Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25747 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: Raspberry PI
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
RS won't be selling until the end of the week.

Farnell wants to charge a 20 dollar "handling fee".

I'll be waiting (a while) for the stock to hit this side of the pond.

Although, it was fun to follow the twit feed at 0601am GMT this morning and watch as we crippled both farnell and RS with our desparation :).

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
It hasn't come out yet, but my feeling is that when they decided to go with the distribution partner side, the Raspberry Pi folks didn't quite know what they really were getting.  I would have preferred they just sold the 10,000 form their own shop and had a slower ramp up.  More money to their charity.

Quote from: TheDaddy;681876
Lucky git! Where from?

I have been trying since 6:20 this morning...useless.

I am not sure they handled this the right way though...

They either hyped it or they truly failed to understand that 100,000 people trying to buy the pi would crash two websites...

They sold out 10,000 in two hours but they knew pretty well that there are at least 100,000 people interested...

Anyway I am looking forward to one.

And making a case for it ;)

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
Quote from: tone007;681899
I've tried, but I really can't see the appeal of this thing.

25-35 dollar 700Mhz 256Mb ARM computer the size of a credit card able to be run off 4AA batteries and able to play back 1080P?

I see nothing BUT potential.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
Quote from: dammy;682021
Although this is more expensive by $100 or so, I don't see why it didn't sell that well to the Geeks: https://www.genesi-usa.com/store/details/11

The Daddy is partially right, for sure on the marketing.  I know this is a community used to dropping three figures on something as banal as a network card or a USB card, but I'll throw 35 bucks at all sorts of things way before I'll throw a hundred.  I'll take risk with a 35 dollar thing that I wouldn't for 125.  I don't think it will be a great XBMC platform, but I DO think it will be a great platform for a low power controller for homebrew projects.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Quote from: tone007;682155
Lets see.

You'll probably need a keyboard, monitor and mouse, and maybe even a case.  I can't see the whole setup being too much less than $200.  Buy the kids netbooks and be done with it.

no, you do not need a monitor.  You need a TV.  Keyboards and mice can be had for free, or at the very most 14-15 dollars for a new kbd/mouse combo from the wal-mart types.  Most households have a TV.

It's about as real as the 8088s and 286s I was learning QBasic programming on back in high school while the rest of the world had moved on to Pentiums and more powerful programming languages.  Might as well give them what the real world is using.

Well, I'm not sure what to say to this.  ARM on mobile is the future for  a large segment of computing.  But, hey, you see no value - that is for sure your prerogative.  My CS department sees value in them - a testing developing platform they can line item as a lab fee for every CS student.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
I am baffled by the dislike bordering on hate.  I, for one, am excited about it for the many reasons stated above.  Some people aren't - I get that.  I'm a little bit saddened by the dismissal of young british kids' intellect or sense of curiosity as well.  If they are anything like young American kids, there are more coding type nerds out there than you think, with parents more willing to let the kid go nuts on a 35 dollar computer than the household one.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682161
now , really, its 2012.  This kind of thinking is just stupid.  Stop being stupid and get with the times.

Python is hardly assembler.  Neither is Java, C, or Ruby.  RTFA before you jump off the deep end.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
Quote from: persia;682174
Personally I would waste 20 cents on a netbook, dead end technology, not tablets not notebooks.  They're getting harder to find in stores now too.

But why the hate for a device that is designed to get kids curious about programming.  If it works it's a good thing, if it doesn't, well you've just wasted the cost of an Indian takeaway....

I'm wondering if it isn't Anglophobia.  Where do those uppity British get off building a 35 dollar SOC that lots of people are excited about?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Quote from: JJ;682179
These are the first batches to get developers / teachers etc hand on before its released to schools in cases etc.

I think people are being very narrow minded, who would have though it in the amiga community.

'Ere now.  Shouldn't you be off doing more traditional British things?  These here fancy electronic doo-dads are awfully complimacated...lawn gnomes and labor riots - that's all dem brits is good fer!

sorry about that - I'm in a queer mood.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682187
wharrgarbl

Holy crap, you are an idiot.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682191
awww why is that Bilgey.

Is it because I don't take your penis waving CS department nonsense as fact/law?  The fact that you condense things into whaargarbl means to me that you are too stupid to come up with any kind of reply.

and John, what you're saying is we should force kids to learn assembly.  I agree.

Except, we'd have like 3 successful students out of 200.

At least you can DVI

Nobody was waving any CS penis around as fact/law - that was you.  Mentioning that my CS department would be willing to lab fee a 35 dollar computer is hardly pointing out that I am some super geek whom all words should be obeyed.  I did condense your drivel to that, because it is drivel. You aren't making any salient point, you are just attacking people personally, so I returned the sentiment.

Seriously, what is your problem?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682203
Who's calling who names now?  I called someone stupid, but mostly in jest.  I hope commodorejohn realized that.

how was he supposed to realize that, exactly?  maybe throw a few more smileys at the end like Franko used to.

John, I actually think kids should learn assembly and hexadecimal before they become rebellious jackoffs that get too fixated on Java to ever learn anything useful.   :)

there ya go!  smilies make any asinine statement better!

Not bad.   But that's still like 130 USD, which could buy a pretty nice PC off craigslist...

You're absolutely right - those british kids should be on the cragslist buying used computers with more oomph and practicality.

It's drivel because you say so.  Not because it is.  I've backed my statements on the Pi up with information found on the Pi's site, and other sites.  

No, you haven't.  You have been ranting about how stupid the raspberry pi is and how stupid little british children are and berating your fellow board members as stupid.

If you can't comprehend what I have said enough to make counterpoints, then maybe you should learn how to read and try again.  Dismissing everything as drivel/whraaaarharbarbarbaral (that picture is hilarious) that disagrees with what you say, means you suck at arguing/debating and should kindly leave the internet until you learn how to play.

OK, moving on..  

and if you can't handle it because it's not written like some frikkin thesis, boo hoo, it's the internet, not the knowledge olympics.

Well, now a salient point, if stated flippantly.  It IS the knowledge olympics, actually.  when one decides to jump into a discussion about some topic, it behooves them to actually read up on the topic, considering that most of your statements about the Pi can be refuted by clicking here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

So, until you decide to actually educate yourself on what the Raspberri Pi is, instead of spreading false information about its cost and its capabilities, or until you actually PROVE what you are saying with actual links, facts, etc.. I am going to stick by my assertion that you are nothing but an idiot with no knowledge concerning the topic at hand.

UPDATE:
That RPi link from Trip up there is interesting. I wonder why they don't state more of that elsewhere to remove any doubt. Looks like Wikipedia needs their **** updated.

You mean besides the wiki dedicated to Raspberry Pi coding?  I am guessing that is because they assume you know how to operate a keyboard and a search engine.  Perhaps they assume too much.

When we want to know all about crappy PC Engine ports or god awful homebrew games like Atlantean, we'll be the first in line to hear what you have to say.  Until then, go finish your thesis, drink a coffee, and pound sand.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:10:13 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;682208
Trying to teach programming to kids is a waste of time. The geek kids don't need incompetent teachers to show them the ropes and the non geek kids don't give a damn and won't get anything out of it any way. The raspberry pi doesn't change anything, and kids aren't hurting for computers anyway, they're surrounded by them.

Programming itself isn't all that particularly useful of a skill for the vast majority of people and society isn't suffering from a lack of computer programmers. The raspberry pi is a cool toy for geeks but I think it's usefulness in an educational setting for k-12 is massively overblown.

US statistics on lowest unemployment rates by degree/field:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57324669/25-college-majors-with-lowest-unemployment-rates/

CS is 3.5%.  Lots of demand out there for programmers, especially good ones.  At least in the US.  Not everything is being outsourced.

Although the take home from the above article is that geophysics and astrophysics are the fields to get into.

You are possibly right about the educational usefulness in a K-12 setting.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682210
tl/dr

You're still an idiot.

Also, tell my mom hi, and I'm not calling you dad no matter what she says.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Quote from: desiv;682214
:roflmao:  
Man, that was hysterical!!

Thanx for that!!

Irony can be so ironic sometimes..  :)

desiv

Welcome to the party!