Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")  (Read 13102 times)

Description:

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
True, VRAM is a problem on Mac Mini. Thankfully 64 MB is enough. And yes, the Powerbook isn't bad at all. It can even substitute for a desktop (it got DVI connectors).

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 09:31:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;797586
Other than the old SAM440 port that hasn't had a successful nightly build for download since January*, what PPC harware does AROS run on?  http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aros/nightly2/20150126/Binaries/AROS-20150126-sam440-ppc-boot-iso.zip

I understood Iggy wrong yesterday night... yes PPC is "alien" territory for Aros, AmigaOS and expecially MorphOS are highly optimized for it so no real chance for Aros. But when MorphOS leaves the known area (AmigaOS is not very propable to make a ISA change) then they enter "unknown" territory and will have the same challenges and problems as Aros had and has. Then we will see how they solve the problems.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
The Team are already working on it, but there will probably not be any big announcement until it's finished or almost finished. From the end user perspective it will be like it suddenly appears.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;797596
The Team are already working on it, but there will probably not be any big announcement until it's finished or almost finished. From the end user perspective it will be like it suddenly appears.

not "the team" but one developer (as I understand it) and it is still years away (geit)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
there is almost no interest for aros on ppc, except from the ppc boards vendors, who as far as i remember donated the boards in order to have them supported, and that for obvious reasons. i cant say there is a big interest in amiga-68k either, but ther is some and the platform is being maintained. quite telling. isnt it?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;797600
there is almost no interest for aros on ppc, except from the ppc boards vendors, who as far as i remember donated the boards in order to have them supported, and that for obvious reasons. i cant say there is a big interest in amiga-68k either, but ther is some and the platform is being maintained. quite telling. isnt it?

Unless AROS for PPC has binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software and seamless 68k binary compatibility too then there isn't much point in it really.

If it did have those things I'd definitely use it on PPC though. Maybe ARIX for PPC will have all those things? Here's hoping! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Yasu

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797599
not "the team" but one developer (as I understand it) and it is still years away (geit)

Bigfoot is the main developer there, and while it's possible it's just him working on it he is not working in a vacuum. He still needs or will need the other Team members with him on this.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;797604
Bigfoot is the main developer there, and while it's possible it's just him working on it he is not working in a vacuum. He still needs or will need the other Team members with him on this.

Yes of course but as I see the MOS team (and have respect for what they do) they will complete support on PPC (including bug fixes and drivers) on PPC before turning attention to ISA change. And that will need some time still. And then they have announced lots of changes like 64bit, SMP, MP and much more for it. So I do not think that there will be something in foreseeable future.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797602
Unless AROS for PPC has binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software and seamless 68k binary compatibility too then there isn't much point in it really.

If it did have those things I'd definitely use it on PPC though. Maybe ARIX for PPC will have all those things? Here's hoping! :)

Something like Petunia is not very propable because of lack of developer resources. The same reason why MorphOS team will drop that for the new ISA too. Arix solves some problems, expecially missing drivers and implements some sort of SMP (as I understand it) but it will not offer something like "Petunia". That is the price for getting affordable good hardware, you cannot have all, at least if the numbers of developers is so limited. With enough money everything is possible of course but we do not need to discuss about that :). So in short: do not expect that.

Binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software? How should that work at all? All are different on API level
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:22:31 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797606
Something like Petunia is not very propable because of lack of developer reasons. The same reason why MorphOS team will drop that for the new ISA too. Arix solves some problems, expecially missing drivers and implements some sort of SMP (as I understand it) but it will not offer something like "Petunia". That is the price for getting affordable good hardware, you cannot have all, at least if the numbers of developers is so limited. With enough money everything is possible of course but we do not need to discuss about that :). So in short: do not expect that.

Binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software? How should that work at all? All are different on API level

Perfectly illustrated.  Without those things what would be the point in AROS for PPC?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline OlafS3

Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;797610
Perfectly illustrated.  Without those things what would be the point in AROS for PPC?

Yes because of that it is unsupported. If you want to use PPC MorphOS and AmigaOS are better choices.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797606

It is possible but it makes no sense for AROS developers to target PPC platform.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »
Quote from: itix;797614
It is possible but it makes no sense for AROS developers to target PPC platform.

But that would only work if either MorphOS or AmigaOS API would 100% implemented. That would be difficult and Aros devs are certainly not interested to do that.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797599

More than one for sure, since Mark "Bigfoot" Olsen has mentioned working on it.
And the defacto team leader Frank Mariak is undoubtedly imvolded.

Jacek, Piru, Andre...I don't know but I'd be willing to bet have some involvement.

The actual 'team' involved?
Really a complete unknown, except that it is definitely more than one individual.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797615
But that would only work if either MorphOS or AmigaOS API would 100% implemented. That would be difficult and Aros devs are certainly not interested to do that.

Some day i should make statistical analysis but i would say 90% apps use 10% of API calls. Not difficult but gotta agree AROS devs are not interested and resources can be spent better elsewhere. Like for 68k AROS.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 18, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
@thread  

there is tons of good material in the tabor thread at the moment that is somewhat off-topic and deserves a thread of its own. so i'm moving the posts in question here to continue the discussion.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:26:37 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."