Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions  (Read 15106 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 01, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
And X1000 is using an Apple chip, looks like Amiga is coming up Apple...

Quote from: halvliter'n;568465
MorphOS should been ported to something else. AppleMac is bad in my Amigaworld.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline halvliter'n

• Show only replies by halvliter'n
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
Quote from: Piru;568466
You're not answering any of the questions.

The answer to all questions, 1-6: It's just a bunch of junk.

over and out.
Commodore64+TheFinalCartridgeIII+CBM1541, A500+512slow+1084, A1200+BPPC060+Bvision+AOS3.9

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;568470
You didn't answer the questions I'm afraid.

Couple of free advices: Don't post while under influence. Chill. Try to understand that a warning has been given, and further misconduct might lead to a ban. Keep in mind that everyone is allowed to have an opinion and voice it, as long as they keep civil and follow the common forum rules. This thread was posted to "Discussion of the available hardware for MorphOS" section, officially dedicated to all hardware solutions available to run MorphOS. This includes some Apple products. Deal with it. If you can't deal with it, don't read the MorphOS threads, or just leave amiga.org completely.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:25:37 PM by Piru »

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »
Quote from: pVC;568436
I download files there before copying them to HD (SFS framgents too badly if you have simultaneus downloads or if I don't want to keep downloaded file anyway (like some crap videos etc you are mistaken to dl)).

I unpack program archives there for installing (useless to have them on HD if it has separate installer).

I give test run for unpacked games etc from ram: if they are worth to keep or not (useless copies to HD again if I only want to run it once and get rid off it after that).

I throw all kinds of temp/test files there (image/video/audio processing stages)... etc.. :)

Awesome. I never would have thought to do that. The archives seem to unpack a lot faster to the ram disk. Something to use all that extra ram I stuffed in there last night. :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;568232
...questions...

If you *like* Amiga, chances are high you will actually *love* MorphOS.

If you're currently rather short on cash I would also recomment to try out MorphOS on an eMac (note though, that only the 1.25 GHZ eMac models are supportet yet). They are changing hands for really little mony (at least for 50 US$ you should be able to find one with a little patience on searching). If you then disover you actually like MorphOS you are either done w/o big costs or you can decide then to resell the eMac again (for a probably similar amount) and grab a mini (and b4 someone asks, I am *definitely* not selling mine ;-) ) for a little more.

The eMacs offer really a lot for the money, but the CRTs are debatable. A CRT does not only have disadvantages, but I wouldn't like to change back from my IPS-panel and PVA-panel to CRT again.

About RAM: Usually you're good off with 256 MB already, 512 MB is very convenient, 1 GB (or more) is really plenty and rather luxury. 128 MB, like with Efika 5200B, is rather a little too few (works, but shouln't squander with RAM consuming apps then).

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
Can you use the same keyfile on multiple macs, or is the license per machine?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:02 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568499
Can you use the same keyfile on multiple macs, or is the license per machine?

License is per machine.

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;568470

over and out.

Hmmm.... It suits my needs just fine.
1) Web browser.. Check
2) IRC.. Check
3) SSH.. Check
4) Remote Desktop.. Check
5) Fast and responsive.. Check
6) Stable.. Check

Windows fails 5 and 6

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:46:28 AM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;568451
Well, just to provoke more, you give at least not fook.:laughing:
And do not feed the trolls.

Warning #2, you are generating many reports.

Please read the POSTING GUIDELINES. One more violation of these guidelines will result in a moderator action against your account.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline RMK305Topic starter

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 02:14:50 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on Mac Mini's and go from there. I figure I can buy one, try out the OS and if I decide I don't like it can sell the Mini and get back what I paid. Nothing to lose really. Can you drag screens like in the Amiga?

Turns out the oficial Mac keyboards are only £29. I was shocked, I expected them to be a lot more.

The was one web site which I found, and then lost, which provided a lot of info on the games and had a picture of superfron playing on UAE, but can't for the life of me find it. I was wanting to show it to a friend who's Ex Amiga and now using MACs. Does it ring any bells with anyone?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:24:03 AM by RMK305 »
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 03:01:06 AM »
For the note, and this has been posted elsewhere in the forums, but if you hate your eMac screen, or it starts to go out, the procedure to re-case an eMac and hook it up to a VGA monitor does not look that very hard.

BTW, what's the down side to a CRT monitor again?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 04:23:05 AM »
I am so tempted to go the MorphOS route myself!! I love OSX, I went there after Amiga 3.5 And it looks like it will do just about everything I want. DROOL!!!

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline zylesea

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »
Quote from: RMK305;568522
Thanks for all the information. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on Mac Mini's and go from there. I figure I can buy one, try out the OS and if I decide I don't like it can sell the Mini and get back I paid. Nothing to lose really.
Precisely. The free trial version is 100% identical to the reg'd version, but slows down 30 min after each boot up. Reboot then (very quick) or eventually register (111.11 EUR).
Can you drag screens like in the Amiga?
No. Sceendragging does not work out of the box on MorphOS 2.x. However, there is a 3rd party utility adding a screen dragging option. But it is a bit limited and I (as most others I guess) tried it out, smiled for a moment and then moved on again w/o that utility.

Turns out oficial Mac keyboards are only £29. I was shocked, I expected them to be a lot more.
While I liked my flat aluminium Apple keyboard I eventually gave it to my gf for her iBook and use a bog standard kbd now. On Apple kbds there is no "delete" key. Sure, I could (and had) assigned that functionality to another key, but I think it was a bit annoying. But those apple kbds are fancy, the integrated hub is handy (but I have one integrated in my monitor already) and te typing experience is not bad.

Good news is, if you happen to have any usb kbd, you can just use it and exchange that one for a particular one (be it Apple or #?) at any time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:57:02 AM by zylesea »

Offline zylesea

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Quote from: MaDDuck;568533
I am so tempted to go the MorphOS route myself!! I love OSX, I went there after Amiga 3.5 And it looks like it will do just about everything I want. DROOL!!!

Well, if you have few bucks left to spare and a little real estate on yor desktop/lining room/hobby room/#? room (in case of a mini only 256 cm² are required) to waste then you know what is to do next...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;568481
Awesome. I never would have thought to do that. The archives seem to unpack a lot faster to the ram disk. Something to use all that extra ram I stuffed in there last night. :)

Really dude.  Thats what I have always used ram disk for on amiga is unpacking archives and installing stuff to test before cluttering my HD up with it.

What else would you use it for :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;568563
Well, if you have few bucks left to spare and a little real estate on yor desktop/lining room/hobby room/#? room (in case of a mini only 256 cm² are required) to waste then you know what is to do next...

Which is funny!!!!

I already have a Mac Mini (C2D), so an intel one would fit right in, I'd just head to decalgirl.com for a cover sticker for the top.

My last Mac before that? An eMac.

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown