Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News on the X1000!  (Read 19336 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: News on the X1000!
« Reply #134 from previous page: March 10, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;620929
What schedule would that be that you're talking about?  The X1000 was supposed to released late last summer, then it slipped to the fall, now it's Spring of 2011 and it will continue to slip.  It's vaporware just like the last NG Amiga system that was offered by Adam Kowalczyk of ACK Controls back in 2007.  The X1000 is just a repeat of that fiasco and the specs for both systems are about equal.  The X1000 will be a failure even if it does see the light of day.  Not many people are willing to pay $3000-4000 USD for a systems that's already lagging by about 6 years.  The only thing special about the X1000 is the lack of performance for the price.

Just to clarify here, the systems announced by Amiga Inc. to be produced/designed by ACK controls were contingent on funding from Amiga Inc. which never materialized.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline number6

« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;620937
Just to clarify here, the systems announced by Amiga Inc. to be produced/designed by ACK controls were contingent on funding from Amiga Inc. which never materialized.

Actually Adam was only responsible for design.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
Quote from: number6;620938
Actually Adam was only responsible for design.

Yes, thank you, you are correct.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;620929
What schedule would that be that you're talking about?  The X1000 was supposed to released late last summer, then it slipped to the fall, now it's Spring of 2011 and it will continue to slip.  It's vaporware just like the last NG Amiga system that was offered by Adam Kowalczyk of ACK Controls back in 2007.  The X1000 is just a repeat of that fiasco and the specs for both systems are about equal.  The X1000 will be a failure even if it does see the light of day.  Not many people are willing to pay $3000-4000 USD for a systems that's already lagging by about 6 years.  The only thing special about the X1000 is the lack of performance for the price.

It's a little harsh comparing a system that is known to exist with a Bill McEwen backed project that apparently never made it past the press announcement stage.

Yes, the infamous "I believe" ad lists availability as 2010 (doesn't look like they're going to make that one). But all recent statements have indicated that release to the beta testers is imminent and that Hyperion has received the first five boards.
So they seem to be back on track and meeting their revised time lines.
While I will not be a customer for this product (as apparently you won't either), I do think very highly of the firm that designed it (Varisys).
We're I to look for a partner to build a P5020/P5010 motherboard, this company would be one of my first choices.

And yes, the price is high, but you know if I had it I'd pay the $4000 for the Freescale evaluation board I previously mentioned and it doesn't have either AOS or MOS support.

No one's forced to buy the X1000 and its performance/price ratio isn't good. But when available it will be the highest performing PPC based NG system available.
Some people are willing to pay a premium for this.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"