
 ● Extended paint functionality with image processing tool

Note: The native PPC version has similar features.

Our acquisition of the rights to Personal Paint means that we will  continue with its ongoing development in the future. Also we will  continue to make historical version of Personal Paint available for free  download and that includes the version of PPaint that was removed from Aminet.

TrevorD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:33:36 PM by TrevorDick »
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline Minuous

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »
@TrevorDick:

Yes, that is good news about the ongoing development of it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:38:54 PM by Minuous »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:55 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;778445
@Minuous

As posted on the A-EON Facebook page.

Our acquisition of the rights to Personal Paint means that we will  continue with its ongoing development in the future. Also we will  continue to make historical version of Personal Paint available for free  download and that includes the version of PPaint that Cloanto removed from Aminet.

TrevorD

Record set straight!

Offline Minuous

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 07:03:18 AM »
@gertsy:

I read the official press release PDF, and the announcement at http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2014-11-00053-EN.html, neither of which mentioned that it was Cloanto's fault. I avoid Facebook wherever possible, as do many others. So any important information such as this would be better to be in the press release.

In fact, I'm not sure how clean A-EON's hands actually are in this matter. The amiga-news announcement says "At the request of the copyright holders, the full version of Personal Paint, which had been released on Aminet 17 years ago, has been removed from the archive yesterday." The press release says "A-EON and Cloanto will share joint ownership of Classic Amiga versions up to V7.2". Therefore, it seems they are both responsible for this. And it was A-EON that amiga-news asked for an explanation of the removal.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:14:52 AM by Minuous »

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:14 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;778426
If I were a regular user of software, I'd much rather lose the ability to get it for free than have it stagnate and get old. I can't help but feel that if we want development of programs to continue or restart, we have to get rid of this "I want it but don't want to pay for it" psyche which seems so prevalent in Amiga circles these days.
I know it's nice to have free software, but I think it's nicer to have actively developed software at a small cost.

+1

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;778428

Any feedback is most welcome for new features and suggestions for future development.

Layers :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778449
@trevordick:

Yes, that is good news about the ongoing development of it.

I had thought it was A-EON behind the removal, but my apologies to A-EON/Amigakit if Cloanto are actually the ones to blame. They must have done this to prop up sales of Amiga Forever. I already had a very low opinion of Cloanto's conduct, this just confirms that.

I can't believe what I am reading here.  I must be mistaken in thinking that you are the programmer who I donated a G4 MacMini MorphOS system to years ago, with the hopes that you would produce some useful software, or at least port some existing software of your own, or others, to the MorphOS platform.

I would think that as a programmer, you would support the right of other programmers to do what ever they want with their code, including trying to sell it in any way that they choose.

And then to accuse A-Eon of being greedy, or for destroying our community just makes me furious!  I doubt that Trevor Dickinson will ever make a single penny of profit from our community, after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars developing new hardware for those interested in running AmigaOS4.x on PPC computers, plus investing time and money in so many other ways to support programmers and others in our community, without even asking for any kind of return on his investments or donations in MOST cases.  If Trevor did not have such a thick skin and if he were not so dedicated to all parts of the Amiga community, unfounded attacks such as yours could have caused him to leave, or stop investing his time and money into our community.

I believe that even the members of our community who dislike the products currently available from A-Eon, or who dislike the decisions they have made on the direction they support AmigaOS4.x users (which is not the only part of the community they support), would agree that Trevor and A-Eon deserve some credit for at least attempting to do something, while so many others just complain and do nothing.

It is people who act like you just did Minuous, who make me sick, and wonder why anyone would act that way.  Like his products and services or not, and agree or disagree with his decisions on how to support our community, what gives you the right to ask him to leave our community and to accuse him falsely, as you have done?  You obviously don't know much of anything about the man!  I don't always agree with all of his decisions, but I have deep respect for his commitment and huge generosity toward so many different parts of our community.  I have lost 100% of the respect I used to have for you Minuous.

Moderators, please edit out anything I have written in anger that is not appropriate, or has broken any of our site rules (though I don't think I have).  :angry:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
I think this is great.  Don't know if I will have need for it, but the idea of further development, like the remakes of the classic games etc. is a positive move.  Although a MOS version would be nice.  Good luck . . .
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
The new Personal Paint was one of my first buys from the AMIstore.net site; I have used it for years and was happy to see it brought formally into the OS4.1 world.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;778430
Is your statement above meant as a positive comment on their dedication to our community, or a negative accusation?  I can't tell, but since there are a few other negative comments in this thread, it makes your comment also appear as a negative commentary on their efforts.

Not everyone will agree with all of the decisions made by A-Eon, and they don't have to, but what I don't understand is any complaints about A-Eon's efforts and involvement in the community.  Even if you don't agree with some of their choices, I think that all users should appreciate the fact that A-Eon is trying to make our community better, by investing time and money in many different aspects of our community.

I happen to agree that the highest priority to keep our community alive is the need for more and better software, now that all 4 camps appear to have sufficient hardware choices to run which ever OS you prefer.  If people don't agree with A-Eon's choices to help spur new development, and support existing programmers, then I wish they would suggest productive alternatives, instead of just spewing out negative criticism all the time, with no ideas of their own on what would be a better way to help create new software, or support our existing programmers.

Your comment may be completely neutral and innocent.  Some of our other members can't claim neutrality or innocence for their obvious attempts to tear down, or attack the efforts of well meaning supporters of our community.  You don't have to agree with everything that anyone else does or proposes, but constructive criticism, or alternative productive suggestions are better, and actual actions to make things better are best.

then a simply counterquestion... why removing old versions, why trying to control everything?

Another question: what would the same people that are now cheering and high-fiving say if someone (with lots of money) would support MorphOS and would have done the same what they are now doing? Pascal told that when he asked to buy amigaworld that he got bashed by the same people now cheering. But anyway the online "NG" community is not representing "the community", people you meet in real (except perhaps amiwest). They (Amigakit + A-eon) seem to try to imitate Apple now but there is no Steve Jobs so it will not work. But at least they are already using every chance to successfully polarize.

A sad development :(

I can only say nothing comes with a price. Apple is heavy polarizing and are paying the price now because many people dislike the company and will not buy their products. Copying Apple creates the same effect in the amiga community now (and I am not the only person who thinks that way people should look on other forums and not only in certain forums that make a misleading impression).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:09:16 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline Rob

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
Pascal told that when he asked to buy amigaworld

First I ever heard of that.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;778458
I can't believe what I am reading here.  I must be mistaken in thinking that you are the programmer who I donated a G4 MacMini MorphOS system to years ago, with the hopes that you would produce some useful software, or at least port some existing software of your own, or others, to the MorphOS platform.

I would think that as a programmer, you would support the right of other programmers to do what ever they want with their code, including trying to sell it in any way that they choose.

And then to accuse A-Eon of being greedy, or for destroying our community just makes me furious!  I doubt that Trevor Dickinson will ever make a single penny of profit from our community, after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars developing new hardware for those interested in running AmigaOS4.x on PPC computers, plus investing time and money in so many other ways to support programmers and others in our community, without even asking for any kind of return on his investments or donations in MOST cases.  If Trevor did not have such a thick skin and if he were not so dedicated to all parts of the Amiga community, unfounded attacks such as yours could have caused him to leave, or stop investing his time and money into our community.

I believe that even the members of our community who dislike the products currently available from A-Eon, or who dislike the decisions they have made on the direction they support AmigaOS4.x users (which is not the only part of the community they support), would agree that Trevor and A-Eon deserve some credit for at least attempting to do something, while so many others just complain and do nothing.

It is people who act like you just did Minuous, who make me sick, and wonder why anyone would act that way.  Like his products and services or not, and agree or disagree with his decisions on how to support our community, what gives you the right to ask him to leave our community and to accuse him falsely, as you have done?  You obviously don't know much of anything about the man!  I don't always agree with all of his decisions, but I have deep respect for his commitment and huge generosity toward so many different parts of our community.  I have lost 100% of the respect I used to have for you Minuous.

Moderators, please edit out anything I have written in anger that is not appropriate, or has broken any of our site rules (though I don't think I have).  :angry:

You are too often on amiga.org and amigaworld.net

On both sites most people with different views have left and only certain people are left. I do not say the announcement that it will be available for free is wrong but I say they are at least not honest. They are always talking about the "community", that they just bought forum sites for the community only altruistic and at the same time clearly using their money for economic interests. They should at least admit that and not only marketing blabla. If you read the reactions outside the tiny AmigaOS world (f.e. german sites) the reactions are very different. Both Cloanto and Aeonkit have not done them any favor by it. They seem to have lost understanding of the community.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:58:44 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Quote from: Rob;778467
First I ever heard of that.

He wrote that he asked but got harsh reactions. The people of a certain camp are obviously measuring different depending on where you are from. But that is not really new.

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
I find it very good that the software is continued to be devleoped.

I find it very good that a guy like Andy is doing this

I also find it very good that he gets money for it.

I find it strange to old releases from Aminet are removed.

Offline hishamk

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 28, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »
Awesome news. Good to finally see less talk and more action in the Amiga world.
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA