Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 28126 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 24, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;624374
The key issue, IMHO, is not performance, but price/performance ratio and price in absolute terms.
The future T5020 or T5040 may indeed prove to be very fast but if they're too expensive then it's quite pointless. A X1000 succesor should be (considerably)cheaper to make sense, IMHO, and ensure bigger production run.

I wonder if A-eon could achieve better economies of scale to sell both MOS and AOS4 systems. I guess as long as ben hermans is involved that is out of the question probably.

I get the impression that Trevor Dickinson would like to do just that. But there are some hard feelings between Ben Hermans and the MorphOS development team. Also, Hermans with his ties to Hyperion has a vested interest in making sure that hardware designed to run AOS4 comes bundled with that OS.
Thats why, even if you want to run Linux on your SAM, you're forced to purchase a copy of AOS anyway (you can't buy an Acube motherboard without AOS bundled with the system).
This is another reason you don't see ports of MorphOS to Acube or A-eon motherboards. Sales of those boards for use under MorphOS would increase AOS4 sales.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;624495
Can I run AmigaOS (TM) on it?

:roflmao:

That IS kind of the point, isn't it? You can't run AROS or MorphOS on an X1000, but that's not the point.
We no longer see too many blue vs red arguments (they're similar but different OS'), but why do we constantly have to hear "AROS is faster". "AROS runs on cheaper, common X86 hardware".

AROS won't run AOS4 apps (even MOS can run some AOS4 apps with a wrapper).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:05:50 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Quote from: Fats;624611
... yet.

... yet.

Point is everything is possible with AROS if a developer wants to scratch an itch.

greets,
Staf.

True of about every development environment Staf. I haven't heard from you recently. How are your projects going?

BTW - That statement "Trust me...                                              I know what I'm doing", I find it disturbing. For some weird reason I can picture people in Fukushima using it. Sounds like something that would trigger my instinct to flee.:roflmao: