Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Score!! Saved a G4 Power Mac from the trash!!  (Read 4988 times)

Description:

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
Re: Score!! Saved a G4 Power Mac from the trash!!
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 20, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
I am glad you scored something that you can use. We are recycling our remaining Mac G5s. They can't run 10.6, new software and we are required by policy to recycle the units. We can't just take them and give them away.

Of course, not being a fan of the monopolistic, exclusionary, abusive company Apple - I think all Macs belong in a dumpster. I couldn't even bring myself to run Linux of MorphOS on one.

-Nyle

Quote from: spihunter;585870
Hey Folks,

Saved a G4 Power Mac form the trash at work today!. It was sitting on the floor of the graphics dept. They were going to throw it and a 22" cinema display out!. I'd like to install The new MorphOS 2.6 on it.

Specs:

800 mhz G4
1.5 GB ram
Dvd-rw
Nividia graphics card (not supported I know)
scsi card
wireless network card
80 gb harddrive.

I guess the first thing I need to do before installing MorphOS is to change the Graphics card.

I have several ATI graphic cards (7000, 9200) lying around. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to flash them for Mac compatibilty before they will work?.

Another question is, what is the best/most compatitble PCI sound card to use with MorphOS?. I wouldn't mind doing some sample editing and tracker work on this setup.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
Dual G5s are dog slow compared to intel based Macs of any variety....

Quote from: spihunter;585875
These are people that grip about having to use dual core G5's for graphics work. I think they tried to give it away before but nobody wanted it....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;585928
Of course, not being a fan of the monopolistic, exclusionary, abusive company Apple - I think all Macs belong in a dumpster. I couldn't even bring myself to run Linux of MorphOS on one.

I've never understood this attitude. I mean, I've never paid Apple anything for the Apple HW I own, so where's the problem really? How is that helping the (admittedly) abusive Apple?

Offline spihunterTopic starter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
I don't get that either?. maybe that could be pointed at the iphone but not the computers?. They abandon the PPC Macs a long time ago...why not take atvantage of them?.

Quote from: Piru;585935
I've never understood this attitude. I mean, I've never paid Apple anything for the Apple HW I own, so where's the problem really? How is that helping the (admittedly) abusive Apple?

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »
Hmmmm, It seems that the only compatible graphics card that I have is a 64mb ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card.

Do you guys think it would be worth my time to try and flash this card for Mac compatibility or should I just spend $30-$40 for a Radeon 9000-9200 w/128mb of ram?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:51:54 AM by spihunter »

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
I would go for 9xxx. Radeon 7000 is slow.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
Performance wise, the Radeon 8500 and 9000 are probably the best options for MorphOS. Plus they have the advantage of not being AGP 8x yet, which means that you don't have to mess with taping pins or soldering resistors. More information about this here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility
http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

Just flash it and you're done. The 8500 has one disadvantage though: There are only Mac ROMs which support 64 MB video memory, so even if you have a 128 MB card, you're stuck with 64 MB.

Quote from: Jambalah;585895
the major problem is... how to create a bootable cd!! =D
I'm a REAL newbie in this obscure pc operation...!!

Just grab a FreeDOS ISO: http://www.freedos.org
Maybe you can install it on a spare HD (like I did), makes things a bit easier. Oh, and while you're at it, have a look at GEM for your daily retro fix. ;)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
Don't bash the poor computers, they are pieces of history that will probably fetch a high price one day.
Similiar to classic cars there are particular models that stand out as impressive technology, features etc.
I think it is Steve Jobs alone who wants to lock Apple out of all competition and become the next great monopoly.
I'd probably love a value priced clone Mac.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
Quote from: Jambalah;585895
Glad it is useful!
I'm trying with a 9200 SE and the major problem is... how to create a bootable cd!! =D
I'm a REAL newbie in this obscure pc operation...!!

Find a copy of UltraISO, you can even make bootable USB sticks with it and not bother with discs. Just ask here if you need more instructions.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
I think your right here. I'm thinking that I should just get a better card. I got the machine for free so I shouldn't sell myself short on the graphics. I'm going to go with a 9000.

Quote from: Colani1200;586030
Performance wise, the Radeon 8500 and 9000 are probably the best options for MorphOS. Plus they have the advantage of not being AGP 8x yet, which means that you don't have to mess with taping pins or soldering resistors. More information about this here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility
http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

Just flash it and you're done. The 8500 has one disadvantage though: There are only Mac ROMs which support 64 MB video memory, so even if you have a 128 MB card, you're stuck with 64 MB.

Just grab a FreeDOS ISO: http://www.freedos.org
Maybe you can install it on a spare HD (like I did), makes things a bit easier. Oh, and while you're at it, have a look at GEM for your daily retro fix. ;)

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
I ended up getting a 64mb Radeon 9000 Mac edition for $24 USD. It should be here next week. I went ahead and flashed my 64mb Radeon 7000 so I could have a backup card. flashing was pretty easy.