Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 28042 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« Reply #119 from previous page: March 23, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;623957
Sane prices and anything related to the Amiga community are contradictions of terms.  :)

Well for example, I don't recall the Pegasos 2 to be "insanely priced" for its specifications/performance back in 2004. Sure, maybe somewhat high priced on the introduction in comparison to cheap-end x86, but never insane, and it actually dropped gradually during its entire time in the market.

The lowest price for a new Pegasos 2 happened just before it left the market; $399 (incl 1GHz G4 CPU card).
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624112
..The lowest price for a new Pegasos 2 happened just before it left the market; $399 (incl 1GHz G4 CPU card).

good luck trying to find a nice Peg2 remotely close to that price nowadays;)...nice boards even today for running AOS & MOS & even AROS (i think?)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;624113
good luck trying to find a nice Peg2 remotely close to that price nowadays;)...

Well who would have known? ;)

nice boards even today for running AOS & MOS & even AROS (i think?)

It's *the best* option for OS4 today. When it comes to MorphOS, then a Mac Mini (or PowerMac) is both much cheaper and more powerful...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624114
Well who would have known? ;)

LOL..I tried for quite a while to find a PegII before buying my Samflex@800 with no luck. Today I'd personally buy the new Sam460ex by ACube fopr the same price range over the old PegII's (to run Os4.x anyway) so as to be able to use the new pci-e video cards & also because ACube has proven time and again to deliver good quality products with great customer support

err anyhow back to the topic, great news that A-Eon & Varisys are back on track with the X1000..it's gonna be a special machine for many of us :-)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:44:45 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
production being in progress at 18th the boards should be ready any day now. at least this is what im accustommed to, as progress reports individual computers provide on a1k.org when assembling their hardware. looking forward to status update.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
There is a PegII listed on MorphZone.org
Listing states the following.

"For sale is Pegasos II system:

- AmigaOS 4.1 original CD with BOX and manuals
- PowerPC G4 @ 1133 MHz (cooling changed to better one)
- 1 GB RAM (in one single module)
- DVD-RW drive
- 80 GB hard disk
- Radeon 9250 128 MB graphics card
- ATX PSU
- Low Profile black case

Price: 475 EUR ono

Sell of the mobo + CPU card only or any other combination of above components is possible !

Pictures available per e-mail."

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7779&forum=38

475 euros with AOS4 - a complete system (faster than a SAM460 - for less money)
Sounds like a good deal.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
Quote from: mechy;623751

What you have described is the typical,everyday modern PC,

No idea why you think so - he clearly wrote: "the X1000 will once more make..."

except its specs are way slower

Specs can't be slower or faster according to my understanding - they can be better or worse than those of the object in comparison.

and has a xmos chip tacked on thats of no practical use currently

The emphasis should be on "currently"...
Regarding the future you should use your imagination.

.. OH! and costs what,nearly 4X as much..LOL

That's O.K. for me as long as it thrills me 4x as much...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;623813

The Sam 460 seems to have been completely ignored in this and that machine, despite it's inherent limitations at least offered a semi sane price tag.

Yeah, as this machine is targetted at end users, while the A1 X1k is targetted at developers and geeks.
As I think there are more "end users" in this community than developers, it seems logical to me that the A1 X1k will be produced in lower volumes and thus be more expensive.
To me that makes sense...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;624059

Oi! That was my idea!

Really?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
Dual Core systems and 64 bit new in the Amiga field ? My 3 years old 3.86ghz core2duo AROS box would beg to differ, as would the 64bit version of AROS.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;624231
Dual Core systems and 64 bit new in the Amiga field ? My 3 years old 3.86ghz core2duo AROS box would beg to differ, as would the 64bit version of AROS.

As much as we like to make the comparison, neither MorphOS or AROS are AmigaOS. And in my post I specifically mentioned PPCs.
Dual core and 64 bit are new features for Amiga related PPC systems.

That's why I'm looking into Freescale's new P5 processors. They're 64bit and some offer dual cores.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624275
That's why I'm looking into Freescale's new P5 processors. They're 64bit and some offer dual cores.

Unless they're significantly cheaper then PA6T all they're good for is looking at them :lol:

Offline Iggy

« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
We're not sure what the prices will be like. And they have some disadvantages when compared to the PA6T (no Altivec until the next revision, less PCIe lanes), but they do have a faster clock speed (2.2 Ghz).
But the main advantage is that the P5 is just going into production and the PA6T is out of production. A-eon has already mentioned the e5500 cored processors as a possible successor to their current processor.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624293
We're not sure what the prices will be like. And they have some disadvantages when compared to the PA6T (no Altivec until the next revision, less PCIe lanes), but they do have a faster clock speed (2.2 Ghz).
But the main advantage is that the P5 is just going into production and the PA6T is out of production. A-eon has already mentioned the e5500 cored processors as a possible successor to their current processor.

Yeah I know, I was midly joking in my original reply :)

The problem with e5500 cored CPUs is quantity. The smallest order if I remember correctly is 20 000 units. If A-eon goes and uses these processors in a hypothetical successor to the X1000 and they buy a few hundreds of them then the final product will be no cheaper then the X1000 as the CPU will again be very expensive(if I remember correctly, Trevor said that the PA6T is around 450-500 $).

Offline Iggy

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;624297
Yeah I know, I was midly joking in my original reply :)

The problem with e5500 cored CPUs is quantity. The smallest order if I remember correctly is 20 000 units. If A-eon goes and uses these processors in a hypothetical successor to the X1000 and they buy a few hundreds of them then the final product will be no cheaper then the X1000 as the CPU will again be very expensive(if I remember correctly, Trevor said that the PA6T is around 450-500 $).

I'm sure Freescale will sell them in lots of 100. But as you pointed out, the problem is price. They may not be any cheaper than the PA6T and the features do offer some drawbacks.
BTW - Having exchanged some messages with Trevor I'm inclined to believe the price range you mentioned.
So the future does give us some interesting options.

I've even discussed resurrecting the development of an MPC8610 based board with Bill Buck (due to his posted projects on the power2people website).
Although I'm not sure that sub 2.0Ghz 32bit PPCs make sense with the availability of cheap Apple G4s.

However, right now the P5010 and P5020 are some of the most powerful PPCs available.
And the future T5020 and T5040 will feature AltiVec instructions, 2.5 Ghz operation (or higher), more cores, and possibly some additional changes.
And then there's APM's Mamba and the other two unnamed processors listed on their roadmap after Titan.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:31:12 PM by Iggy »

Offline WolfToTheMoon

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624341

However, right now the P5010 and P5020 are some of the most powerful PPCs available.
And the future T5020 and T5040 will feature AltiVec instructions, 2.5 Ghz operation (or higher), more cores, and possibly some additional changes.
And then there's APM's Mamba and the other two unnamed processors listed on their roadmap after Titan.

The key issue, IMHO, is not performance, but price/performance ratio and price in absolute terms.
The future T5020 or T5040 may indeed prove to be very fast but if they're too expensive then it's quite pointless. A X1000 succesor should be (considerably)cheaper to make sense, IMHO, and ensure bigger production run.

I wonder if A-eon could achieve better economies of scale to sell both MOS and AOS4 systems. I guess as long as ben hermans is involved that is out of the question probably.