Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PiStorm 32 Lite for Amiga 1200 at AmigaKit.com  (Read 5927 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: PiStorm 32 Lite for Amiga 1200 at AmigaKit.com
« on: January 29, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
True, but they're on their way and unless you already have a full sized RPi in your sock drawer or you are very impatient (there's a electronic supply shortage on don't you know) the CM4 plus adapter seems the way to go! I think the CM4 is about half the price of the RPi 4 and there seems slightly more availability of the CM4s.

CM4 adapter news:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/cm4-is-dead-long-77876831
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:03:43 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:34:27 PM »
@David Wright

Everyone deserves a second chance in my view. AmigKit have hired another member of staff in the last year to help with communication, logistics and P&P. Even in the busy old days they came through for me in the end every time just with some delayed communication here and there. They are the real deal it's just we all rub each other up the wrong way/fail to live up to each others expectations sometimes when the market is growing (hence more enquiries/orders) but so to are the number of small cottage industry companies vying for our business. This creates tension e.g. Vampire vs PiStorm and RetroPassion vs AmigaKit. That's life but we shouldn't really question their integrity in striving for good customer service when the rubber hits the road. Choose your retailer (AmigaKit currently seems very reasonable with good quality of assembly) for the PiStorm32 and enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:36:16 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 08:22:43 PM »
Good to hear it. Friendly competition/collaboration is the way forward.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 09:34:22 AM »
I can vouch for them working hard to get these out! I'm still waiting for a, "That's ok in theory but we will have to wait for the CM4 adapter design to be uploaded to GitHub before we can answer your query." -type response from their ticketing system presumably because it's all hands on deck right now (all 6 of them)!!!

I sent the ticket message on 22/02/2023. Maybe they could cut and paste what I've just written in speech marks above and send it back to me so that I can at least see that it's been acknowledged? At least they are better than British Gas on that front!  ;D

Looking forward to all the Pistorm32 with CM4 Module fun later in the year!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:36:06 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 02:55:07 PM »
@amigakit

We hope that you can pop up for air and answer some tickets in the near future! I know you've "got to make hay while the sun shines" but most people just want a confirmation and the hope that the 'message in a bottle' ticket service on your website actually reached the shore! I know I'm not technically your priority right now, being a second wave CM4 based PiStorm32 prospective customer, but it's good to keep the communication going! Have a nice day!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
My message was entered on the Contact Form Section of your website. I don't seem to have received ANY confirmation following the message other than the initial, "Your message has been received, we will endeavour to get back to you within 7 working days....etc, etc" on the website itself!

Luckily, I also copied the message into TextEdit on my Mac to provide a rudimentary 'paper trail' should stuff like this happen! I'll PM you the message but if the web based 'Contact Form' page isn't working correctly then it should be checked out IMHO because that might be the root of some of these communication issues that I've faced.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 11:56:38 AM »
There's amazing progress going on with the CM4 fork of the Pistorm32 Lite hardware development (see link)! It would be nice even at this early stage for UK Amiga stockists to pledge support for these future products! Amigastore.eu have already informed me that they will stock the Pistorm32 Lite with CM4 adapter board, the IO port module plus cable and a pre-installed SD card once the designs are uploaded to Github!  8)

https://www.patreon.com/posts/eagle-has-landed-79775148 

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 03:32:37 PM »
The final Emu68 incompatibilities have been solved for the RPi4/CM4 Modules!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/79849347?utm_campaign=postshare_creator

There's now no reason for the Amiga stockists not to roll out bundles offering a Pistorm32 card along with CM4 adapter board, the IO breakout ports and cable (along with preconfigured SD cards if required) once the designs are uploaded to Github! Exciting times!

Your move Amigakit!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:35:30 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 09:47:40 AM »
@amigakit

The delivery date for my CM4 has just slipped from July to September so don't worry about getting back to me about the Amiga Expo Kickstart 01 drop off idea. It would have been nice to pick up the hardware in person but I guess if you answer my question and build up too much hype for the CM4 solution you could lose sales on the RPi3A/regular RPi solutions! Will be good to see you at the show.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:52:32 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »
@Thread

The CM4 adapter board designs for the Pistorm32 Lite are now on GitHub!  8)

https://github.com/PiStorm

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 01:31:21 PM »
It allows you to use a CM4 board which features a quad-core ARM Cortex-A72 processor (faster than a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 RPi3/THEA500 Mini spec CPU), it will come with an optional 'break-out' board to send the Ethernet, HDMI and USB to a port to mount on the A1200 Expansion Port (improving airflow compared to full size RPi boards) and best of all the Emu68 software compatibility issues with CM4/RPi4 has been solved in the week proceeding this hardware release meaning there are basically no negatives! Finally, CM4 Modules though still difficult to source, are more readily available and cheaper than the comparable RPi4!

Note: Current RPi4 revisions are June 2019 technology and the CM4 was released in late 2020 (compared to 2018 for the latest RPi3A+ revision). We are overdue a RPi5 at this point in all honesty! We might as well support the latest revision of the RPi4/CM4 and squeeze what we need for Amiga CPU emulation out of it IMHO!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 02:10:34 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 04:11:57 PM »
@kolla

Considering Claude has been planning this break-out board since the original Pistorm32 'Full' Version in Aug 2021, I'm guessing between Michal and himself they've got the drivers covered by now!  ;)

From Twitter:
Claude Schwarz
@Claude1079

Aug 21, 2021
Replying to
@durniplot
Oh, there is gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0 and 4k HDMI :) Through the FPC connector. The FPC cable goes to a small breakout pcb which gives easy access to these interfaces trough the small trapdoor on the A1200 backside.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
Well they seem a petty close knit team almost 1.5 years on! Claude plans a Pistorm32 'Full' Model that utilised a CM4 and now Michal fulfils that vision by adapting the 'Lite' Model and vice versa with the software/drivers as far as I can see!

It's actually a picture of teamwork and cross-pollination that has been missing in the AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS space IMHO! Only Trevor seems on-board with a collective multi-flavour teamwork approach in the NG sphere!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 09:34:22 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 07:33:42 PM »
@Thread

I think communication with UK vendors has run its course here. See the thread below or the PiStorm Discord Channel for interesting discussion about Pistorm32 future products:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44822&forum=25&start=120&viewmode=flat&order=0