Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12848 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
Licensing terms changing anytime soon on MOS, or is there an easier way to transfer ownership?  I've never got a clear answer on how reg's can be decommissioned from machine to machine, and have no intentions on using the same copy on multiple machines - I always pay for way I use, but can (and only would) only use 1 system at a time even if I had 50 regged copies and 50 PPC macs.

I have a couple Mac Mini's running it, unreg.  Love MOS, but don't plan on keeping the mini as a MOS machine, will relegate it to running Linux once I get a beefier Mac for MOS, so I haven't regged MOS yet.  I would in a heartbeat if the registration could be transferred.

That being said, once I do buy a beefier system than the mini's, I'll likely keep my eyes open for an even beefier system if I enjoy the experience.  I have no intentions on selling any of the HW, but don't want to register and pay for an OS multiple times and only end up using one instance of it, you know?

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
If they can lock it to an initial piece of hardware, not sure what the big deal is about transferring said reg. to a different system - making the initial HW entirely incapable of running the regged version MOS was initially registered to.  Even Windows doesn't lock licenses down like that if HW has been decommissioned, the OS can be re-purposed on new HW.

Shame really, I'd even pay a transfer fee for such a service.  Only thing atm keeping me from becoming a regged MOS user.  :(

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
I haven't paid a dime for any updates with OS4.  I can decommission any Windows license easily between hardware, locking out the previous hardware.  I am not trying to be a dickhead, I want answers.  One guy from the MOS camp said "it may be possible if you can prove your mac died in a fire", the others say "no", or simply won't respond.  I'm not trying to screw anyone, I want to pay for a product I like!

Again, the problem being is I have a nice Mac Mini sitting here I would love to register MOS on for the interim, but I know I will end up wanting MOS regged on a more powerful system not long after.  I should be able to decommission said Mini so it simply cannot run said regged MOS again and transfer the license, even if it's on my dime.  For you barking about "piracy", it's locked to hardware keys in some form I assume.  I am not asking for a VLK key or site license deals, lol.  I am asking if ownership of said key be moved to different hardware, and unless they do things in a completely insane way as far as common sense hardware lock-ins go, all I see is a cash grab and inconvenience.

I have no intentions of regging an operating system 4 times over and only using 1 machine, sorry.  The licensing terms are draconian at best and I can't seem to get an answer out of anyone.

I have no interest in buying it now and selling it (MOS) along with the hardware I still want to keep around running Linux.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
I would assume locks to HW are done on unique chip identifiers like on other platforms, whether it be a MAC addy, CPU serial identifiers, BIOS, various firmwares, etc.  Not quite sure how MOS does it, to be fair.  Windows does it in a similar fashion where you generally must call MS to decommission a license, which I recently had to do on an old core 2 quad PC I repurposed from Vista to Linux.  Took 3 minutes on the phone to do.

AFAIK, there has not been any upgrade fee on the 4.x OS 4 updates, yet anyways.  I've not paid a dime thus far anyways, but my SAM came with 4.1 and the only updates have essentially been small "service packs" like u1, u2, u3 so far.  I would not have paid for any of the u1, u2, u3 packs if they were pay for, tbh - and likely won't pay for 4.2 if they decided to charge for that upgrade.  The OS is immature (OS4 - albeit fun), so justifying payment for what is essentially bugfixes is hard to warrant.

I fail to see the difference in a "broken down" machine and a decommissioned machine, I suppose, heh.  Either way, it's a Mac no longer using the software that was paid for.  What is the criteria in such a case?  Not sure what the developers would require as "proof" that a machine is no longer at all functional, and what would be preventing from an otherwise honest guy like me from simply saying "it's broken" and demanding a license transfer and putting said machine on a shelf, never to be used again with MOS or anything else.  Once said license was transferred it couldn't run regged MOS anyways, no different than a broken machine in the end.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:06 AM »
A1260, why does wanting to transfer registration to an entirely different machine - therefore making the original registered copy of the software entirely inoperable in anything other than "demo" 30 minute form on the initial machine make a person a pirate?  Ludicrous claims out of some of you.  To reiterate:  User regs the OS on Mac #1.  User buys a better Mac to use, wants to transfer the OS license to the new Mac, therefore making the initial license entirely invalid on "Mac 1".  User keeps Mac 1 for OS X, Linux, or a doorstop, not that it matters much what he does with it, the end result being is "Mac 1" is no longer considered a MOS box.  How's that equal piracy in the least?

No one wants to invest in one machine/one copy of an OS that they may only use the HW short term, then either be stuck with a copy of an OS on something that's sitting in a closet.  Mac minis make great little linux servers, and that's what I keep 'em around for and will never sell a single one of them (and ebay is a PITA).

Again, read slowly:  some people have no interest in dicking around selling old equipment/SW license combos on ebay if they choose to upgrade to better HW.  When I buy a beefier Mac for MOS, there should be an option to decommission that copy on the now unused hardware, even if it's a pay for service for the reg transfer.  AGAIN - no one is wanting to run 1 copy on 50 different machines, we're talking OS locked to a particular machine.  If I want 10 MOS rigs, I'll register it 10 times and I always pay for what I use.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with piracy and tbh the implications are rather sad, lol.  How the concept of "1 copy paid for, 1 copy used" got so bent out of shape is beyond me.

I'm fine with MOS handling regs as they see fit, but this piracy babble from the fanboys, nah, lol.  I was very eager to start developing for the platform, but man - some of you guys sure can put a guy off with lack of logic.

ONE COPY BOUGHT, ONE COPY USED = PIRACY?  Sorry, your logic is retarded.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
There are many ways a copy of an OS can be locked to a specific set of hardware...  It's been done for many years.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
What part of "lock registered OS instance to unique hardware identifiers" don't you people understand?  Hardware components have unique keys, as does the software.  One will not work without the other, therefore your "piracy" angle is a crock of horseplop.  You can find code on the net going back years on PPC HW how to do this.

It already does this in some form, ffs - it's 15+ year old tech, do your homework.  The issue is decommissioning an OS key from a previous HW "key" to a new one after the old HW component is no longer used or otherwise unfunctional.

I don't care how a particular company chooses to exercise copy protection, but the clownshow going on here and the avoidance that it really isn't 1993 still is hysterical.

Mongo, the USB/dongle model is workable, but not by todays standards.  Most modern PC components have internal serial type numbers that can be tapped into that there's no real need for dongles.  USB ports are too valuable to waste with tacked on bobs of hardware, esp on laptops.

So Takemehomegrandma, what you just told me.  I can reg this now for my Mini, I can come back to the devs with photos of said broken Mini once I find a better machine, politely stating that "this machine no longer works, I would like the keyfile transferred to another PPC Mac".  Right?  Broken original hardware, I can re-use the initial license, yeah?  OK, we're on the same page here.  See the lack of logic?

A scumbag user could also take a hammer to said $25 Mini to save himself a re-reg fee - hell, pull the mobo out and put in in an oven and wreck the traces, mail it to the devs for "proof".  I find it sort of depressing that I would be better off deliberately destroying or otherwise making good HW broken, when people would be happy to pay for transferring a license that is again LOCKED TO ONE HARDWARE INSTANCE and maybe say donating old Mini's to a school or something.  Initial license is invalid!  POOF!  GONE!  HW is no longer in the database, what you paid for is simply applied to a new entirely unique piece of hardware that it again IS LOCKED TO.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:27:23 PM by Duce »

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
Quote from: JJ;665086
No if your hardware fails, the procedure is to contact the MorphOS devs who will inform you of the procedure to obtain a new kwy for your new hardware.

I repeat in the vent of hardware failure you can transfer the key to a new machine after contacting the MorphOS devs.

Who and what differentiates a HW failure from some jerk deliberately wrecking a piece of PPC Mac HW to take advantage of said offering?  I assume you I can kill any piece of hardware in a matter of seconds in an entirely deliberate fashion and no one would be none the wiser.  I could tell you how to pop any cap on a mobo with a single jumper wire and it could never be detected as being deliberately trashed.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
With all due respect to the people in this thread, I just realized I'm not helping the situation in the least by stirring up horseplop here in this thread that was meant to simply inform us all of the next MOS update.  

Apologies, and I'll be in contact with the devs via PM with any concerns I have as it isn't fair to be what must seem like dragging their name thru the mud via their news posting.

If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem - personal note to myself taken, so again - my apologies.

Duce

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;666859
I'll make sure to forward your message on to the MorphOS Developer Team kolla, so they will be ready to provide the appropriate response to your "your all kinds of tricks".

This post isn't a slam towards the MOS dudes at all - in fact, they have been entirely cordial and open to my questions when I contacted them directly, and I appreciate that and it goes a long way to me becoming a registered MOS user.  Now...

It was a valid question that has not been answered, Dave.  The "everyone is a criminal!!111" angle with the A.org clownshow here is getting mighty, mighty old.  I do find it hysterical that this has turned into a piracy argument when there's absolutely no mention of screwing MOS Team over, virtually no chance of it.  I like MOS, as do others.  If it was going to be cracked, it would have been by now, and that would be a real shame.  No one brought up the piracy angle other than you guys, lol.  Despite the HW locked issue, people still seem to have this accusatory tone.  It sucks, and it's harming the good offerings of the product they have.  I'm not stirring the pot to get them to change their reg methods - it's their ball game to run, and I respect that, but the weird accusations, enough.  Your piracy police words took the cake, Dave.

Forward what you want, lol.  Thankfully the MOS team are pretty receptive when asked in private about the ins and outs when you ask them.  I'm sure you've already forwarded all the messages from people that have pointed out that hardware could be maliciously destroyed and passed off as "broken" to the MOS devs in order to milk them out of a re-reg, and conveniently ignored the fact the license is hardware locked to a specific machine to begin with and can't be used twice without cracking reg schemes to begin with.  MOS gets regged cause it's a good piece of kit, it stands on its' own merits - but when people ask simple questions on go the tinfoil police hats.  Really, dude?  Policing a forums and "forwarding messages about peoples tricks"?  That isn't concern for the future of a community nor a product, that's being a weirdo.  You're being a weirdo with such statements, Amigadave - and it makes people uncomfortable.  Certainly you can see that, no?  Colonel Number One User does good!  Forwards all posts from people he thinks are shady!

"What have YOU done for the Amiga?" in the sig?  "Well, I spent some of the day collecting the names and posts of people I suspect are no goodnik future PIE-RATS of a hobby OS that no one has cracked yet, likely due to respect for all the hard work the team puts in, THEN!!!! I sent them in as fact rather than openly debate some politely worded queries from the community!  I'll try and get their IP's and mailing addresses soon for you!!111"  

Report away, I pay for what I use, including the handful of copies I've paid for over the years for WB, Amiga Forever and OS4, and I'll pay for MOS if/when I decide it is for me.

This place gets more offputting by the day.  I can deal with the love of ones particular camp, even though I am entirely neutral on the issue and see all variants as a boon to the Amiga hobby, but man...  I can't get past the creepy police state nonsense that could border on a privacy concern from a guy when it was only an open, public debate.  You might as well have told us you're going through our RL mail and garbage cans, "sniffing for clues", Dave.  Best one yet...  Again, no harm no foul towards the MOS dudes, but man...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:54:35 PM by Duce »