Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15255 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;652964
I don't know why but i can feel the emotion that has gone into the Nemo boards and this wants me wanting to go out and buy one because of this :)

This is a statement that I can completely agree with.  Purchasing an X1000 is an emotional action and I do not disagree with people satisfying their emotional needs, as long as they do it responsibly and still have money for rent and food after their purchases.

Congratulations to Trevor and all the people that have worked on this project to get it to this point.  I hope that the completion of OS4 for this board goes smoothly and quickly, so the eager people that want to buy an X1000 system are able to get a nice working system soon.

OS4 is not for me yet, and may never be in the future, but I am happy for the OS4 users that are so excited to have this new hardware to use.

Personally, I think that it is wise for anyone interested in the Amiga to look at all alternatives before making a purchase decision, but I don't want to diminish anyone's excitement in the X1000 announcement.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653098
I'm no X1000 supporter, but I missed the part where a PowerPC CPU is "standard PC components..."

I'll give $10 to the first person to run Dhrystone on one of these; I want to see how my $375 4x2.5GHz G5 stacks up ;D

I'll give $100 (maybe more) to anyone that can get any Amiga-Like OS to take advantage of 2, 3, or 4 cores of your G5 system, or both CPU's in my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac system.

Until any Amiga-Like OS can run on your (or my) G5 PowerMac systems, the Dhrystone performance of OS4 on the X1000 compared to the Dhrystone performance of MacOSX, Linux, or any other OS on your G5 system, doesn't really interest me.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »
Quote from: cv643d;653111
They could spent 3 years porting 4.2 to Mac-Mini and everyone here could hop on the bandwagon for less money, community would explode again and the money from 4.2 would go into AmigaOS-x86.

Amiga world is like stocks at the moment, makes no sense lol :)

If you are going to start expecting "Sensible Actions" from the Amiga crowd now, you are living in a dream world.

(by the way, I agree that Hyperion made a huge mistake by not completing the work to port to the G4 MacMini.  They could have had it finished long ago and would have 2 to 4 times as many OS4 users right now.  After the disappointing results of comparing OS4 to MorphOS on the same hardware, the Pegasos2, maybe Hyperion did not want to port to another machine where more comparisons would be made that would make OS4 look bad).

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653360
So how much does it cost just for the CPUs themselves and nothing else? I'm guessing maybe $1000 for the pair? Just remember that the Sams come with only a single PPC whereas the X1000 comes as a pair thus explaining such a high cost... ;)

Once you have removed your foot from your mouth, you might want to try reading up on the specs of the X1000 at the A-Eon website, or Google the PA6T CPU before commenting on either of them in the future.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
Quote from: Framiga;653685
mhh! reading between the lines, it "seems" that jorkany and persia are not interested in the X1000. ok then .... next!!!

A typical response to anyone who questions the reasoning behind the creation of, or desire to purchase an X1000.  

So anyone who raises such questions should be ignored and their questions should be erased from all threads about the X1000, so all the Hyperion and A-Eon fans should never have to see them?

Very often in these threads, exaggerations and incorrect information is given by people that really don't know what they are talking about, so it is only natural for others that know the correct information to step in and offer the correct information.  This is almost always seen as an attack on the product and people that would rather just believe the incorrect information (even if this is not exactly what has happened in this thread).

Don't be too quick to criticize others that are offering their opinions and the information that they know, even when you do not agree with them.

Edit:  My point is:  we should criticize less and accept information that is offered as helpful, or informational.  If you don't agree with what is being written as a FACT, and not an opinion, then provide the proof to dispute such incorrect facts.  Arguing with opinions is usually just a waste of time for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:27:35 AM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653861
Amigadave,

Well put. I wish that some members wouldn't criticize people's choices of hardware. How would you like it if we criticized your choice of ice cream?

That would be difficult, as I love almost all flavors of ICE CREAM!  :roflmao:

I will add that people that are not interested in purchasing products in the topics of threads should be careful and mindful of the feelings of those people that ARE interested in purchasing such products and adjust the way they post is such threads.  You don't have to refrain from participating in the discussions, but please don't join in just to piss someone off for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:31:46 AM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:23 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;653863
Actually i thought Framigas comment was right on. The purpose of this thread was to announce an update on the production of a new product and then it was hijacked by pessimists. Please take it somewhere else.

That does not surprise me at all.

As for taking it somewhere else, that is not going to happen, so learn to live with it.  There will always be differing opinions and tastes here on this forum site, and that is part of what makes it a good site, the ability to see all sides of the Amiga experience in one place.  If we can just learn to discuss our preferences in a more civil way, it will be an even better site and much more productive for everyone.  It is the extreme fanatics on all sides that ruin it for the rest of us.

Any announcement regarding the X1000 is bound to be received with cheers of joy, skepticism, apathy, intense to moderate to mild interest and probably a dozen other feelings, with corresponding responses from each of the people who experience those emotions.  It is a controversial project and product, so it is going to receive many different responses.  If you can't deal with that fact, you are going to be upset very often, as news regarding this project increases in frequency toward the completion of the project.  Simply shouting "Shut the F**k Up" to everyone that does not share your enthusiasm for the X1000 project isn't going to work, as I am sure you are aware.

I am trying to stay objective and I am really happy for Trevor to see that he has been able to begin production of the final X1000 motherboard design, but I won't stop sharing my opinions regarding this project, or any other Next Gen Amiga system, just to please some of you who would rather not discuss the pros and cons of any of these systems, or specifically the cons to your chosen system.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:20:33 AM by amigadave »

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
Kesa, you might want to sleep off the 12 pints mentioned in your signature before posting comments about technical details of any computer board designs.  :lol: