Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga  (Read 5581 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Is Hyperion really killing Amiga
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 09:14:57 PM »
@ alex

Add to that MOS/Pegasos is nipping at their heals and the ONLY reason I haven't just gone for their solution is because I can't get my hands on them.

If you want a Pegasos, drop a mail to GGS Data. They still seem to have some in stock. This will also qualify you for the €200 Pegasos2 G4 upgrade! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 02:11:37 AM »
Well done HyperionMP we will kick the oposition in touch they dont have the features or anything other than a beta . :-o  :-)  :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2003, 02:20:55 AM »
Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but why is whenever a major event is about to occur on the ¨red side¨, one begins to see these sorts of threads starting to popup. :-?

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2003, 02:40:57 AM »
The fact that you can simpy recompile 68K code for PPC still stands.

Well, I wouldn't have thought so (and many others say the same), but since I'm not in your shoes I can't really comment on it. But anyway, the best of luck and I hope it works out well and quickly.

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2003, 03:38:27 AM »
Ohhhh Gawd!  There's that avatar again!!!  Rock Awwnnnnn!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2003, 03:39:51 AM »
@HyperionMP

I think the guys that coded PPCBoot/uBoot would be quite shocked that you're claiming credit for their hard work.  

In fact, looking at the sourcecode (where are those changes you've done, which you're to return to the archive under the terms of the GPL) the Friedens only ported it to the Teron motherboard.  While sure, porting is good work, call it what it is:  You ported a BIOS that was freely availible elsewhere.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2003, 04:21:05 AM »
@downix

In fact, we ported 2 Mac titles, 1 Amiga title and did the firmware for the AmigaOne hardware

maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything here that reads in any way as a likely intentional misrepresentation of coding versus porting.  HyperionMP never said 'we developed the firmware internally from scratch', and the active verb in the sentence is "ported"

It seems a bit too jumpy to immediately run to the idea that by saying 'did' Hyperion is somehow implying that anything other than porting was done.  Give the man a break why don't you?  He's writing a response off the top of his head on a discussion board, and on top of that his response is in English, which is one of the most naturally ambiguous languages in existence.

The more I look at this site the more I think everybody just needs to calm WAY down.
Professional Expatriate

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2003, 04:27:16 AM »
@Downix you have been replyed to that already in the past but you seem to have forgotten
what the reply was & you then said there after.

http://amiga.org/modules/news/article.php?item_id=1877&comment_id=14414&mode=thread&order=0
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2003, 05:14:37 AM »
HyperionMP: thanks for your reply!

I dont agree with the Hyperion killing Amiga.  They're doing their best..and I sure as heck am excited to see the new beta OS pictures. (RUNNING June 7th, THIS SATURDAY!  WOO HOO!!)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2003, 05:37:35 AM »
They just totally underestimated the task that it would be, and totally underestimated the problems in coding in 68k and recompiling for PPC. "Just change some flags and recompile." It didn't ever work that way. Ever.

Um, doesn't Hyperion specialize in porting apps from other platforms to the Amiga?  I think they would have a pretty good idea of the work involved in porting 68K to PPC.

As for the work in porting a whole 68K operating system to PPC, well, that's a different story.   :-)

- Edit -
Oh, uh, I just read Hyperion's post.  Duh.  :crazy:

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2003, 06:14:56 AM »
Did anybody read Olaf's article on the Filesystem revamp?

You honestly believe projects like that don't take TIME?  

relax... take a deep breath.. count to 10... go to your happy place.   :-D   (btw, *my* happy place has fine scotch, a PPC amiga, and Natasha Henstridge.  Maybe not in that particular order, though  ;-)   )
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline HyperionMP

• Show only replies by HyperionMP
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2003, 09:27:10 AM »
Nate, as somebody already pointed out, "asked and answered".

I never claimed we did the firmware from scratch.

We did substantially extend it with the menu system we introduced but I never claimed we wrote it from scratch.

I don't go around announcing to everybody that substantial bits of MorphOS are based on AROS either.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2003, 10:57:48 AM »
I think the guys that coded PPCBoot/uBoot would be quite shocked that you're claiming credit for their hard work.

Playing a game of word twister again. A really stupid comment.

I remember saying "we did Heretic II for the Amiga" and "we did Shogo for the Amiga". We never claimed doing anything but porting. We didn't claim we started the firmward from scratch.

where are those changes you've done, which you're to return to the archive under the terms of the GPL)

We are in full compliance to the GPL. If you look at the sourcecode in the board/MAI directory, you will find the changes. Look at drivers/pci.c to find a comment that even carries my name.

Inform yourself before you post, please.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2003, 11:11:20 AM »
In fact, looking at the sourcecode (where are those changes you've done, which you're to return to the archive under the terms of the GPL) the Friedens only ported it to the Teron motherboard

Actually Hyperion have no obligation to return any code to Sourceforge.

Apparently Ben Hermans found a quirk of the GPL which only requires MAIL ORDER.

So, if you send a blank CD and cost of return postage to Hyperion, and ask them to burn you a copy of their UBoot port source code ( just diffs, even)  then they are obliged to give it to you under the terms of the GPL.

Nothing, anywhere, ever, said that you had to commit your source code back into the main tree, since enforcing that particular act would actually be AGAINST the GPL - it removes the right for people to fork the codebase.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2003, 11:15:22 AM »
If you have proof that you have a version of their Uboot port binary that is.

( GPL to the letter )
Hate figure. :lol:

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 05, 2003, 11:21:09 AM »
Um, doesn't Hyperion specialize in porting apps from other platforms to the Amiga? I think they would have a pretty good idea of the work involved in porting 68K to PPC.

Hyperion are world reknowned for doing absolutely ####ty jobs of porting apps from one platform or another. Just ask MacPlay, check some other Mac gaming forums about user complaints. See how they had a game port taken from them for stalling for 2 years and producing incredibly badly performing code.

Hyperion blamed it on "crap Mac hardware", but the other company managed to port the game perfectly fine and get it performing excellently.

What you have basically is Hyperion, which are supposedly good at porting DirectX code to OpenGL, and "optimising" parts of that code into PPC assembler - which does not qualify any of them to do an operating system - and quite frankly they would not be first choice for most companies to port their game to Mac or Amiga or Linux or whatever.. :)

In their defence, what probably does qualify some of the team is their academic acheivements (degrees, diplomas)..

.. but that does not mean they can do it, just that they spent some time 20 years ago in the dark ages coding on some VAX cluster.