Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 26110 times)

Description:

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
I applaud Leo for coming out and asking this question. At least it is allowing everyone to vent their views and opinions (barring the negativity etc). As even I have my thoughts. If we can get past this…. :)

As I have said before, I have come to believe the Amiga line-up maybe should be split into two parts - a Classic Amiga (to please all retro fans) and a new x86 futuristic-looking Amiga PC either with native AmigaOS functionality built-in to the kernel for the mainstream market (lookup the latest Amithlon Revival Project with Linux kernel). Giving both choices to the market allows people to choose. But most importantly, makes the Amiga brand unique again and not just some 'clone'.

Personally I am in favour of two things. One system that is something akin to a retro A1200 AIO with a Natami/FPGA board or maybe a A1000 replica/A4000T replica - this is something I'd like to buy. An A1000/A4000T replica with a fully working X1000 based board could even be a neat idea.

For the second an x86 system, a new A500 based on the RG Marett designed casing with DVD slot loading drive would be a great model to have - that is something I seriously would like on my desk! If not, one based on your A1000 retro black unit would be ok, complete with the Model M keyboard and black optical wireless 1351 mouse, barring the open sockets on the bottom and huge Amiga logo (which should be shrunk). These would be great additions.

As for software for running these new 'old' machines esp. the Natami versions, I would suggest as companies you try to collaborate on some way where we as users could 'digitally download/buy' all the old games online to transfer them to the new systems (since disk drives are used less nowadays). Architecture is important but so is delivery. And we can't work our machines without software…

As for the x86 system, the bog standard Commodore OS is fine. But if there is a way for Amithlon/Umilator, AROS or AmigaOS to work on the x86 system then all the better….

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
How about one based on the Freescale (Motorola) Qoriq T5? That is a 64-bit PowerPC chip, 28nm process, integrated AltiVec and can have multicore support (up to 24 cores) > http://www.freescale.com/files/netcomm/doc/fact_sheet/QORIQOV.pdf
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:32:43 AM by Middleman »

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »
Quote from: Duce;672509
Dammy, C-USA is not Microsoft.  The idea you'd even remotely compare the two is appalling, regardless of your blind dedication to "the cause".  The Kinect (and your facts are misleading about what you stated about the pre-order factor involving MS directly in a funds down deposit with MS directly) is a completely invalid comparison, and C-USA is not Microsoft.  

MS has a worth of 44 billion dollars roughly, Dammy.  MS doesn't have a pack of insulting, roving fanboys working for free as their ad department.
MS had a revenue of 16 billion dollars, Q4 2011.  

==Duce, would you kindly please refrain from using such language? It is this sort of attitude that is getting us nowhere. I have not insulted anyone here or anyone else on any other Amiga site. I would hope that in the same spirit as fellow Amiga fans I offer this to you, would you please refrain from saying such things (if we are to go somewhere with this thread)?

Honestly I don't know about you, but I could imagine if we at user level, are having such 'heated arguments' about what the next Amiga should be, you could imagine what it was like at engineer level trying to work out the Advanced Amiga. Everyone is running around like a headless chicken. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the issue that caused Commodore to go down.....

Saying that, you have made some valid points earlier about CUSA that I couldn't deny. Yes we had heat issues with our machines…..at least I did with my early C64x Ultimate. And yes certain members who bought CUSA machines didn't have their questions answered, and I was a little bit annoyed by that. I'm not their staff so I do not know what the status of their support is like, but as fellow user I do try to help others when I can when they post something up on C-A.org.

However I will say that regarding the other unanswered questions, is if they are business-related (such as prior agreements/cancellation of projects with other companies) I do know they are not discussed openly by CUSA - this has been mentioned by Barry and Leo before. In this sense I do understand that CUSA has a right (like any other IT company) and acting like any other IT company, from refraining to disclose such information.

Now going back to the issue at hand (the new Amiga), there is certainly one thing I noticed from the recent Amiga Poll that was very startling that I found (amiga-poll.blogspot.com). And that was…..everybody is a PC user. Over 90% of the folks there who answered (including myself), was using a Windows PC for their day-to-day stuff….

Now if you go back to why the Amiga is/was no longer around…..you could say that is your answer. Because as users we have been in a way hypocrites…..we are loyal to the hardware and what it can do (for us), and not the brand. Otherwise why on Earth would so many have a Windows PC as their main machine today? If the Amiga was useful/successful, surely the poll would have reflected this?

Which brings me back to why I think Commodore failed the last time round…..
To be fair it wasn't Commodores fault…..it was because the majority market decided/realised that the Amiga's design was becoming too limited in the face of the x86 design. One thing that users couldn't do for sure was add/change a new graphics card in their system like you do in a PC. This, and the fact that the CPUs could be upgraded. I think these were the two killer points if you will, that killed off the Amiga, in addition to the PC already having an established software support base then…(which added another blow to the Amiga fan base).

Also one thing that differed the Windows PC with Commodore was this. If we look back at the 'success' of the 'Wintel' duopoly, ie. Intel and Microsoft, you will see that they 'built' upon their foundation, year on year. Every year the software or hardware that was produced by the x86 companies would be supporting the same platform. With Amiga however, Commodore first did it as 16-bit, then decided with the AAA/Hombre chipset to scrap its existing software/user base (like it did with the C64) and go onto completely different 32-bit/64-bit designs. This unfortunately I believe was the main reason why Amiga never survived. If you don't have backwards compatibility with your existing software base you lose market share…..

Going back to the question at hand, therefore I see that it is important that for the Amiga of tomorrow, we need to 'build' upon the foundations that is already here, not start afresh. What we do need to decide now on is, which one? At the moment two chipsets stick out for us at the moment, PowerPC and x86. 68k is not valid anymore because noone is making the chips anymore and it'll be hugely expensive to set up such foundaries again, so it is either one of the two. The question now is, what support base shall we work on?

To me, the answer lies with those who answered what machine they are currently using….(you guessed it, the Windows PC). Since it is now our favourite platform, how about going the full hog with developing AmigaOS/AROS on it? That'll clear up the 'decade old' question for good…..

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;672696
Is it me, or is this a very roundabout way of saying "CUSA hasn't been any help at all, so the users have had to step in and help each other?"

==I guess you could say that.... :P
Well CUSA are actually quite helpful but are just currently understaffed (sadly). And being an early supporter myself, well why not? Is there anything wrong with that?

What? Commodore died because you couldn't upgrade an Amiga's video hardware (except that you totally could) and you could upgrade the CPU? How does that make any sense!?

==Yes I think so...it ultimately led to its demise (I believe) because the PC architecture became open-ended. 3D cards (in their early phases anyway) from Voodoo/Hercules and the like was already out for PCs by the time the Amiga 1000 was 4 years old (from what I remember). I mean I was running Corel Draw 3D back in 1989 on a 286 PC and by 1993 I had cards which could display 16.7 million colors and systems that could run CD-ROM. The Amiga couldn't and didn't have much then.....

It's not my favorite platform, or a lot of other people's. The fact that it's the most commonly-used attests only to the Wintel alliance's success in dominating the industry, not personal preference. And any attempt to establish it and "clear up the decades-old question" will do nothing of the sort, it'll only further alienate the non-x86 fans.

==Well I believe it is the low cost of the Wintel systems that has ensured its dominance - this is why it is commonly used. But saying that, some of you in the poll could've answered PowerPC Mac or Android Tablet or Linux-based laptop/PC - why just Windows PC? Just sayin'...

BTW Persia it is not my poll.....someone else put it up, not me...