Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12828 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
Well, I'd give it a try, but my PowerBook is a 12" Aluminum (PowerBook 6,4) so no go. Although my Quicksilver G4 should actually be capable of it now that it's got a Radeon instead of a GeForce...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Quote from: itix;664942
I just think not everyone would buy MorphOS license if they were given a chance to use it without cost.
Well, to tell the truth, I was considering leaving a partition on the PowerBook G4 I'm getting for toying around with MOS, which I would've considered registering if I liked it. Now that I find I'm considered a potential pirate for even being interested, and that I'm not even allowed to transfer one license across machines? I don't think I'll be bothering at all. Not many alternative OSes want to be selling themselves on being more restrictive than Microsoft.

Good job, guys. Really sold me on that idea.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »
Oh, the 30 minutes thing is fair enough. But if I can't transfer a license from one computer to another when I sell it, then there's $200 down the crapper.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:55:15 AM »
Basically. And if I can't legitimately use a product without being hamstrung, what incentive is there for me to not pirate it?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
Quote from: A1260;665012
you buy a license to use the software, not to own it for good. you better start reading the little text on the paper that come with your software/product.
Which is why I won't be buying a license. Or bothering with the software, really.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:07:34 AM »
Quote from: itix;665028
When selling the computer you are selling MorphOS  license with it. If you manage to find new buyer interested to use  MorphOS you may get at least some of your money back. So it is not a  total loss.
If I find a MorphOS-interested buyer, I doubt they're going to pay a whole $150 extra for the license, so I'd still come out behind, whereas if I could simply transfer my license, I wouldn't be out anything except hardware costs. I'd even be willing to pay for upgrades if I could do that (upgrades upgrades, anyway, as opposed to bug-fix service-pack stuff.)

Quote from: Cammy;665025
In that time I've found it to be a dream to use, and I would far rather use MorphOS than any other OS like OSX, Linux, Haiku, RiscOS, or that other one from Microsoft.
Ah, I actually really wanted to give Haiku a try, but to my surprise (considering the BeOS heritage) the PPC port is completely unloved by anybody except for apparently one guy who occasionally posts to his blog about efforts to get it going again :( Sad, it looks like a nifty system, and it was incredibly snappy on my little x86 netbook when I tried the live image.

I would like to run something Amiga-based at least as a hobby OS, but I'm moving away from x86 hardware and it seems like that's got the only self-hosting version of AROS at the moment (and if I'm going to run a Linux-hosted system I'll just run Linux,) and with this licensing frolderol I'm a bit turned-off to the idea of MorphOS...maybe I'll at least take a look, though.

Oh, this is my new hardware to run MorphOS 3.0 on come December
Nice :D Is that the 1.67GHz high-resolution model? I've got one in the mail myself :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
Ah. Still, the 1.5GHz G4s are no slouch; even the 1.33GHz model I had briefly gave my 1.6GHz Atom netbook a run for its money. Nice :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Quote from: pVC;665102
BTW. how reliable those USB dongles would be... you can't make backups of them like you can with the keyfile. Suddenly your system is useless if it breaks down or you lose it. And if there wouldn't be any service from the team anymore etc..
While I'm none too keen on the notion of dongles, I would point out that it doesn't have to be an "always plugged in" model. It could simply be the end component of the registration process, plugging it in when un-registering from one machine to put it in "available" state, then into the new machine so that can be registered, at which point it flips to "in use" state. That would make it something you could just lock away in the box with your MOS CD and only pull it out when you're doing a migration; much preferable to the "always-in" model.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
Will it support the internal wireless if I provide the appropriate files from another source? I've got it working under Debian...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Quote from: itix;666858
If you can write SANA-II driver I dont see any reason why it could not be used.
A. I have zero experience writing drivers. [strike]B. this is not an open-source project, I'd be blindly contributing to a codebase I can't see.[/strike] okay, forgot SANA-II was an existing standard. Still, I was asking as a vacillating potential customer; I'd be more interested in something that worked out of the box.

Quote from: amigadave;666859
Provide your information about getting the internal Airport Extreme card working to the MorphOS Development Team, i am sure they will be interested in it,
Uh, I didn't mean to imply that it was arcane magic that only I possess. I installed the b43 package from the repository (actually I'm not sure if this is Debian-general or MintPPC-specific) and it just worked. Looked like it had a utility to pull a proprietary firmware blob from somewhere, but I didn't look into it further than that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:26:53 PM by commodorejohn »