Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12847 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;660378
At the Amiganoid 2011 event held on 17th of September 2011 in Essen/Germany, the MorphOS team were present and demonstrated the latest development version of MorphOS on PowerBooks (among other HW). During this time they also released the news that version 2.8 is "cancelled", and instead MorphOS will bump up to v3.0! Among the news is also a now official announcement of support for Power Book laptop computers from Apple.

Here is a MorphOS developer's comments on the issue:

(Link)

Also, it won't be released before December.

:)

I would think the Power Book support should in itself be enough to convince a lot of people to jump on board. Us MorphOS users have had it good and things are only about to get better!!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
Quote from: Yahoo (bot);660536
Isn't AROS cheaper?

:nervous:

It amuses me how many times people bring this up. :)

Here are your current options:

Figure out how to set up Amithlon with your Hardware and enjoy an amazing fast Amiga experience, faster than you have ever known!

Buy a cheap Mac, throw down a one time payment and register MorphOS, and again enjoy an amazing fast Amiga experience like you have never known!!!

Throw down an ass load of cash and purchase one of the over priced Amiga OS 4.x compatible machines and enjoy an experience which I've heard is not all that fast (wouldn't know, have not been able or willing to afford this option, though my consider the X1000).

Download AROS for free and enjoy it for what it is. Mind you, all your classic Amiga experiences will have to be emulated, and I can assure you that UAE is no where near as fast as Amithlon, especially when it comes to the non WinUAE variants. So basically you will find your self not running classic Amiga software so much as you will be running new software written/ported over for AROS use.

I LOVE AROS, but it's not in the same league as MorphOS which actually allows you to run a large sum of the classic library without the need of emulation. Likewise MorphOS is so far advanced at this point that it is going to take all other Amiga clones a while to catch up with it and by that time MorphOS will be more advanced still!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:17:50 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »
Dunno if this has been asked here before or not, but one thing I've always wondered is if there is going to be any more development put towards backwards compatibility?

Granted, the compatibility is already superb and much better than I honestly expected in many cases, but there are those few apps that still act a little strange.

I noticed that certain paint programs work perfectly, but strangely enough when you drag a window around their environment, you'll notices that the grey background, turns a different shade of grey where ever the box has been dragged.

A MINOR complaint, but something of note none the less.

Then there is OctaMED Sound Studio. OS 4 users are able to enjoy this lovely piece of software, but MorphOS users are met with a frozen screen when they launch the program.

There's a few more that should work, but lock up the system and or flake out, but at the moment I can't think of them, my system's been down for a minute.

Game wise I recall WipeOut running really well, but I think that's the only Warp title that I ever got to run if memory serves correctly.

I was hyped at the prospect of being able to play Shogo on my Morph machine, but alas, I'm one of those lucky few who are not able to get in game sound, though sound works perfectly within the menus.  When ever I have asked for help in regards to this, people tell me over and over again that it's just quirky like that. Sound works for some, not for others.

P.S. Why is ImageFX so much of a pain to get installed without it locking up the system?