Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 25711 times)

Description:

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #284 from previous page: December 30, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
@Bishop077
Well, just hop over to eBay, invest 150-400$ in a PowerBook 5.6 to 5.9 and wait "2 more weeks".

You'll end up with a computer thats fully useable Amiga-style and has enough power for everyday use (which simple isn't treu for anything based on a 400MHz 603-core).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Bishop077

• Show only replies by Bishop077
« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
The sad thing is I did that. I wanted to have a dedicated system to use in order to re-launch my old Cnet BBS....  

Since I am not a MAC fanboy It sits here as a paperweight.  I'll sooner or later do what I said in an earlier post. I'll probably install a Linux Distro, and have it launch UAE and call it good from there....

Lovely and True Sig BTW.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #286 on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:46 AM »
Quote from: Fats;673600
OK, let put it differently. Hyperion is happy with outcome of last court case, Amiga Inc. less so. AFAIK Hyperion is still allowed to sell OS4 and no licensing money is flowing from Hyperion to Amiga Inc. Don't think that was the outcome Amiga Inc. wanted.

True, this is not what *any* IP owner would have wanted, and this is why I think the deal will be challenged as soon as (if) some new entity takes over Amiga Inc or its IP.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #287 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;673621
They only own Amiga OS 4.x that's it.

Exactly, or more specifically, they only own the "OS4 additions" to Amiga OS, and that Amiga OS *is still owned* by Amiga Inc, and without it there can be no OS4! So again – Hyperion *did not* win anything, they *don't* own Amiga OS, and they *are not* independent of Amiga Inc.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #288 on: December 31, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Quote from: Bishop077;673629
I want to see a Laptop.....

I honestly don't care if its PPC, X86, Old Amiga hardware, or a hamster with an abacus....

I would love CommodoreUSA, MorphOS, Hyperion, Cloanto, or Natami pick a laptop that is commonly found on the market write drivers for it and let me boot Directly into an Amiga (or Amiga like) OS, and have all the parts work for once.

We've seen the laptop conversion mods, etc... But I'm not that handy with a scroll saw.

Can this all be done by the hobbist.... sure... customize a Linux distro that boots into UAE... Ya got it... All the driver support in the world... Yup, but not my point....

If CUSA wants to do something cool, take the design of an Amiga 500 and make a laptop. That is what I want to see... Even if its just CommodoreOS with UAE.

100% Amithlon compatible PC laptop? There must be one somewhere in the world way back in the distant past of 2000-2011 no?

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
:bump:
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline rayman

• Show only replies by rayman
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »
Hi,
I dont know anything about cusa.  Didnt even know there was such an animal.  A new machine would be nice.  I dont know why it hasnt been done as yet.  There are lots of clever people about why hasnt it been done yet.

I bought qnx awhile back because someone said it was going to be an amiga os that would run native on a meanie(IBM).  Well I never tried it out but am hanging fire on OE c64 c128 and of course everyones favorite the amiga.

I agree that it cant be a pc and in fact it shouldnt be intel at all.  Wrong chip and wrong mongrelization.  Needs to be the fastest motorola chip Job's used in a mac, 68k or ppc.  I also agree that it should use lots of flash memory.  I also think we shouldnt try to shoe horn the kitchen sink into it.  It should be the zippiest and freshest piece of hardware using the old architecture.  I call it distributive hardware like it was in the old days.  Display had its own ram and was mostly separate.  Cpu had its ram and did what it did mostly alone.  But we need to do it better.  A display in  its own separate world.  All it does is display.  No help from the cpu.  I/O should be in dual mode like a fifo on steroids.  Real print and forget.  Real download while doing other things.  Should also be able to stream video on the fly without bufftering.  Download, display and save all at the same time.  Also should be an airtight net machine that cant be hacked because like in the old days all os was in rom and ram was zeroed out  This can be done now with what motorola has on the shelves while we await their next breakthrough.  Lets give them a kick.

Some clever boots can bread board this right now.  Some other clever boots can cobble up the migaware to make it work.

Jobs made apple in his garage.  Lets do the same with the next amiga.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
Already being done by the Natami and FPGArcade guys.

As grassroots as you're going to get, I'm waiting patiently on the FPGAarcade with daughterboard option to run my BBS.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Quote from: Transition;676808
:bump:

Why do you keep bumping CUSA threads? Are they paying you or something?
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;677855
Why do you keep bumping CUSA threads? Are they paying you or something?

Nope
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
I feel like an administrator type could make a thread sticky if it was important enough to bumpify.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »
Quote from: dammy;673047
Pretty sad that the online Amiga Community can't get a quick 500 people together on a single project to support.

Oh, but we can.  Heard of the FPGA Arcade board?  That'd get 500 easily.

But I can't see CUSA having anything to do with it, and I can't see 500 people wanting to buy it from CUSA if they did.

I'm even more excited about the Arcade board than I am about the X1000, and I'm excited about the X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Quote from: Haranguer;677889
Oh, but we can.  Heard of the FPGA Arcade board?  That'd get 500 easily.

...and MikeJ didn't ask anybody to pay for them in advance either.

Amazing, isn't it.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;677895
...and MikeJ didn't ask anybody to pay for them in advance either.

Amazing, isn't it.  :)

Plenty of Amigans have got burnt hands from things like "vouchers", so I agree with Darrin. It's a pretty big thing to ask cash in advance. That requires trust.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;673091
And that of course, is the golden question.

Honestly Dammy, the best thing CUSA could do now is sell on the Amiga name to Hyperion and make Commodore PCs to their hearts content. At least that would save them some hate mail.

This is true. If CUSA kept it to the Commodore 64x and Commodore PCs with no Amiga mention, bet people here would be far more supporative or neutral.

, I have come to believe the Amiga line-up maybe should be split into two parts - a Classic Amiga (to please all retro fans) and a new x86 futuristic-looking Amiga PC either with native AmigaOS functionality built-in to the kernel for the mainstream market

This was early Middle man post. Generally this is true, where Classic oriented projects like AROS 68k, AmiKit, AmigaForever and Natami go for first option and second is AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS just on PPC not on x86.

In these terms, CUSA ideas fall nowhere and try to reinvent the existing wheel, while pretending there are no either 1) or 2) lines existing, and that is what offends people much.

Stick to the truth - sell CommodoreUSA Computer 2011 or similar UltraGiga
and that is not an offense to anyone. State in the history you are new company that has drawn licence to make Commodore (or Amiga Classic) look a likes, with emulation software, that are generaly, same good PCs.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;677900
Plenty of Amigans have got burnt hands from things like "vouchers", so I agree with Darrin. It's a pretty big thing to ask cash in advance. That requires trust.

Yep, I still have my Amiga $50 coupon (well, I don't actually have the physical coupon, but I did eventually get the t-shirt), so paying in advance (especially when you have a company noted for posting fake manufacturing photographs) doesn't really appeal to me.

The last couple of "large" Amiga hardware purchases I made were the Chameleon64 and the FPGA Arcade, both of which were paid for when the product was ready to ship.  I've pre-ordered a X1000, but I haven't even had to pay a deposit on that even though it is several grand.  It seems to me that certain people in the Amiga community are resourceful enough to design and manufacture hardware on limited resources without having to put their hands in other people's pockets.  However, we have another company which is supposed to have millions in advertising budgets alone than seems to have to vision, no focus (no manufacturing of its own?) and wants us to raid the piggy-bank before it even heads to the drawing board?  Something just doesn't seem right.

Plus, assuming I stood up and said that I'd collect the down payments for the agreed hardware then how exactly would that work?  Due to fluctuating exchange rates we would need to collect the agreed amount in a single currency (say Dollars) so everyone outside of the US would also need to pay an exchange fee.  Then, what happens if the project is cancelled or people ask for refunds?  Who pays the additional reverse exchange fee to send the money back?  I bet it won't be C-USA.  What if you get 500 orders, but by the time of delivery 100 people drop out.  Do the remaining 400 have to pay the additional amount owed by the 100 who left, or will the person holding the money be responsible?  Considering the timeline for designing and building new hardware (and not just taking a x86 mobo off the shelf or rebadging someone else's PC and putting a C-USA sticker on it) I can easily 10 of the 500 pre-payers dying of old age before they receive anything!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.