Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 26108 times)

Description:

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
Quote from: save2600;672000
Pretty much was going to be my response. I'd like to see all that jammed into an original A1000 case. A1000 keyboard and tank style mouse could be wireless too. CF and SD card slot could be hidden discretely behind a panel, where the 1050 normally sat.  :)

Yes.  Here's how that could be done cheaply:

Commodore USA buys Model-M clone keyboards from Unicomp.  The stock keyboard enclosure is jettisoned.  Commodore USA designs a replacement enclosure that is extended in the rear similar to the A1200 or A500.  Natami or other 68k hardware is integrated in the same enclosure as the keyboard.  The end result is that the new Amiga looks similar to a classic Amiga *and* has a bulletproof buckling spring keyboard mechanism.  In other words, it has the look and feel of a well built classic machine.  As a bonus, Model M parts are widely produced and readily available for repairs, etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:52:13 PM by anglosaxonusa »

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;671999
Is he serious? Just in case he is, here's a 100% serious answer:

This "Numiga" project or whatever it winds up being called should be 68k-based. Whether that means an FPGA reimplementation like Natami or if there's some particular ColdFire model that doesn't have the existing ColdFire incompatibilities, or even a plain-old-silicon 68k CPU, I don't care. Just give me an 030/040 with an MMU and FPU running at a peppy clock speed.

It should feature audio and video hardware designed in the spirit of the Amiga chipset, i.e. providing capability through general openness and flexibility. I'm not going to get anal about whether it's truly custom or simply an array of existing parts, as long as it provides a similarly flexible-but-friendly approach to use. An OCS/AGA compatibility mode would be ideal, but if that's not possible, then it can be done in software, I guess.

It should not simply be "a Linux box." If CUSA is (as I've heard) legally prevented from bundling AROS with an "Amiga" branded product, they should at least provide the AROS devs with full hardware documentation so it can be easily ported, and direct buyers to check it out on their website and in the manuals (to whatever extent this is legally feasible.)

Above all, it should not be either a PC clone or an attempt to be a "modern" non-PC clone that puts keeping up with the Joneses ahead of being an interesting, elegant, and affordable system.

Give me something that fits those criteria, and I'll be first in line. I mean that.

+1

If you want the community's help, help the community bring back the 68k.

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
Quote from: rdolores;672085
My vote is for a NATAMI based new Amiga running AOS3 or AROS-68k.  It should be able to use all the latest technologies, USB, SATA, DDR3 RAM, GIG Ethernet, 802.3N Wireless.  Whatever OS is chosen should have a future map including 64-bit, multi-core, Tablet capability etc...  I know this is a tall order, but one can only dream.

Once fast(er) 68k hardware is available the community really needs to focus on developing a decent standards-complaint web browser for AOS3 and/or AROS-68k.  I'd say that would take precedence over 64-bit processors or even some of the more commonplace performance hardware in circulation.  Whether that can be taken care of by programmers in the community or through bounties will need to be determined.  Netsurf looks promising.

Once a user can surf the web and play streaming media from the workbench there will be more incentive for a user to use a "Numiga" in the first place.  

If we're looking for a maxim here, it's this:  "Create 68k Amiga hardware that enables one to use the Amiga as their main *personal* computer today"

Most of the people posting on here are Amiga diehards.  They run Amigas partly for the pleasure of saying they still do so.  Projects like Natami will allow the Amiga diehard to die-harder.  It's like putting another water-tight bulkhead in the Titanic.  

Natami will buy the Amiga time, especially with the web transitioning to the resource-hungry HTML5.  If Commodore USA wants a part of the market they should produce decent cases for Natami.  This will require them to get involved in the Natami project and get input from the fanbase ...something they have not had a sterling track record of.  If Commodore USA can produce a quality case for Natami, people will buy them.  It really is as simple as that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:18:55 PM by anglosaxonusa »

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:34 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;672316
@rodomok said:
"I would love to have a brand spanking new A3000 motherboard to replace  my creaky original. I dump the critical chips from my old board into the  new one, maybe pick up some enhanced features like more ram or 040-060  cpu, blah blah, and I would be all set."
I would love to go this route too, we need new spare parts, maybe more compact or modern design.

+1

I'd love to see replacement parts for classic Amigas.  Hell, even an *exact* copy of the A1200 wedge case back in production and adapter hardware to mount various motherboards in it (original, Natami, PPC, etc).

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
Natami seems to be what most here are waiting for, however, there is still room for a company to create cases to house future Amiga hardware.

Here are some things to consider:

• Produce an *exact* remake of the A1000 case.
  • Produce various adapters for the new case that will allow legacy, Natami, PPC, ATX, mini-ITX and other form-factor boards to reside in it.
  • Repeat the process with the A1200 case.

• Publish the exact specs of the cases as open source standards.
  • Give the cases logical names "Case Type CUSA-A1000" and "Case Type CUSA-A1200".
  • Encourage other companies to make parts for the cases or even entire knock offs.
  • Encourage general PC users to use the cases as well as Amigans.  Appeal to nostalgia.
  • Don't bother marketing a hybrid "Amiga" OS or selling the cases with x86/x64 hardware.  Just sell the cases and market the nostalgia.
  • Build ties with Hyperion and the MorphOS team by marketing the cases as "AmigaOS 4 Certified", "MorphOS certified".  Appeal to the traditionalists with "AmigaOS 3.X" certified", etc.  Spread the word about Natami.

• Defend and market the Amiga philosophy of piles of external devices ("Amiga: the duct-taped computer").
  • Create an external enclosure for SATA harddrives, DVD/CDs, etc.
  • Create an external enclosure for an ATX power supply if possible.

• Keep things beige, angular, and "80s".  Everyone else is doing glossy, black, and sleek.  Go against the grain.

In general, market the Amiga scene in its entirety, not just your company.  Get involved in the community.  Realize that Amigans are looking for hardware, software, *and enclosures* that are in harmony with Amiga's history.  If you have something to offer to the community, offer it.