Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Gates not a philanthropist?  (Read 16626 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Bill Gates not a philanthropist?
« Reply #134 from previous page: January 23, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Quote from: blanning;757778
Imaginary being to you, very real to me. Many things, too many to count, have happened in my life to make it obvious to me that God exists.

Also, I didn't realize this was a contest to be won or lost. I'm simply expressing my views.

Believe what you like mate.  I will never hold people beliefs against them until they start spouting sexist fanatical crap about how people should live "gods" way.  

Am i talking to somoone from a certain famous baptist church in america
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;757710
Rubbish,

Read any of his posts related to social issues ..everything is about how islam is the way forward, the only forward and about how Westerners and by inference Christianity is evil., all subtly done of course, but there nevertheless.

And here you continue. Nicholas can't possibly have valid concerns or objections to "western" policy because he's a muslim obviously intent on furthering an agenda.

You can't counter his argument, so you attack (an attribute of) him instead. This is the very definition of argumentum ad hominem.

The guy even renames England as Englistan in his avatar, FFS!  WTF is that?

A sense of humour and a knowledge of other languages*. You might try growing one yourself.

I can see through his %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! and his response is typical of people like him:

"People like him"... What do you mean by that, exactly? Knowing the guy personally, I can't wait to hear your elaboration on this.

all nice and tolerant of others views, as long as those views match *theirs*..

Wow. Pot, kettle and all that.

*Englistan is the name for England in a number of asian languages.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:15:35 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline blanning

• Show only replies by blanning
    • http://www.brianlanning.com
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
Quote from: JJ;757808
Believe what you like mate.  I will never hold people beliefs against them until they start spouting sexist fanatical crap about how people should live "gods" way.  

Am i talking to someone from a certain famous baptist church in america

Believe me, the vast majority of Christians have a problem with this particular baptist church also.

You should live God's way not because I tell you to, but because it's simply a better way to live.  It's like heroine.  Not doing heroine is a better way to live.  It doesn't matter what my opinion is about it.  

A friend of ours tells a story about a church she used to attend.  One day this other woman started showing up.  She wasn't married and looked a little, um, masculine.  But still people were relatively nice and accepting.  In the course of getting to know her, she revealed that she was a lesbian, but rejected that lifestyle because of her belief in God and the bible.  In other words, she wasn't "practicing".  It didn't matter, she was immediately shunned by all the other women in the church.  

This kind of behavior makes me sick.  Here's a woman doing exactly what the bible says she should be doing.  And she's ostracized for it.  It's Christians like these that are giving us all a bad name.  We're not supposed to be judgmental about these things.  Hate the sin and not the sinner after all.

I sometimes attend church and sometimes not.  It depends on how offended I am by the behavior of the others there, among other reasons.  Christians are supposed to be living their lives to be a good example to other people.  Other people are supposed to look at us and want what we have.  But it seldom works out that way.

If you're having a hard time believing in God, don't look at the church and say "if that's what it means to believe in God, then I want no part of it."  Instead, start first with God.  Ask God to show you that he's real.  And of course, you have to be open-minded enough to hear the answer.  After you've accepted Jesus, worry about church later.  And if you can't find one that isn't offensive to you, then don't go.  But most likely, you'll want to hear more.  And a church (that follows the bible) is the best place to start.

To get back on topic, I think Bill Gates is neither a Christian nor a philanthropist.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:42:15 PM by blanning »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
Quote from: blanning;757820
...To get back on topic, I think Bill Gates is neither a Christian nor a philanthropist.

Well, I don't think we were discussing Bill's relationship with God (which is a relative unknown), but at least we agree on the latter.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
It's like heroine. Not doing heroine is a better way to live.

Heroine. Noun. A woman noted for courage and daring action.

Considering your statement earlier that basically amounted to "a woman's place is barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen", I find your misspelling to be particularly apropos. ;)

Being able to live your life as a good example to others has nothing to do with one's religion. People who use it for that reason are using it as a crutch.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:28:33 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline spirantho

« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
In the course of getting to know her, she revealed that she was a lesbian, but rejected that lifestyle because of her belief in God and the bible.

You can't reject your sexuality as a lifestyle choice. You either prefer men or you prefer women (or if you're really lucky, you don't care!) - you don't choose. If you "choose" not to follow a homosexual "lifestyle" then all you're doing is lying to yourself. That's not a good thing, and that's what led to so many years persecution of people just because they don't fit the perceived "norm".
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:12 PM »
So we are still mired in discussions about sexuality.
Sex, politics, religion, why not bring up drugs, abortion on demand, or some other hot topics?

ie - "I heard people named Phil secretly consume a drug extracted from the fetuses of the unborn, AND that Bill Gates REAL name is Phil Gates!"
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;757823
Heroine. Noun. A woman noted for courage and daring action.

Considering your statement earlier that basically amounted to "a woman's place is barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen", I find your misspelling to be particularly apropos. ;)

Being able to live your life as a good example to others has nothing to do with one's religion. People who use it for that reason are using it as a crutch.

2000% yes. Religion came about for two reasons. We didn't have the language to explain the world in which we found ourselves and two people were scared of dying. Easier to believe in an afterlife than believe our lives are just a breeze In eternity. Ever noticed how religions never to try to recruit people whose lives are in an even keel .......
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Iggy

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
Well...I'm scared of dying (who really isn't), but I hope there ISN'T an afterlife, and I am fairly religious.
I think you're dismissing the potential positive aspects JJ.
Like being humble, considerate, caring for the poor, etc.

And not being able to understand things?
Hey, we are just naked apes, there will ALWAYS be things we don't understand.
That isn't a call to superstition, just an acknowledgement of our limitations.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;757828
Well...I'm scared of dying (who really isn't), but I hope there ISN'T an afterlife, and I am fairly religious.
I think you're dismissing the potential positive aspects JJ.
Like being humble, considerate, caring for the poor, etc.

And not being able to understand things?
Hey, we are just naked apes, there will ALWAYS be things we don't understand.
That isn't a call to superstition, just an acknowledgement of our limitations.

You can be all those things and more without having to follow a book or a person who tells you how to behave.  Religion is control power and  money. Nothing more. This is all my opinion. Everyone can have theirs also.  Room for everyone up to a point :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
Quote from: JJ;757829
You can be all those things and more without having to follow a book or a person who tells you how to behave.  Religion is control power and  money. Nothing more. This is all my opinion. Everyone can have theirs also.  Room for everyone up to a point :)

Organized
religion is "control, power and money".
But I don't have to attend a church in order to hold my beliefs.

And on that last part, yes, I'd defend your right to your opinion to the death.

Offline blanning

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;757824
You can't reject your sexuality as a lifestyle choice.

You can choose to perform those acts, or choose not to.  

And this idea that "orientation" isn't a choice is an opinion that's lately been forced upon us as fact.

Offline blanning

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
Quote from: JJ;757826
Easier to believe in an afterlife than believe our lives are just a breeze In eternity.

I disagree.  (At least according to my beliefs) Not existing is better than what comes later if you don't have salvation.  

Ever noticed how religions never to try to recruit people whose lives are in an even keel .......

This isn't really true either.  There are a lot of christian organizations trying to help people on drugs or whatever.  But there's just as many or more that are trying to reach regular normal people.

Offline blanning

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;757830

Organized
religion is "control, power and money".
But I don't have to attend a church in order to hold my beliefs.

Exactly right.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2014, 03:01:44 AM »
A lot of article on Quantum Entanglement and the soul lately...

http://io9.com/does-consciousness-arise-from-quantum-processes-in-the-1308844613

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »
Quote from: persia;757837
A lot of article on Quantum Entanglement and the soul lately...

http://io9.com/does-consciousness-arise-from-quantum-processes-in-the-1308844613

Interesting new idea.
No doubt the next objection will refer to the software running in the brain as the "soul".
I, for one, don't have a problem with being a meat machine.