Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you use RTG?  (Read 4033 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Do you use RTG?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 12, 2011, 05:05:07 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;631100
Youve sure read a lot into things I never really said.
What I said was perfectly accurate. Simple fact is MOS *doesnt* have much in the way of software comparable to the classics, and the hardware itself is quite generic. Yes it has some decent software, but there's nothing overwhelmingly enticing for me about it (nor any of the other "NG" options). I dont particularly find 101 little bits and pieces exciting which is what the majority of original "NG" software is if you exclude the classic 68k/ppc library and open souce software.
Negative, maybe, but Im simply pointing out truths, so if its negative it simpy relects the state of the "NG" options. Again, this isnt to say I dislike them,.... Ive spent hundreds and hundreds of hours coding for them. I wouldnt do that if I was disinterested. Simple fact is there's no market, ergo very little exciting software that's not derived from exisiting software. The same is true of classics thse days too.
I never for a second suggested MOS was in any way, shape, or form bad. Heck I ever said so in my post.
I also never implied that classics are in any way the only option. Im interested in all amiga flavors and have had both MOS and OS4.x machines before (and currently also still have an AROS box).

Long story short, I just dont see any of the NG options as a replacement for the classic amigas yet. Its not as simple as "want an rtg amiga, buy a ppc mac and mos, it's faster too" as suggested, which is what I was responding to. Again, theyre simply different kettles of fish.

For you, perhaps. As for me, I don't have nearly as much interest in legacy apps. And I  can run a fairly decent web browser, play back DVDs (and most HD video), and use more than 256 colors at once.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:09 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;631102
For you, perhaps. As for me, I don't have nearly as much interest in legacy apps. And I  can run a fairly decent web browser, play back DVDs (and most HD video), and use more than 256 colors at once.

256 colors a plus in an RTG thread ?  Little odd dont you think. Amigas have been running more than 256 colors for 20 years via rtg.

Yes, MOS can offer a nice compromised system for the modern computing world. But this is maybe my point. Everyone else (even phone users) are running 1080p video, have fully functioning browsers (no discredit to Fab's MOS OWB, its the standout browser for "amiga" systems), play bluray video, have gaming more modern than quake3, etc, etc.
I just find the classics more interesting and leaving me with less wants. The classics do what they set out to do nicely. Any NG amiga option stands out as comproised because a person expects more from a current system.

Also, incase you missed it Im not anti NG amiga, and quite like MOS. Would I have spent hundreds of hours developing for those systems if they disliked them, or didnt get the point ? As much as I like them though, and as much as I did what I could to try to redeem the problems with them I find myself discontent with them still.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:21:52 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline kolla

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:59 AM »
Quote from: zipper;631099
RTG - for 14 - 15 years already. It has been a necessity to keep Amiga somewhat useful in Internet use.

Your view on what constitutes Internet seems quite narrow then.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline matt3k

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »
Agree with you guys on MOS.

MOS on my Peg 2 has always felt like what the next Amiga should be.  Ambient's update to the workbench is, imho, a perfect transition to the 21st century.

I still enjoy my 3000 with my kids, but MOS is really polished and complete.  It would be nice to see the Natami be released for another perspective.  But for now, from my standpoint of running many amiga 68k apps and being fairly modern, MOS has the advantage and makes the most sense...

Offline Templario

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »
Only under WinUAE.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
Yep A4000, CS2 68060, CV64 and Indivision, CGX v4.  Best of both worlds.  I sold a CV643D plus its semi-working scan doubler to buy the Indivision.  

Beacsue I had RTG since about 1998, I didn't buy a another computer until 2007.  When I ran Amiga productivity apps I relised just how that software flies on an RTG screen.  I also ran MS Office, and Photoshop 3 via Shapeshifter, played Mac Doom inside Shapeshifter, used Netscape, Internet Explorer, Acrobat for PDF's, scanned 24 bit images (into Photoshop as well).  RTG opened up so many options for me.

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
I have an A3K with a GVP Spectrum card, which is a fantastic combination.  The Spectrum is not fast compared to other cards, but with the passthrough for the A3K's 31kHz display output, I can seamlessly switch between programs running on RTG and ECS.  So I can use Workbench, AWeb, etc., in higher resolutions and also run hardware-banging games and demos.

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
I recall when RTG meant that certian graphics packages (ImageMaster r/t, ADpro, ImageF/X, and others) could ReTarget the image to the early 24bit display cards/framebuffers such as Firecracker24, OpalVision and others, allowing one to actually see all 24bits of color while manipulating the image thus lifting the optical barrier of working on a 24bit image in standard Amiga resolutions.

To answer to OP question:
Yes with the A3000.
No with the VT/Flyer system.