Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 25718 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #269 from previous page: December 29, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
@amigadave

+1

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #270 on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Quote from: dammy;673374
You mean a company that deals with Amiga Inc, like Hyperion or Cloanto?

Chance of dammy mentioning hyperion in any given post: 84%.

Chance of dammy having any interest in cusa other than riling up people and starting flamewars: 3%

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »
Quote from: dammy;673374
You mean a company that deals with Amiga Inc, like Hyperion or Cloanto?

Currently Hyperion and Cloanto are completely independent from Amiga Inc, Cloanto as far older company, and Hyperion as older company that won AmigaOS in court case.

Contrary, CUSA is Amiga Inc licencee that either has funded Amiga Inc or will fund it with each CommodoreUSA "Amiga" sold.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
Quote from: swoslover;673370

The people constantly trolling with these cusa posts are getting tiresome.

Fixed that for ya' buddy. ;)
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »
Quote from: vox;673383
Currently Hyperion and Cloanto are completely independent from Amiga Inc, Cloanto as far older company, and Hyperion as older company that won AmigaOS in court case.

Sorry, you are wrong.  Hyperion did not win anything in a court case, there was a settlement between AI and Hyperion but the judge did not rule for Hyperion.  Hyperion and Cloanto are both dependent on Amiga Inc for several items.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

ChuckT

« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;673353
Of course they will now attack me and say it is all CUSA's fault for using this site for their own free advertising site and they are Forced to post in retaliation.  It is all so very silly and childish.

Dave,

I'll pretty much stop unless I hear about more lawsuits and customers being ripped off.

The original Commodore ripped off my college by taking money on a side car and not delivering it the department head who handled it knew Commodore was going out of business and he told me that Commodore wasn't going anywhere business wise and if I wanted a job, you have to learn on an IBM.

My brother in law worked with a guy who bought two Commodore 128's and they both blew smoke in his living room when he plugged them in.

The problem is that even though I grew up on Commodore and I liked them, if you don't have respectable business practices then Amiga will never ever be taken seriously.  There is a difference between having a website to just be in the business or being into R&D and delivering to the customer because you are in the business.  Until they have low prices to compete with Dell, I don't think Amiga will ever be seriously considered.  When you have water cooling for an overclocked Amiga then maybe you have something.

Chuck

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
Quote from: vox;673383
Currently Hyperion ... are completely independent from Amiga Inc, ...  Hyperion as older company that won AmigaOS in court case.

1. Hyperion *has not* won anything in a court case.
2. Hyperion *does not* own Amiga OS.
3. Hyperion *is not* completely independent from Amiga Inc.

Get your facts straight...

:rolleyes:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #276 on: December 30, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;673426

OK, let put it differently. Hyperion is happy with outcome of last court case, Amiga Inc. less so. AFAIK Hyperion is still allowed to sell OS4 and no licensing money is flowing from Hyperion to Amiga Inc. Don't think that was the outcome Amiga Inc. wanted.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
Quote from: dammy;673405
Sorry, you are wrong.  Hyperion did not win anything in a court case, there was a settlement between AI and Hyperion but the judge did not rule for Hyperion.  Hyperion and Cloanto are both dependent on Amiga Inc for several items.

The kickstart roms for Cloanto, although since those days it turns out Amiga Inc have no legal claim to the Kickstart IP :)

Offline Amiga_Nut

« Reply #278 on: December 30, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;673426
2. Hyperion *does not* own Amiga OS.
3. Hyperion *is not* completely independent from Amiga Inc.

Get your facts straight...

:rolleyes:

They only own Amiga OS 4.x that's it. They can never make Amiga OS 5 or later as far as I understood it.

Offline Amiga_Nut

« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;673353
It is a waste of time for the original poster to write more here, as there are the same few usual suspects that drown every thread that has any mention of CUSA with so much hate and crap that no sane discussion can take place.

I'm not saying that anything useful might happen, but it can't here with all the crap that is added to any thread that mentions CUSA.

I am quite sick of all of it and very tempted to click the "Ignore" button on every CUSA hater on this forum, just to be able to read threads without all of their crap all the time every day.  Their posts outnumber actual CUSA information about 100 to one.

Of course they will now attack me and say it is all CUSA's fault for using this site for their own free advertising site and they are Forced to post in retaliation.  It is all so very silly and childish.

How is that different to real life. Every new model of Mercedes/Audi/BMW is publicly ridiculed by the competitor. It's no different here. When Commodore USA make the equivalent of a BMW M3 we will have no way to ridicule a product which is so good people buy it despite who it is manufactured by.

If the C64x was better/cheaper it could have made a big difference. The rest of their line up is either a PC with a sticker on it with even worse value for money OR a secret project we all have to fund upfront via 500 sales held in escrow.

Their reputation and treatment here is a direct correlation with the childlike CEO rants and raves and their overpriced/underwhelming products and ideas to date.

Posting here to basically to say "sorry we haven't got a clue what to do with the Amiga name because we are not intelligent enough so please give us a product idea on a plate and pay up front" is never going to help them.

If I come up with the winning idea for what is produced I want my 15% of total gross sales for my efforts.....and that's if I wanted to deal with someone like BS Altman to be honest (which I don't).

Offline Bishop077

• Show only replies by Bishop077
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »
I want to see a Laptop.....

I honestly don't care if its PPC, X86, Old Amiga hardware, or a hamster with an abacus....

I would love CommodoreUSA, MorphOS, Hyperion, Cloanto, or Natami pick a laptop that is commonly found on the market write drivers for it and let me boot Directly into an Amiga (or Amiga like) OS, and have all the parts work for once.

We've seen the laptop conversion mods, etc... But I'm not that handy with a scroll saw.

Can this all be done by the hobbist.... sure... customize a Linux distro that boots into UAE... Ya got it... All the driver support in the world... Yup, but not my point....

If CUSA wants to do something cool, take the design of an Amiga 500 and make a laptop. That is what I want to see... Even if its just CommodoreOS with UAE.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
@Bishop077

That's a handy thing to wish given that's exactly what Hyperion are doing!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Bishop077

• Show only replies by Bishop077
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;673646
@Bishop077

That's a handy thing to wish given that's exactly what Hyperion are doing!

Yeah I read an article on them using a LimePC or something a little while ago.... (brb have to re-google it)...

Ah yes, end of 1st Qtr 2012.  I do like this idea and I will buy one if they find a new "Mr. Hardware Computers" that I can get one though... :D They should probably update the vendor section of their website.. I'm sure someone in America sells their products.... I digress...

Thanks for the news.. I still think if CUSA wants a challenge they should make a C64 or Amiga 500 looking laptop. I'd probably by that too just for the case (if it didn't melt...)

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #283 on: December 30, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;673621
They only own Amiga OS 4.x that's it. They can never make Amiga OS 5 or later as far as I understood it.

Actually Hyperion have exclusive rights to the AmigaOS name, including all subsequent versions including OS5 and beyond. The agreement with Hyperion, Ainc have effetely signed over AmigaOS for good, they can't ever licence the AmigaOS name to any third party companies like Commodore USA,  and I doubt they receive any royalties from current sales of OS4.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #284 on: December 30, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
@Bishop077
Well, just hop over to eBay, invest 150-400$ in a PowerBook 5.6 to 5.9 and wait "2 more weeks".

You'll end up with a computer thats fully useable Amiga-style and has enough power for everyday use (which simple isn't treu for anything based on a 400MHz 603-core).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else