Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1  (Read 15158 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
Re: [A-EON updates] The "Golden" Child - Nemo revision 2.1
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »
X86 AMigaOS, something we don't need. If you want X86 use AROS or AMithlon and don't taint the red/blue camps.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:25:59 AM by dreamcast270mhz »
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Tension

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653124
X86 AMigaOS, something we don't need. If you want X86 use AROS and don't taint the red/blue camps.

yes i will please to have the amithlon as a present for my sister in nigeria.my offer is the 500 poundssterling please to give me tracking number i will transfer the moneys thankyouplease. in god be blessed my son

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
Regardless of what anyone thinks about any particular platform, real or not.. ;-)

That's a wicked video.. ;-)

desiv
(Although, now that I think about..  "The Golden Child"??  Really?  I mean, I didn't think it was as bad a movie as the critics did, but..  Really?  ;-)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:28:03 AM by desiv »
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:13 AM »
I wish them and anyone who buys one the best of luck but I just think a linux pc with a quad or 6 core processor just blows it so far out of the water for 1/2 or 1/3 of its price.

Every day I say a prayer that the port to x86 or at least ARM. Staying on dead end power pc is such a waste of a perfectly nice (or will be eventually) OS.

Steven

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:42 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;653132
Every day I say a prayer that the port to x86 or at least ARM. Staying on dead end power pc is such a waste of a perfectly nice (or will be eventually) OS.
I don't have anything against the idea of an Intel or ARM port (as really, I'm not that invested in NG Amigoid OSes,) but I think it's a fallacy to think that PPC is a "dead end" while x86 is going to reign supreme forever. Architectures come and go, wax and wane, often multiple times before they die (if they ever really do.)

Hell, PPC itself was a rising star back in the early '90s, when Intel CPUs were clunky and terrible and RISC was going to be the Next Big Thing that would sweep away everything else forever. (IBM even tried to make that happen with a line of 603-based workstations and laptops, but it seems they forgot that they hadn't actually been the PC-industry leader since they invented a new bus and demanded that people pay them for the privilege of switching to it.) It's still not dead now, but that prophesied revolution certainly never happened.

x86/x64 has had a long and successful run and doesn't appear to be going anywhere for the moment, but this too shall pass. The real goal ought to be to have a portable OS, not to find the most popular architecture of the moment and hitch your wagon to that thinking it's always going to be there for you.

(And anyway, I don't believe PPC is a dead end, not while there's still plenty of inexpensive PPC hardware out there for the taking, much of which is quite good. Apple's made some shoddy machines for the low-end markets, but their high-end machines have been built to last, all the way back to the Mac II. I've just saved three G4 Power Macs from the recycle center, and for all the battering they've taken and as old as they are, they still run like new!)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:23 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;653090
Really? By an X1000 today and sell for a profit in a few years time.

You know, the second hand market for OS4 hardware hasn't exactly been rocketing, we have that black on white. I doubt many people have sold their gear with profit, it's more like they should be glad if they find someone to buy it at all. Not that strange either, when pretty much all potential customers that happens to be interested in OS4 for some reason, has such a great interest in it that they already bought their gear for it (meaning: a great deal of the whole potential market already bought it). At $2500+ only the most extreme OS4 extremists will buy it (those who would buy anything with a boing ball slapped onto it, at any price, no matter what they get for their money). When these people bought it (how many, 100? 200? 300?), the market will be completely saturated. And if you *really* believe that at that point there will be such a strong demand from the "second hand market" after that point, that it will push up the price far beyond those initial $2500+ so you can make a profit on it, then I'm afraid there is something very fundamental you simply don't understand.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:01 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;653093
The C64X is standard PC components on a PCB inside a *very cool custom case* sold at *a quarter* of the X1000 price to brand name followers.

2) Erm...selling to brand name followers? You are a very confused person...CUSA anyone?

(I'm quoting myself now, to see if you will see it yourself...)

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 05:00:52 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653096
Don't throw stones if your house is made of glass, we are all Amiga fans and we shouldn't be quarreling, its like Vanilla vs. Chocolate, or maybe Toyota vs. Mercedes. Why do people buy a Mercedes?

Ah, a car analogy, how original. OK, I'll play along. Sure there are people buying Toyota Yaris cars, and there are people buying Mercedes SLK cars.

But you won't find people paying the Mercedes SLK price for a Toyota Yaris class car, buying from a car manufacturer that has proven incapable of providing the most basic support for important features a new-car owner in 2011 would expect, like breaks, transmission and instrumentation. This is X1000, and this is Hyperion with their OS.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;653132
I wish them and anyone who buys one the best of luck but I just think a linux pc with a quad or 6 core processor just blows it so far out of the water for 1/2 or 1/3 of its price.

Steven

ARM would be OK, but PowerPC is not dead end. I use only PowerPC macs and they continue to run circles around most windows PCs other people I know own
I don't want to support Intel because the stuff out there is not anywhere near as good of quality as a PowerPC G4 Powerbook. Have had it for two years, its the nicest, prettiest and most inexpensive computer I have ever paid for (300) and it runs jsut fine. As long as good quality hardware remains, PowerPC is not dead. In a technical sense, Classic Amiga is dead then and we should move on, from reasoning presented from takemehomegrandma.

If you like Intel, use AROS, I personally hate it, and don't really want anything to change, except for a successful A1 X1k and such. If we could bring down the price of PPC Hardware by reaching into another market, somehow and some way, then I see a good future. If we go X86, we go the way of BeOS.
My machines:
iPad 2

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653098
I'm no X1000 supporter, but I missed the part where a PowerPC CPU is "standard PC components..."

Well, it was exactly that during longer than a decade, and the fact is that this very CPU was designed for potential use in year 2007 level Apple laptops, so you are wrong. But in a way you are right; the PPC doesn't even qualify to neither "PC" nor "Desktop" anymore, that era ended half a decade ago (today PPC is used for routers, printers, cars, etc). And if this is your criteria for "being Amiga", then there is something fundamentally wrong. I don't say that standard PC components would be bad in any way, rather the opposite actually, it's the only way to go. But don't pretend that the x1000 would be something it isn't; IT IS a motherboard with BOG-STANDARD PC CONTROLLERS, offering very little (anything at all?) over a 2007 level PC (which probably even used the very same controllers). So when some people are claiming that the C64X is "bad" because of it being "just an overpriced PC", but the x1000 isn't, then there is some serious confusion in the air, especially if you look at the very cool and nicely done C64 case vs. the x1000 bog-standard PC case, and especially if you think the "overpriced"  part over one more time.

If you want new, exiting *Amiga* hardware, you should take a look at the "Natami" project... :)

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:36 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;653123
If you are going to start expecting "Sensible Actions" from the Amiga crowd now, you are living in a dream world.

(by the way, I agree that Hyperion made a huge mistake by not completing the work to port to the G4 MacMini.  They could have had it finished long ago and would have 2 to 4 times as many OS4 users right now.  After the disappointing results of comparing OS4 to MorphOS on the same hardware, the Pegasos2, maybe Hyperion did not want to port to another machine where more comparisons would be made that would make OS4 look bad).

+1

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
Dumping PPC was the smartest thing Apple ever did. They were getting flogged in the market place and all but the flagship, top shelf PPC gear they came out with were dogs. I don't get all the fond memories people have for Mac PPC, sure they were built well and built to last but they were always second rate in performance and more expensive.

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 05:36:36 AM »
Quote from: spihunter;653104
There is a reason I have takemehomegrandma on my ignore list here..........

Yeah, keep your tin-foil hat tightly glued on...

:lol:

Edit:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:40:47 AM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline dreamcast270mhz

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
Second rate? Maybe at the end but the G4s always outclassed Pentium 4s running at twice the clock rate. More expensive? Definitely, but the new ones are just as expensive and are nowhere near the quality of the PPC macs, but they are definitely better than you average crap x86/64.

Saying Intel is better than PPC is like saying an M16 is better than the AK47, sure the M16 has modern, but useless features, but the AK47 is robust, effective and simple in design, like PowerPC. The designer of the AK, quoted:
"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov
My machines:
iPad 2

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:58 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;653148
Well, it was exactly that during longer than a decade, and the fact is that this very CPU was designed for potential use in year 2007 level Apple laptops, so you are wrong.
Well, if you're going to define "standard PC" to include Apple's pre-Intel Macs, I suppose, but I don't know of anyone else who extends the definition that far... :/
But in a way you are right; the PPC doesn't even qualify to neither "PC" nor "Desktop" anymore, that era ended half a decade ago (today PPC is used for routers, printers, cars, etc). And if this is your criteria for "being Amiga", then there is something fundamentally wrong.
I actually said nothing at all about what makes an Amiga. And that's not how I feel about it anyway; when it comes to the Amiga I'm a 68k man all the way. I just don't think that PPC is a "dead end," or that i7 is the Second Coming and of Intel's kingdom there shall be no end.

But just because PPC has fallen out of favor currently (though if you haven't noticed, RISC architectures have been making quite a bit of a comeback, when you factor in smartphones and other mobile devices, and PPC specifically is doing all right, what with driving all three of the current-gen game consoles,) that doesn't mean that it doesn't have a future. The industry moves in unpredictable ways, and it may be that someone's going to come along and do for the PPC architecture what Core 2 did for Intel, pulling it out of its slump and making it a major player again. Or maybe not. Who can say? Fate is fickle.

I do agree that the X1000 is overpriced and underpowered (as I've said multiple times, I'm not an A-eon defender, and I certainly have better uses for $2500 than buying something that probably isn't as good as my G5 Power Mac.) I just don't think it's fair to tie the X1000 and the PowerPC architecture as a whole up in one inextricable bundle.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 05, 2011, 05:56:37 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;653148
Well, it was exactly that during longer than a decade, and the fact is that this very CPU was designed for potential use in year 2007 level Apple laptops, so you are wrong. But in a way you are right; the PPC doesn't even qualify to neither "PC" nor "Desktop" anymore, that era ended half a decade ago (today PPC is used for routers, printers, cars, etc). And if this is your criteria for "being Amiga", then there is something fundamentally wrong. I don't say that standard PC components would be bad in any way, rather the opposite actually, it's the only way to go. But don't pretend that the x1000 would be something it isn't; IT IS a motherboard with BOG-STANDARD PC CONTROLLERS, offering very little (anything at all?) over a 2007 level PC (which probably even used the very same controllers). So when some people are claiming that the C64X is "bad" because of it being "just an overpriced PC", but the x1000 isn't, then there is some serious confusion in the air, especially if you look at the very cool and nicely done C64 case vs. the x1000 bog-standard PC case, and especially if you think the "overpriced"  part over one more time.

If you want new, exiting *Amiga* hardware, you should take a look at the "Natami" project... :)

I would have to say there is something fundamentally wrong WITH YOU if you think a crappy Chinese made c64x is classier than a X1000. Next you are going to start praising iconatain's range of 'Amiga' tablets. Do you have any class whatsoever?

Also there is nothing 'bog-standard' about the x1000. How many other custom designed ppc boards are out there with a Xena chip on board? The Sams are pretty crappy in my opinion as i think they are just a makeshift motherboard without much care or thought going into them. But the X1000 is different as it was designed from scratch upwards.

The case is also custom. Sure it is based on another already existing case but it has been modified so it is no longer 'bog-standard'. It is custom.    

I also think the X1000 will be worth more than the Sams in resale value because they are different to the Sams (see above). I think it is perfectly possible for the Nemo boards to increase in value. Some of the most desirable collectors items were financial failures that later became cult icons. Thus increasing in value. An example of this is the Walker.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.