Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 26096 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
Quote from: Transition;671998
1. The community must definitively decide, through polls or whatever, what exactly it wants a Commodore AMIGA from Commodore USA to be.

I don´t think this is ever going to happen. It´s hard enough to get two Amigans to agree on anything. You might get 500+ orders from them, if you present them with something nice, but I don´t think you can let them decide what it will be.

Being from germany myself I have refrained from ordering the new Commodore 64 and got something else instead, because there is always trouble with international shipping, so I wouldn´t buy anything unless it is distributed in the EU. I however run CommodoreOS (linux mint) on my laptop - exclusively at the moment, because the installer was buggy and deleted Windows from it, even though I selected to install in the other partition (which was the bigger one anyways and therefore preselected).

I wouldn´t make a product for the community - especially not on Amiga.org where you get funny flamewars between red / blue / Natami. The only thing the community agrees on, is that some time in the past, somebody at Amiga definitively got it right. But there is no consensus as to who or when - but Jay Miner is a strong candidate...

So if you really want to play it safe: Build an Amiga 1000 like machine with AGA & RTG in an A2000 tower case with a keyboard garage, let it run on a quad core G5 PPC and be binary compatible to Amiga OS3.9 in hardware and support Amiga OS4.1 and OpenGL and make it play HD 3D Video from BlueRay.:razz:

Oh and sell it for 500$ or below as most of us don´t have as much pocket money as we used to.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:21:19 PM by lsmart »

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;672025
Straight to the point, not messing about! :D

I wonder how many people feel like you do... :)

+1

Its interesting that people DO BELIEVE what ..?
That CUSA can:

-  actually develop system?
- Order from their factories in China if get 500 preorders
- Improve existing  OS4 / AROS-Natami / MOS products?
- Have alliance wih Hyperion/Acube based on joint product Hyperion
   was never asked for?
- Buy existing Amiga product and rebrand it? Which product? And you would again pay more for re-brand?

Its not only a problem that "Community" is not single minded with the plan,
seems neither CUSA is.

The magic question is "what product is"

At the other hand, don`t mind that CUSA will NOT change its way on making its own Amiga line and advertising it.

Making community project secured by community is nothing to lose tactics, while you will not be able to object their main product line that meanwhile goes for advertising, while this project gets NDA. If 500 preorders fails, its the community "is wrong". As CUSA is company that neither designs hardware or software, what  can we believe is that they can rebrand existing products as usual.

Short - many obstacles, little chances of success, win-win of CUSA

Without this:
Natami is closer then ever
MOS 3.x supports more Macs
AmigaOS 4 gets low end and high end hardware next year

Where would be place for new products?

Would it have any effect beside "healing relations wits CUSA"
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
My vote is for a NATAMI based new Amiga running AOS3 or AROS-68k.  It should be able to use all the latest technologies, USB, SATA, DDR3 RAM, GIG Ethernet, 802.3N Wireless.  Whatever OS is chosen should have a future map including 64-bit, multi-core, Tablet capability etc...  I know this is a tall order, but one can only dream.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

Offline vox

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;672083
I. I however run CommodoreOS (linux mint) on my laptop - exclusively at the moment, because the installer was buggy and deleted Windows from it, even though I selected to install in the other partition (which was the bigger one anyways and therefore preselected).

Thanks for sharing the experience.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
Quote:

"Originally Posted by lsmart  
I. I however run CommodoreOS (linux mint) on my laptop - exclusively at the moment, because the installer was buggy and deleted Windows from it, even though I selected to install in the other partition (which was the bigger one anyways and therefore preselected)."

It gave you a free software upgrade.

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
Quote from: vox;672084
Making community project secured by community is nothing to lose tactics, while you will not be able to object their main product line that meanwhile goes for advertising, while this project gets NDA. If 500 preorders fails, its the community "is wrong". As CUSA is company that neither designs hardware or software, what  can we believe is that they can rebrand existing products as usual.

Short - many obstacles, little chances of success, win-win of CUSA
Quite, and that's exactly what I imagine the plan is: make the offer, counting on it not going anywhere, and then go "oh, well, you guys had your chance" any time someone complains about the rest of CUSA's behavior.

Just for the record, Leo & Barry, if that is what you're hoping for, don't bet on it. I'm willing to go along with the thought experiment here, but to the people you've spurned and insulted for the last couple years, it's not going to be enough for you to offer one product - you're going to have to change your entire direction.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline anglosaxonusa

• Show only replies by anglosaxonusa
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
Quote from: rdolores;672085
My vote is for a NATAMI based new Amiga running AOS3 or AROS-68k.  It should be able to use all the latest technologies, USB, SATA, DDR3 RAM, GIG Ethernet, 802.3N Wireless.  Whatever OS is chosen should have a future map including 64-bit, multi-core, Tablet capability etc...  I know this is a tall order, but one can only dream.

Once fast(er) 68k hardware is available the community really needs to focus on developing a decent standards-complaint web browser for AOS3 and/or AROS-68k.  I'd say that would take precedence over 64-bit processors or even some of the more commonplace performance hardware in circulation.  Whether that can be taken care of by programmers in the community or through bounties will need to be determined.  Netsurf looks promising.

Once a user can surf the web and play streaming media from the workbench there will be more incentive for a user to use a "Numiga" in the first place.  

If we're looking for a maxim here, it's this:  "Create 68k Amiga hardware that enables one to use the Amiga as their main *personal* computer today"

Most of the people posting on here are Amiga diehards.  They run Amigas partly for the pleasure of saying they still do so.  Projects like Natami will allow the Amiga diehard to die-harder.  It's like putting another water-tight bulkhead in the Titanic.  

Natami will buy the Amiga time, especially with the web transitioning to the resource-hungry HTML5.  If Commodore USA wants a part of the market they should produce decent cases for Natami.  This will require them to get involved in the Natami project and get input from the fanbase ...something they have not had a sterling track record of.  If Commodore USA can produce a quality case for Natami, people will buy them.  It really is as simple as that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:18:55 PM by anglosaxonusa »

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Quote from: Transition;672088
Quote:

"Originally Posted by lsmart  
I. I however run CommodoreOS (linux mint) on my laptop - exclusively at the moment, because the installer was buggy and deleted Windows from it, even though I selected to install in the other partition (which was the bigger one anyways and therefore preselected)."

It gave you a free software upgrade.

:)

That is the best quote of the day! :)

Offline tone007

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;672043
Does final challenge mean that you guys will finally go away if nothing is worked out?.

Nah, it means "final shot at doing something worthwhile, since our other ideas failed miserably."

I hear death-knell!

edit: wait, I guess that's kind of the same as what you said, spihunter.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:59:01 PM by tone007 »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
Quote from: tone007;672094
Nah, it means "final shot at doing something worthwhile, since our other ideas failed miserably."

I hear death-knell!
That's my theory :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline eb15

• Show only replies by eb15
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
Pre-pay? :roflmao: :lol:  
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laughing:

Offline vox

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;672093
That is the best quote of the day! :)

Truly, a Windows killer. With Intel inside!

Offline tone007

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
[youtube]9jK-NcRmVcw[/youtube]
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
I think these guys simply can't deliver what 'we' want. These guys are completely out there: Multi K$ 'Amiga' peecees aimed at the pros? Best joke I've ever heard :lol: Overheating C64 peecees? Now that's some quality merchandise :lol: Commodore skinned linux OS? Great :lol: What is it exactly that makes that company even interesting in the first place? Peecees with Amiga stickers :lol:

And on top of that they want 'our' money before even having anything at all? Ha ha ha, what a bunch of nut cases :roflmao:

These people need to go away :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:51:06 PM by Thorham »

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;672102
And on top of that they want 'our' money before even having anything at all? Ha ha ha, what a bunch of nut cases :roflmao:

That's because you are wrong.  Money goes to a third party escrow account until the units have shipped.  C=USA doesn't ship, customers get their money back.

That's not going to happen.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 20, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;672102
I think these guys simply can't deliver what 'we' want. These guys are completely out there: Multi K$ 'Amiga' peecees aimed at the pros? Best joke I've ever heard :lol: Overheating C64 peecees? Now that's some quality merchandise :lol: Commodore skinned linux OS? Great :lol: What is it exactly that makes that company even interesting in the first place? Peecees with Amiga stickers :lol:

...and dont forget this is a company that have a $30 Million ad budget!!.