Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing  (Read 23882 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing
« Reply #179 from previous page: June 17, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
Would you please put down your cheerleader's pom pom's, TMHG?

We get it, you're a fan.  It's an OS.  We don't need it crammed up our asses by you nonstop.

It's a general Amiga forums and all you do is spam your view of the divine future while **** talking the alternatives.  Enough, it's worse than the C-USA threads.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:42:04 PM by Duce »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: JJ;696637
To be fair there is s much bollocks in that post I just don't know where to start

Not really, the point is I will never buy a computer for £1 per megahertz AND I will never buy a PPC Mac for 10x the cost of equivalent x86 laptop. End of story, no bollox. If MOS was on an x86 path I would look at it, but personally I would rather invest the hardware costs for such machines in other areas of my life, and that is why some people will never be running OS4 OR MOS, because they will never go out of their way to buy such hardware.

This is what 99.99% of the planet also feels like, the only bollocks is thinking the pretty much the entire world does not think like me.

If you don't like AROS you put Windows XP back on that £50 Dell D810 with 2.2ghz Centrino and carry on enjoying 1080p 32bit colour video and crunching your AVI to FLV encoding so Youtube does not rip your uploaded video quality to shreds with their encoding to flash for bandwidth preservation.  WTF do I do with a Macbook or SAM 460 if I don't like OS4 or MOS, and that's before you consider non transferable licenses involved with OS4 (at least MOS has a free trial mode).

It's not like ANY of the three choices will replace a real Amiga, I still have 500+ original Amiga software and hardware products and therefore my only true need is for a machine that still can use real disks or to plug a genlock into etc. I am an Amigan, not a MOSian or OS4ian or AROSian.

YMMV

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;696641
Mac computers, just like any other computers, are made with various components soldered onto a PCB, that's what Mac's are, that's what every other computer on the planet is.

The minute you install MorphOS on a Mac, it stops being a Mac and turns into a MorphOS box. It's the OS that defines the HW. You aren't using Mac then, you are using MorphOS, the furthest evolved, most full-featured, most stable and best Amiga compatible Next Generation Amiga system in existence on this planet!

:)

I don't disagree with you, and my previous post makes no judgement on whether OS4>MOS>AROS to be honest.

I don't like Powerbook G4s at the price, I don't like Mac Minis etc etc. It's things like the price/performance of the hardware and the fact if I don't get on with MOS I have to junk that 1.67ghz rubbish computer.

In an ironic sort of way MOS vs AROS is like Windows 3.1 vs Workbench 3.1. Most people never even got the chance to try WB 3.1 because they only had x86 rubbish, but they could try Win 3.1 for free without buying different alien hardware that becomes a financial liability if they didn't like it.

This is exactly why Amiga Inc and Hyperion have no respect for me, Amithlon could of and would have been a game changer back when the name Amiga meant more than a distant logo/brand from a century past. It would have given people a chance to try something and could have resulted in the resurrection of the brand back in the day.

I don't use AROS or MOS or OS4, so it's not a negative comment about any of those OS products. I would have possibly tried MOS on a G5, at least that has enough grunt in native Ápple OS to be useful to me and hence worth a punt on overpriced Apple hardware needed to be invested in.

It's not like I love Windows, god no. If I was donated a Mac or obtained one via a financially beneficial trade I would actually try MOS to be honest :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »
@Duce

This is the second pointless OT post you make in this thread in a short time. If MorphOS hurt your eyes this badly, then I think for your own sake that you should leave, there are many other threads you can read. The topic here is MorphOS, especially MorphOS 3.0, get over it!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
@Digiman

Sure, not everyone is prepared to pay a hundred dollar (or a few) to obtain what's needed to try MophOS. But if you really are interested in Amiga NG OS's, the necessary MorphOS HW is totally within anyones reach (it's not that $3,000 A1X1K we are talking about after all). MorphOS never set out to be a commodity OS for the broad public of general users, but it is the one offering the most and the best to the small *Amiga community* (I'm very happy with my Mini 1.5GHz/64MB VRAM, got everything I need, maybe I'd like to be able to play true 1080p video without framedropping (720p works) but that's about it), and if you are really interested, then neither price nor availability won't be an issue for most people. But of course, if you think it's too much money, then pass and move on, your choice! :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
Quote from: Duce;696661

We get it, you're a fan.  It's an OS.  We don't need it crammed up our asses by you nonstop.

It's a general Amiga forums and all you do is spam your view of the divine future while **** talking the alternatives.  Enough, it's worse than the C-USA threads.

To be honest while tmhgm sometimes has a habit to repeat obvious again and again that message he posted about MorphOS 3.0 was perfectly on topic.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;696666
In an ironic sort of way MOS vs AROS is like Windows 3.1 vs Workbench 3.1. Most people never even got the chance to try WB 3.1 because they only had x86 rubbish, but they could try Win 3.1 for free without buying different alien hardware that becomes a financial liability if they didn't like it.

I agree that buying PowerPC dongle is way too much to some or many users but apparently it is not too big problem.

(Btw your WB3.1 vs Win3.1 theory is rubbish. Latter had much better software support and there was OS/2 sold as alternative option.)

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
@smerf

You can get macs that will run MOS for far less than $250, and any mac you buy can be quickly resold to recoup your losses if MOS doesn't suit you.
If you just don't want that old junk taking up space in your place, then I guess you'll have to wait for a good PPC mac emulator for PC.  Maybe someday Cloanto will make MorphOS Forever for you to buy.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
Quote from: Duce;696661

Seriously?  People, it's a hobby for Christ's sake.  Some people expend resources on obsolete cars, sports cards, bubble gum comics, or whatever they want.  When was the last time you went to the model railroad club or antique car show and ranted about what a waste of time and money the hobby is?  That's what you're doing here, and making yourself look just as much a fool.

Yes, this is an Amiga forum.  It's been demonstrated plenty of times in forums and argued numerous times in IRC, listservs, and Usenet, that MorphOS and AROS are Amiga-like enough to be given berth and acceptance.   If you have a problem with MorphOS threads then don't read them.  If seeing a MorphOS thread makes you rage, then you need help which none of us here can provide.

« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2012, 02:14:53 AM »
Here comes a nice youtube video from danwood, showing a bit of MorphOS 3.0:

[youtube]LQxJgw0GhJo[/youtube]

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQxJgw0GhJo)

:)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2012, 02:32:37 AM »
Hi,

@kedawa,

Well I swallowed my pride and asked the wife if I could buy a mini-mac that I had found on ebay  for $130, her answer was you know you don't need it, and besides that the cabinet I need for putting clothes in cost $129, and then how about the bathroom remodel that you started on, aren't you going to need money for that. You know you have about 10 computers in your computer room, do you really need another one. No I don't I only have 6 in the computer room, oh well why fight with what is right.

Another loss for buying my first Apple product.

Just really wanted to see what this MorphOS thing is all about, OK, I am addicted to OS systems, I have CPM, IBM 1.0, 1.2 etc., Amigados, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 3.1, 3.5, 3.9 and OS4.1, I have windows 1.0, 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 and now am playing with Windows 8 (I love it). I have AROS, Ubuntu 6.0 through 11.10, Red Hat, Fedora, Suse, and also Windows 2000, Windows NT, and a couple of others that I haven't had a chance to play with yet.

It is driving me crazy to see this MorphOS so that I can give an accurate critique of it. The first obstacle was it is on a MAC (gosh I hate MACs). Why in gods name a MAC, are your trying to torture me. OK, rant over, I have a C128, C64, TRS80, Cocoa, Atari (junk), Texas Instruments, and may as well throw in the CD32. The only computer I have ever refused to buy was an Apple product. I hated that ash hole Steve Jobs that much. If anyone of you ever wanted to see a worse ash hole than Bill Gates it had to be Steve Jobs. It was his way or the highway, if you didn't do it exactly like he wanted it done, pack your bags, if he was wrong it was still pack your bags. OK 2nd rant over.
Now you ask me to buy a computer that comes from someone that I hate more than the worst enemy I have in the world. Just knowing that he had something to do with it, completely makes me want to scream.

Never will get to examine MorphOS, looks good on youtube, but that will be the closest I get.

It isn't MorphOS that I hate, it is the hardware (that's cheapest) that I just can't stand.

Will be waiting for a good MAC PPC emulator, to try out.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2012, 03:27:11 AM »
Hi,

Anyone know if MorphOS will play the Classic Amiga Games, if so anyone have a list of games it will play.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:55 AM »
I'm not sure about this myself, but if you run winuae on a 1.5ghz pc...

It will not run many very demanding games (like super stardust aga) without stuttering sound and dropping frames. Even a 2ghz pc will not run some games smoothly...

This is why I'm a bit hesitant to buy a 1.5ghz g4 mac for morphos.

My 3ghz aros box runs any classic amiga game or software just fine.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »
Danwood is a legend. He makes the best tech videos around  :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;696773
Danwood is a legend. He makes the best tech videos around  :)

Agree, nice videos... :)

Offline itix

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Quote from: smerf;696759
Hi,

Anyone know if MorphOS will play the Classic Amiga Games, if so anyone have a list of games it will play.

smerf

Only those not hitting directly the hardware run. That is mostly RTG and PPC games from late 90s or some simpler PD games from early times.

If you want your Kick Off 2 fix I think it is better use WinUAE.