Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000+ Alice motherboard DIY  (Read 9954 times)

Description:

Offline hese7Topic starter

A4000+ Alice motherboard DIY
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
Let me introduce you to the A4000+ Alice rev1 motherboard.
A4000+ motherboard is based on the Amiga 4000cr motherboard designed by Commodore.

I have been thinking for a while to do some Amiga hardware and decided to start with a relatively easy but laborious task, an Amiga 4000cr motherboard.
I didn't have a blank A4000cr motherboard PCB nor any high-resolution pictures of a blank PCB, so I had to layout the A4000+ PCB completely manually.
I used a fully working A4000cr motherboard as a reference.
The PCB dimensions and all component locations, hole locations, hole diameters, solder pad dimensions, component silkscreens, etc. of the A4000cr motherboard were manually measured and transferred to the PCB design software.
I draw the line at the PCB traces, those I didn't attempt to mimic from the original A4000cr board.
The PCB traces of the A4000+ were fully manually routed (which too ages).
The result is a quite close replica of the original A4000cr motherboard.

Here are a few pictures of the blank PCB.

A few pictures of the board being assembled.

Pictures of the finished board.

A4000+ motherboard being mounted in the Amiga 4000D case.

A4000+ motherboard fully working.

A screenshot of the designed PCB.

Link to the photo gallery:
A4000+ Alice motherboard

The next motherboard that I'm working on will be something completely different.

Offline hese7Topic starter

Re: A4000+ Alice motherboard DIY
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

It took me about 50-75 hours to do the schematics and layout the components on the board. And about 250 hours to do all the routing.

After I have sold my remaining PCBs on Amibay, I will release the project files so you can do more group orders yourself. Or continue developing the project if you wish. I wasn't planning to be the sole provider for the PCBs anyway. I'm more interested in doing new hardware.

@tbtorro
Yep :)
And I bet your remaining stock will go fast.

@all
ATX motherboard is being developed right now and should be ready relatively soon if all goes well.