Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS  (Read 11065 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: I received mac mini and installed MorphOS
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Welcome aboard! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »
Which is better for MorphOS
A Power mac FW800 MDD with dual 1.42 GHz processors
or a 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini?

Can MorphOS use dual processors?  In theory AmigaOS should, as it is preemptively multitasks.   However I have never seen dual processors implemented in AmigaOS that way.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;688903
or a 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini?

Want Big box, room for HDD's etc, ability to expand and ability to get top notch CPU card replacements? Then go for the PowerMac!

Want a tiny, sleek and sexy box that has every thing most people would need inside the case, and a CPU that outperforms many of the PPC's out there? Then go for Mac Mini!

Can MorphOS use dual processors?  In theory AmigaOS should, as it is preemptively multitasks.   However I have never seen dual processors implemented in AmigaOS that way.

No it can never get true SMP, has nothing to do with multitasking, but due to certain Amiga design characteristics. Changing this will mean breaking the Amiga.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 03:01:21 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;688569
I have just one thing to say, i received the mac mini and did a fresh installation of MorphOS and one thing I have to say about this OS is this:

:knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel::knuddel:

I LOVE IT! I love the sexy blue look, the feel, the speed, performance, the simplicity and the fact it have My MorphOS like My Computer in Windows XP and above.

I finally was able to watch a movie on an Amiga and I have to say this, I treat MorphOS as a real Amiga as I would treat my Amiga 1200. And I believe MorphOS is as real of an Amiga as AmigaOS 4.1 is an AmigaOS. I love the operating system and I personally feel it is a serious OS not just a toy.  

The only downside I have with it is that there is no laptop version of MorphOS and it is restricted to Mac Mini G4 PPC. Now if the intention is never to migrate it to x86 I am not going to complain all I ask is that migrate it to PPC G5, where a 550 dollars worth of the old Macintosh desktop G5 with duo-co processor and can have 16 Gb of RAM and it is a desktop PC where I can upgrade it with expansions instead of the restrictions of Mac Mini G4.

But personally I want it for the laptop, at the end of the month I am going to register MorphOS and become a long term MorphOS user.

HMMMMPH!!!

Another traitor to the Amiga, have you tried printing a picture yet, bet you can't do it, what sort or SPECIAL PRINTER do you need to print with.

Have you tried recording audio, or how about using Kindle to read a book?
Bet you can't play Windows games.

Can you buy new software for it at the local software store or Steam?

I know there has to be a party pooper somewhere, and I guess I am it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. God why do I have such morality problems in using a MAC.

I will not go over to the dark side no matter what you Mac fanboys say.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Minuous

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 03:49:34 AM »
@smerf:

I don't see what a piece of Amazon hardware has to do with MorphOS, or any other OS for that matter.

And it's unsurprising that an Amiga-like OS doesn't run Windows programs.

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;688908
Want Big box, room for HDD's etc, ability to expand and ability to get top notch CPU card replacements? Then go for the PowerMac!

Want a tiny, sleek and sexy box that has every thing most people would need inside the case, and a CPU that outperforms many of the PPC's out there? Then go for Mac Mini!

No it can never get true SMP, has nothing to do with multitasking, but due to certain Amiga design characteristics. Changing this will mean breaking the Amiga.

Does anyone know:  Will MorphOS be supporting g5 processors in version 3.0?

It does effect if one will rather go for a big box mac or a mac mini.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
@motormoth

no g5 support in 3.0 and possibly never

@amigaclassicrule

congratulations and good nickname =)

@smerf

shut up moron
a1200 060

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;688903
or a 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini?

No SMP support in Amiga (or Amiga like) OS' yet. Although MorphOS' kernel can support more then one processor.

A dual FW800 1.42 GHz Powermac is better then a 1.5 GHz Mac Mini because the Powermac uses a 7455 processor with an L3 cache and the Mac Mini uses a 7447 processor with no L3 cache.
Also, you can expand a Powermac in ways you can't a Mac Mini (better video cards, sound cards, USB 2.0 cards, and once 3.0 is released SATA cards).

Quote from: kickstart;688958
@smerf
shut up moron
:razz:

Hey Smerf,
I use an HP inkjet printer with MorphOS.
It works fine and it was cheap.
Many of the printers supported by MorphOS can be had on Ebay. Some starting at about $25.

Its a lot easier then finding a printer that supports legacy Amigas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:16:30 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
Quote from: Nicsoft;688615
Maybe there is enough MorphOS users out there now (?) to start up a MorphOS User-Forum (intstad of having to post on Amiga-Forums)!?

For example: http://www.morph.org

Nice troll
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;688946
Does anyone know:  Will MorphOS be supporting g5 processors in version 3.0?

It does effect if one will rather go for a big box mac or a mac mini.

Not in a foreseeable future, that's for sure. Probably never. And if it *will* happen, I guess the prices on G5 machines will have dropped even further by then.

Go for a Mac Mini, PowerMac G4 or why not a PowerBook of the right model instead, keep away from the G5! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;689024
Not in a foreseeable future, that's for sure. Probably never. And if it *will* happen, I guess the prices on G5 machines will have dropped even further by then.

Go for a Mac Mini, PowerMac G4 or why not a PowerBook of the right model instead, keep away from the G5! :)

While we disagree on the need for a G5 port, I think we're both in agreement on this.
Never buy a piece of hardware for MorphOS unless support for it has been announced.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline WeiXing3D

• Show only replies by WeiXing3D
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
I am considering to make the same move. Provided that someon already has a Mac Mini G4, besides MorphOS what else is needed to make it work as an Amiga PPC? My intention is to be able to run AmigaOS 4.1, but I'd also love to play and use classic Amiga software. Is the late even possible?
Amiga 1200 fully loaded by Aclii.
AmigaONE X5000 with OS4.1 FE
FPGA Arcade board in miniITX case with AmigaOS3.9 and WB 3.1.
MorphOS 3.9 in Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz, PowerBook & Power Mac G5
Acer Aspire One with AROS Icaros Desktop 2.1.1 &
MiST FPGA Minimig Amiga AGA Workbench 3.9 PFS3 configuration.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »
Quote from: WeiXing3D;696295
I am considering to make the same move. Provided that someon already has a Mac Mini G4, besides MorphOS what else is needed to make it work as an Amiga PPC? My intention is to be able to run AmigaOS 4.1, but I'd also love to play and use classic Amiga software. Is the late even possible?

MorphOS and Amiga OS 4.1 have nothing to do with each other, other than being Amiga like next gen OS's that both run on PPC machines.  MOS will run on the old PPC Mac's, Amiga OS 4.x will not (officially, anyways).  If you wanted to run both I guess you could track down a Peg or something.

MOS supports a fair bit of legacy 68k software out of the box, but for a good chunk of it, like games, you will likely need to use an emulator.  OS4 is the same in this regard, and the process is sort of hit or miss, IMO.  Fact is neither the Mac's with MOS, or the SAM/A1/1000x/etc have the original Amiga custom chips on them, so if programs are looking to bang hardware directly, emulation is usually the only solution.

You'd be sorely disappointed in either solution if it was your intent to only run Amiga legacy apps/games, since you can emulate old HW on a commodity PC for free really via UAE.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 03:24:17 AM »
Can anyone explain to me in detail WHY they will not or have not yet added g5 support?

I would think its not so difficult, but then I never programmed for powerpc, just 6809,68000 and x86.

The performance gains would be well worth the time investment, unless I suppose their rather just put all their energy into an x86 or arm port?

Thats what I'm thinking, Piru, care to comment please?

Also, can someone tell me, whats the fastest speed powermac g4 you can get that morphos supports? I'm really planning on finally getting one.

Steven
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:27:26 AM by haywirepc »

Offline smerf

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Hi,

Why don't you all go throw your MAC whoopie over on the Apple boards, maybe the Apple Fan Boys will all embrace you there and your new found Amiga Emulator for a MAC.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 14, 2012, 03:39:09 AM »
[@smerf    shut up moron]

The only morons here are the ones using MACs on the Amiga boards.
Don't you all know the difference between a MAC and an Amiga. The MAC is the small little piece of junk that can't even find a right place home, like in the rotten Apple Core computer section, so it lets some sleaze bags sneak it on the Amiga boards.

Oh my Apple this, my Apple that, My Apple is rotten to the core.
If you are all excited with the Mac running MorpOS why don't you morph over to your own board and brag about it there, maybe someone who knows nothing about computers will listen to you all.

smerf