Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 28110 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »
Even though I am not currently an AmigaOS4.x user, I wish I had the money to buy one of these boards when they first come out.  (Why?, well I am not sure there will be a second production run of them and what Trevor and friends have done is historic in the land of Amiga.  It is nice to own a piece of history, specially when there are so few pieces that are the same as yours.)

Congratulations on the progress Trevor!  Looking forward to the day when you finally release this project and I hope that it turns out as well as it can for you, a true Amiga Fan that you are.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
Quote from: mechy;623746
Obviously we can only know what aeon lets us know,and i have read their site.thats how i came to the conclusion this is nothing special.the obscure xorro bus is useless unless there are drivers to drive some unknown hardware plugged in...which doesn't exhist.

you can call it your new blender if you like.it doesn't make it amiga.But im sure you'll get yer boing stickers and such out to plaster all over the generic pc tower its in.the A1000 was something that had not been seen or thought of,it was custom built from scratch.the 3 main custom chips were built from scratch.

The original amiga 1000 had some custom chips you may of heard of,denise,agnus,paula etc.. ever heard of these?. so no its not valid.the x1000 is off the shelf parts.it bring nothing new to the field currently other than a dual core processor and some xmos stuff tacked on.

so that leaves me wondering if you've ever touched a real amiga let alone know what it is. lol

mech

I don't totally disagree with everything you say, but you don't give the X1000 any credit for the differences it will have.  No, it is not comparable to the A1000 when it was first released, but I doubt any system in the future will ever match what the A1000 accomplished.  I also agree that the X1000 has been over hyped by some people.  I don't buy into all the claims that have been made, but I do admit that the X1000 will be unique in the world of personal computers with the features they are including on the Nemo motherboard.  Yes, you are right that the XMOS chip and Xorro slots have no implementation (yet), but that is part of the excitement and difference this board brings to hobby computing, the chance to invent something new, not thought of before, or at least not created before on any hobby computer.  It is a gimmick and might never bear any fruit, but there is a chance that someone might get creative and lucky and come up with something just as interesting and groundbreaking as the NewTek Video Toaster was, when it was first released.  No one can tell what will be created in the future with this unique motherboard design and odd, technically crippled OS from the past.  I don't have any hopes that the X1000 is going to be a commercial success, or that it will bring the Amiga out of obscurity, back into the main stream of computing, but I am curious to see what happens over the next 2 to 3 years with it and hope for the best for Trevor.  If I had unlimited funds, I would even buy an X1000 for myself, just because it will be the fastest and best way to run AmigaOS4.x and due to the scarcity of the PA6T, will likely be a very limited edition product in the long and twisted history of the Amiga.

I am a MorphOS2.x user and fan, but that does not stop me from admiring what Trevor set out to do (I feel sorry for him because of the difficulties and skeptics he has to deal with to complete this project, plus I don't trust his partner, Mr. Hermanns, and I don't think he was told the truth at the beginning of the project, before he started spending thousands of dollars on it).

Stock up on the popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show, because the X1000 is going to be full of surprises (and probably disappointments) along it's long journey from inception to final product.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;623813
......... at least offered a semi sane price tag.

Sane prices and anything related to the Amiga community are contradictions of terms.  :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:50 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;623991
I don't think its fair to expect small production runs of relatively specialized boards to be price competitive with mass merchandised PC motherboards.

Sane? Are any of us sane?

I'm actually looking at a motherboard that would be half as fast as the X1000 with a single core processor. And it would still cost hundreds more than a cheap X86.

Exactly my point!  None of us are sane to be spending the amount of time and money we do on outdated, underpowered computer systems that can't do any tasks that cheaper and faster systems could do.

But I don't mind being insane so much and sometimes I actually am proud of it.