Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing  (Read 24142 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
Quote from: spirantho;696041
I think the problem is that most of the /. "geeks" moved on from Amigas themselves, or their contemporaries, when they personally decided that they were "dead". Therefore, because they think the platform is dead, that means the platform is dead, and anyone still using it is in denial and flogging a dead horse (which must be dead because they abandoned it long ago, Q.E.D.).

The whole concept of it not actually being dead even though they stopped using it doesn't even occur to many people there.

As you may be able to tell, I don't bother reading /. any more. It's too depressing, loads of apparent geeks who really believe that using an Apple (for MacOS) genuinely is "thinking different".

If they were running something pathetic as Windows ME and now have the MorphOS choice too then sure, but is MorphOS adding any new ability to a G4 1.67ghz PB which had OSX installed on it? No. That is why nobody cares, same reason as installing Linux on that machine is boring.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:26:25 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;696446
I was under the impression that OS4 was the only one of the three that actually used the OS 3 sources, though...? So it seems fair enough to have it as a continuation of the OS 3 line, while the others fork off (I wonder if the "Amiga.org censorship bot" will censor that).
The fact that OS 4 runs on different hardware is irrelevant, it does share its roots with OS3, and is the only one which does.

Clearly AROS and MOS have reverse engineered whatever OS4 team used from OS3.x

It comes down to which host machine you're prepared to buy, if Macs don't make you puke you can run MOS however Mac is worse than Atari computers and of no interest to me from 1984--> as XP is better than OSX too thanks. Apple computers are for clueless nobs FACT.

I'm not buying an X1000 or £1000 SAM so really, like many other people worldwide, only AROS is of any interest :)

£300 for a $hit half decade old powerbook 1.67ghz? lol no *pass*

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: JJ;696637
To be fair there is s much bollocks in that post I just don't know where to start

Not really, the point is I will never buy a computer for £1 per megahertz AND I will never buy a PPC Mac for 10x the cost of equivalent x86 laptop. End of story, no bollox. If MOS was on an x86 path I would look at it, but personally I would rather invest the hardware costs for such machines in other areas of my life, and that is why some people will never be running OS4 OR MOS, because they will never go out of their way to buy such hardware.

This is what 99.99% of the planet also feels like, the only bollocks is thinking the pretty much the entire world does not think like me.

If you don't like AROS you put Windows XP back on that £50 Dell D810 with 2.2ghz Centrino and carry on enjoying 1080p 32bit colour video and crunching your AVI to FLV encoding so Youtube does not rip your uploaded video quality to shreds with their encoding to flash for bandwidth preservation.  WTF do I do with a Macbook or SAM 460 if I don't like OS4 or MOS, and that's before you consider non transferable licenses involved with OS4 (at least MOS has a free trial mode).

It's not like ANY of the three choices will replace a real Amiga, I still have 500+ original Amiga software and hardware products and therefore my only true need is for a machine that still can use real disks or to plug a genlock into etc. I am an Amigan, not a MOSian or OS4ian or AROSian.

YMMV

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;696641
Mac computers, just like any other computers, are made with various components soldered onto a PCB, that's what Mac's are, that's what every other computer on the planet is.

The minute you install MorphOS on a Mac, it stops being a Mac and turns into a MorphOS box. It's the OS that defines the HW. You aren't using Mac then, you are using MorphOS, the furthest evolved, most full-featured, most stable and best Amiga compatible Next Generation Amiga system in existence on this planet!

:)

I don't disagree with you, and my previous post makes no judgement on whether OS4>MOS>AROS to be honest.

I don't like Powerbook G4s at the price, I don't like Mac Minis etc etc. It's things like the price/performance of the hardware and the fact if I don't get on with MOS I have to junk that 1.67ghz rubbish computer.

In an ironic sort of way MOS vs AROS is like Windows 3.1 vs Workbench 3.1. Most people never even got the chance to try WB 3.1 because they only had x86 rubbish, but they could try Win 3.1 for free without buying different alien hardware that becomes a financial liability if they didn't like it.

This is exactly why Amiga Inc and Hyperion have no respect for me, Amithlon could of and would have been a game changer back when the name Amiga meant more than a distant logo/brand from a century past. It would have given people a chance to try something and could have resulted in the resurrection of the brand back in the day.

I don't use AROS or MOS or OS4, so it's not a negative comment about any of those OS products. I would have possibly tried MOS on a G5, at least that has enough grunt in native Ápple OS to be useful to me and hence worth a punt on overpriced Apple hardware needed to be invested in.

It's not like I love Windows, god no. If I was donated a Mac or obtained one via a financially beneficial trade I would actually try MOS to be honest :)