Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions  (Read 4840 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Quote from: jacadcaps;620823

b) If the timings go bad, try holding the ctrl key while booting - this forces 1024x768x60Hz which most (all?) monitors will display.

Thanks, that did the trick! I'm sitting here with a list of early startup key presses and this little fun fact is not on there. :mad:

I know MacMini's didn't come with 10.2 or earlier, but how stupid is that you can't install a previous OS if you want? I also have OS9 on CD that the Mini refuses to recognize. Doesn't even bring an icon up in the Volume Select screen. Good things to know, so thanks Matt_H and Gazgod.

And Magnetic... yes, turns out I have Intel MacMini OEM discs over here - DOH!

Thanks all for your help. Back to some more poking around with MorphOS now. Once I get the proper Mac discs, I'll then look back into doing the dual boot boogie  :)

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
Quote from: save2600;620903

I know MacMini's didn't come with 10.2 or earlier, but how stupid is that you can't install a previous OS if you want?

With the Amiga it was possible to start WB1.x on AGA-machines and PCs were DOS-compatible for a rather long time (maybe they still are), but that was done dragging along alot of old baggage both in HW and FirmWare/Kickstart.

Old real old versions of OSX expect GFX-cards at the level of an ATI-Rage and KBD/Mouse connected via ADB. On the Mini they get a Radeon and USB.

While there might be a compatibility mode for these it's doubtfull it exists for stuff like the memory-controller or IDE.

And why should Apple even consider such a scenario ?

Every Mini was delievered with a copy of Panther or Tiger supporting all it's HW, no sane user would see reason to downgrade.

Ok. it's a bit different with OS9 but here there is also a solution supplied.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Kronos. You're right, I keep forgetting about this little thing called 'progress'.   :laughing:

Seriously though, the only reason I'm talking about 10.2 is because it's the only retail full OSX I have to install. I wouldn't have wanted to leave it on for long. In troubleshooting this Mini (I didn't know if my video and/or drive was going bad), would have been nice if some dialogue popped up and said: "hey you, this OS is not supported by the machine". Same with the OEM discs I have for an Intel Mini. NOwhere on the disc does it say Intel. 1996 copyright though, so maybe that should have been my hint? lol  And when trying to install that disc, the machine again, chose to be cryptic in its verbiage. Instead of saying: "hey dummy, this is for Intel Mini's or 'machine or chip sets not supported'", it came up with some shit that some driver was not found, so that had me thinking maybe something else hardware wise was messed up. :mad:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:49:28 PM by save2600 »