Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available  (Read 5139 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;800386
I wish there would be AGP slot or something like SATA, memory slot... after 15 years of "development", but lack of competition kills innovation in some cases.

I'm still happy to be able to use Mediator :), but...

Why would you need a agp slot, there are no drivers for agp cards, besides,pci is still way faster than the zorro3 bottleneck. that bottleneck will always be the problem.
I seem to recall drivers for sata cards under os4x,but dont recall them for 3/x. I think it was non bootable anyway.

if anything i would like to see pci-e..

I dont think its so much a lack of competition as its become such a small market no one wants to take the chance since they won't sell enough. its a monsterous investment to develop stuff like this.  The grex was the best idea of the bunch since it had a true pci bus,and didn't suffer from the zorro3 bottleneck.

Offline mechy

Re: Elbox: Black MEDIATORS Available
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;800399
I saw the "$" dollar sign and just assumed USD.  Sorry!  :(

the one driver i would of liked to see was for the mpeg/dvd decoder cards...

Any old style mediator can be hacked to use 3.3v if you are using a atx psu with 3.3v .. i simply ran a wire to the baqck of my board to the proper place on the slot, i run a 3v radeon in my mediator pro tower.

the new boards must simply use a vreg or more likely dc-dc comverter to make 3.3v from 5v rail.
you could also build a small regulator board to do the same if you only had the original amiga psu.

Also the reason i suggested we get pci-e is just for futureproof...and usb3 might be available(but not its full capable speed of course).
The mediator could of had a flashrom on it that installs itself with pci.library etc like any zorro card i would imagine, i always wondered why this was not done- It would of made the pci cards bootable and available at boot time.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the mediator stuff in the deneb flash rom or a eflash,romy,etc?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:30:06 PM by mechy »