Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Tabor (from New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor")  (Read 13106 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:06:00 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797583
that is debatable :)

Other than the old SAM440 port that hasn't had a successful nightly build for download since January*, what PPC harware does AROS run on?  http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aros/nightly2/20150126/Binaries/AROS-20150126-sam440-ppc-boot-iso.zip
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;797600
there is almost no interest for aros on ppc, except from the ppc boards vendors, who as far as i remember donated the boards in order to have them supported, and that for obvious reasons. i cant say there is a big interest in amiga-68k either, but ther is some and the platform is being maintained. quite telling. isnt it?

Unless AROS for PPC has binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software and seamless 68k binary compatibility too then there isn't much point in it really.

If it did have those things I'd definitely use it on PPC though. Maybe ARIX for PPC will have all those things? Here's hoping! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797606
Something like Petunia is not very propable because of lack of developer reasons. The same reason why MorphOS team will drop that for the new ISA too. Arix solves some problems, expecially missing drivers and implements some sort of SMP (as I understand it) but it will not offer something like "Petunia". That is the price for getting affordable good hardware, you cannot have all, at least if the numbers of developers is so limited. With enough money everything is possible of course but we do not need to discuss about that :). So in short: do not expect that.

Binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software? How should that work at all? All are different on API level

Perfectly illustrated.  Without those things what would be the point in AROS for PPC?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797632
I did consider making PPC ABIs for AROS compatible with MOS and OS4 (e.g. ppcmos and ppcos4) but I don't think this competition of an open source and free OS competing with the paying ones will be welcomed by all in the Amiga community.

I do still plan one day to support all Amiga OSes from the AROS shared library support tools and code and that will bring PPC AROS compatible with OS4 and MOS much closer.

That's what I want to hear right there Staf! Anything we can do to help make it worth your time? :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797673
I was burned out on the whole Amiga programming thing and with a burn-out the cure is to wait long enough before restarting.
Also I am now in another project that has to be finished before I think about restarting Amiga dev.
I'm always available for public or private discussion on the topic though or for helping somebody who wants to start the work.

Definitely not a good idea to do something that'll make you feel worse when you are already feeling burned out.

Take all the time you need, we are thin on great developers in this community as it is and as my late Gran was fond of saying "A change is as good as a rest". :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Fats;797674
I don't find your comments hostile but they surely are opinionated at times. I guess this is enough in this community to be sometimes seen as hostile to one's own belief.

In general people in this community seem to forget everybody is different. Me for example as a user prefer OS4 over MOS, as an engineer I generally prefer the technical decisions the MOS guys have made over the OS4 guys, as a programmer I prefer AROS as it's open source. Unfortunately such mixed opinion seem to be enough to be hated by some in both the red and the blue camp. In the AROS camp I haven't seen much hate yet, open source guys are most of the times also open minded.

I like OS4 for playing about with, MorphOS for getting stuff done and out of admiration of their technical prowess and AROS for getting my geek on and also just playing about with.

Though OS3.x is still my true love. :)

Having a similar mixed opinion as yours has only ever made me be on the receiving end of hate from one section of the community though. Plus I'm extremely blunt at times which doesn't always go down too well with a lot of folks lol

I'd love something similar to ARIX but with full OS4/MOS/68K seamless compatibility to eventually emerge.