Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any interest in a crowdfunding for a WebKit based browser for OS4?  (Read 21036 times)

Description:

Offline nbache

also, why not simply help with updating odyssey to latest webkit engine. what might not be a trivial task, considering apparent endiannes issues becoming more problematic in later versions.
This sounds like a good idea, not least because of this slightly worrying statement in a previous post:

Quote from: NinjaCyborg
there is Amiga (and even 68k assembler) knowledge, albeit not up to date
Coding for OS4 is quite different from what it sounds like they have done for 68k Amigas in the past. Hopefully dealing with the Odyssey code can at least teach some of the best practices of today (although it may not be the optimal teaching tool, being ported from MorphOS, but at least better than old memories of 68k assembler coding on classic systems).

Best regards,

Niels

Offline nbache

Re: Any interest in a crowdfunding for a WebKit based browser for OS4?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:57:51 PM »
@nbacheyou certainly have had opportunity to see odyssey os4 code base.
No, I have never seen it - and probably wouldn't be able to make much with it if I had. I was just using it as a way of stating that a fair bit of knowledge about current best  practices of coding for OS4 would be necessary.

but in case you want to join in
Wish I could. I have never coded much for AmigaOS, but I have programmed for a living for many years (on other platforms and in other languages than C) and have been a beta tester for OS4 from the start, taking an "academic" interest in what was happening with the system and its API during the last 15 years or so. Having now retired, I do have a dream of one day being able to develop for AmigaOS 4.x, but it would require a long learning path to be able to do it in practice. And at the moment, lots of other projects IRL keep getting in the way.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline nbache

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
Ah, okay. OWB also has a MUI based UI
Not just directed to you, Hans, as others have also used the names casually: For most OS4 users, OWB normally refers to the Reaction-based port made by Jörg a number of years ago, while Odyssey refers to the MUI-based port from Fab's MorphOS Odyssey, maintained on OS4 by kas1e.

Just to avoid confusion, if possible :-).

Whatever you use, it would be great to have an updated browser.
Most definitely!

Best regards,

Niels

Offline nbache

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
NOTE: There are HTML datatypes already, and yes, they cope with loading external images
Side note: The most important feature of such a thing is IMO not to cope with loading external images, but to cope with not loading external images.

In other words, it must be possible for the user to deselect following external links.

Best regards,

Niels