Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers  (Read 40826 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;688955
Hey, Transition, mind posting this in a format conducive to copy/paste? It'd make further discussion a million times easier.

What do you mean? I had no problems doing copy/paste, but if *you* have it, I think it may be *a good thing* for the upcoming discussion! :p :lol:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
Thank you for making this effort, Barry! :)

A long, very enlightening post with lots of info. I believe *all* my questions were answered, and probably all the rest as well (perhaps similar questions may have been grouped together and slightly rephrased).

Anyway, I now know a lot more about you, how you are thinking, your ambitions, etc. This should clear out some misconceptions (and some others won't, since there are a handful of people with an agenda of *inventing* misconceptions and lies surrounding this issue, for some reason). As you said, you hare never taken anything away from anyone, people not interested aren't affected. But still they hate. Strange, perhaps, but we have seen it a lot of times during the last 1.5 decade. We call them "BAF's" (meaning Blind Amiga Followers); people who have an overly emotional relationship to the Amiga(TM) trade mark, way beyond what's healthy, even of a religious proportion some times, where things like rational thinking and common sanity left the building shortly after Commodore (the original one ;)) went bust.

We hold the AMIGA line with the utmost respect and dignity ... the model’s looks and the famous Commodore and Amiga brands give us some slight advantage in the marketplace ... We are re-releasing computers bearing the famous Commodore and AMIGA brands that many people cut-their-teeth with and loved. Whether you find it interesting is really up to you ... The Commodore and AMIGA brands obviously have the most appeal to those that grew up with those computers, and want something a little different, but not so different so as to be a nuisance.

It will be interesting to see whether you succeed in this. I fear however, that the "brand values" of the Amiga brand is

1) Completely forgotten by most people by now (there hasn't been any viable mainstream products for more than 1.5 decades)
2) More in line with this Dilbert strip for most of the the remaining:

That strip pretty much sums up everything Amiga(TM) stands for today, after the past 1.5 decade of mismanagement. Spot on (you got to love Dilbert)! :lol:

I wish you the best of luck in your Amiga(tm) endeavors, but mind you that many of those people responsible for putting the Amiga(tm) in its current position described by Dilbert above, are at large still here and still somewhat operational. So just be aware that the brand your products are being built upon, may risk being negatively influenced by these other people's moronic decisions, and their BAF's praising them on their Internet crusades. What I'm trying to say is that you seem to be about to make *real* products for *real* markets, using a brand name whose values and development/management you cannot control entirely yourself, and some of the people that *can* aren't exactly known for making rational decisions. You have been warned! ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;688988
I have shortly read the paragraphs regarding the existing community and it is clear that they have not invested anything and will not ("waste of money"). Aros would be the only interesting for them (X86) but they are not allowed to do (AmigaInc/Hyperion) and because of that they will never invest just one cent in it. All 68k projects are interesting but they will not invest, PPC is not interesting and they would never invest in a port of AOS or MorphOS and besides they want to control the OS. Therefore all closed source OSs are not interesting. So we know what we all can expect of them. Nothing.

And all of it makes perfect sense! :)

What I do not understand why they keep on trying to get on amigasites in the news if they are not interested in the community.

Are they really? Or is it that *other* people (the handful but very active and vocal "CUSA Haters") are constantly opening these kind of threads? I think it is!

Besides, I actually think that some people here might be interested in what they have to offer. It's a fact that to some people here, the Amiga(tm) trade mark is far more important than merits/spec/qualities/etc of the product it's trying to sell, the biggest selling point of them all! Which is crazy... :crazy:

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;688993
However, what I never saw in any of that was:

"We still like to use Amigas".

What he *did* say, was more in the lines of "We would like to use real, useful for real in 2012 computers, not museum hardware running an OS that completely lacks the following which we are considering as basic features"

...which would be:

"1. The ability to utilze the latest hardware
2. An advanced graphical API
3. SMP
4. An advanced software stack
5. Mature software development options"

He also said: "We have gone to the trouble of creating our own custom branded
Commodore operating system based on GNU/Linux, which does
everything an Amiga-like OS can
[except screen dragging perhaps:lol:] and more,
without any of the various
[like lack of SMP, MP, modern CPU, RAM limit, etc?]
hindrances people seem to argue about ad infinitum."

And also:

"Sure, the AMIGA mini does not resemble a classic AMIGA but I felt it
was something that Commodore would have produced had it continued
to this day. Some of our new Amiga models will bear a closer
resemblance to the classics but are not intended as replicas. We intend
to do what we feel Commodore would have done if it had continued to
this day."

This last paragraph sums up their ambitions pretty good, I think. And why not? There is nothing wrong with that. Nobody is taking away your classic A1200, or your OS4 box. And we can only speculate how the Amiga would have evolved, had Commodore been alive all this time. I think Barry might be quite right actually. Apple has made at least one similar jump before, and today's Windows are not in any way similar to Windows 3.11 either...

If you don't like it, don't buy it. But nevertheless -- It's teh reeel!!11!!1!

Commodore Amiga (TM)

:D

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;689006
"1. The ability to utilze the latest hardware
2. An advanced graphical API
3. SMP
4. An advanced software stack
5. Mature software development options"
All of which is great for a mainstream OS, but for a hobby OS there's one really important question to answer:

Do I enjoy using it?

The above 5 points is what many OS4 users would die to have, but it won't happen going the current route. Frankly, it will be very difficult (read: impossible) to sell any kind of general desktop computer to *anyone* (outside this little community made of a few hundreds more or less fanatics) without those features, meaning *no business*. Anyone looking to sell a *perfectly usable* (for real, to "real" people!) desktop OS of year 2012 level must go a different route, and by going this route (the custom Linux OS), at least it will be something different than Windows and MacOS, and who knows, maybe it feels good enough and fun to use? Not like the old OS3 based OS's, something new, like Mac OSX compared to MacOS 9? Windows 2k compared to Win3.11? Completely different, not at all the same thing, but still something you could adapt to and embrace given some time?

Anyway, again - Nobody is taking your Museum Amiga's away from you, nor your OS4 boxes, so take it easy. If the new Commodore Amiga's aren't for you, then don't get it, as simple as that.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
Quote from: tone007;689011
I like using real, useful, modern computers as well, and I also like purchasing them from companies who can support the product they sell and also provide competitive pricing.  If anything, CUSA should be selling their hackjob machines for less than "real" vendors are selling theirs for. What, no profit there? Now you're getting it. Move on to luxury plumbing fixtures.

You are free to buy whatever you want, from whoever you want.

If it isn't for you, then don't buy it. Simple, really?

As an example: The A1X1K/OS4 sure as hell isn't something for *me*, no matter the brand names or boing balls slapped on to it. At least the Commodore Amiga's are usable for real, it doesn't have ancient specifications, it has an OS and SW stack that makes the computer usable, and it sure as hell doesn't cost $3,000+. Neither of them are MorphOS though, it was more than a decade ago since I mentally abandoned the Amiga(tm) brand forever, so I see no need in looking at Amiga branded stuff of any kind. I look at specs, price, etc and make my decisions from that... :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;689047
Yeah, in the end the Barron isn't the Anti-Christ, just another businessman trying to make a buck, he saw the Commodore and Amiga brands as a chance for that and he took it.  In the end who wouldn't?  He's not going to produce anything for the retro enthusiasts, there's no money in that, as is more than evident from the businesses that have tried.

He's just a guy who used to make cable ends and is spending his own money to try to build a business that will outlast him.  It comes with middle age, suddenly you know you aren't here much longer and you want to leave something that says "I was here."  I really do empathize with that, but in the end his products aren't for me.  I can see if I owned a computer shop, I would sign up for his programme, because it would make my computer shop different to the other computer shops around, but I sold my business years ago.

In the end I appreciate that he took the time to explain everything, and just because I'm not a potential customer it doesn't mean I don't wish him well.  After all these years, there is no second coming of the Amiga.  I will love my classic Amiga toys and emulators and continue with Apple products for my modern needs.

+1

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: persia;689112
@Nameless

OS4 and MOS are both the equivalent of MacOS 9.  They are as far as you can go with the original operating system.

True! MorphOS 4.x is the way to go (after 3.x of course)! :D

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
My god, is this thread *still* going on? How long are you guys going to say the same thing over and over again? I guess he was right though — this interview *did* generate a lot of traffic to this site! :lol: