Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reply once if you've tried AROS  (Read 6415 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Reply once if you've tried AROS
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 24, 2003, 12:10:07 AM »

Hammer wrote:

bloodline wrote:
New AROS Screenshot with Antialiased text!!!

Very nice…
erm... im sure that exact pic was posted not long ago...

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2003, 09:08:35 AM »
Do any Snapshots exist? I can't seem to find them. I tried the 7/23/03 ISO on two different machines, K6-2/400 and a P3/667... All I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer, and the mouse only moved in a small area of the screen (tho the size of the area changed with res).
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2003, 10:35:36 AM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:
Do any Snapshots exist? I can't seem to find them. I tried the 7/23/03 ISO on two different machines, K6-2/400 and a P3/667... All I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer, and the mouse only moved in a small area of the screen (tho the size of the area changed with res).

The current nightly build has problems loading Wanderer, if you hold down the mouse buttons during the boot will bring up the "Early Boot menu", this will allow you to "boot without startup-sequence" and you can then boot to Shell.

Alternativly wait until the build is fixed, or you can try my older build:

AROS

Offline Emufreak

• Show only replies by Emufreak
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2003, 09:30:19 PM »
I tried it and I can't wait for the "final" version

Offline hagar

• Show only replies by hagar
    • http://www.df.lth.se/~hagar
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2003, 10:10:21 PM »
Yes, a couple of times.
Beware of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal!

http://www.svenskascenarbetaremotkonfetti.se

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2003, 11:20:42 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:

Hammer wrote:

bloodline wrote:
New AROS Screenshot with Antialiased text!!!

Very nice…
erm... im sure that exact pic was posted not long ago...

I could have missed it…
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Gaidheal

• Show only replies by Gaidheal
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2003, 11:54:16 PM »
Yikes!

I take a couple of day break to try and get a young woman into my be... I mean, "for personal reasons" and this thread happens!  :¬)

Looks like a lot of people are axiously awaiting my work.. errrk!  Nice to see heavy interest in AROS.

Oh yes, I am using the latest build and it works fine, aside from VERY buggy HDD support.  So buggy I cannot make it install to the HDD under VMWare (don't trust it to my real drive yet, but might let it have a shot at an external through my USB-to-IDE adapter).  However, it boots perfectly from the ISO image mounted as a CD-ROM, it booted perfectly from the same image burnt to CD-RW and it performs fine in all respects, for me, aside from HDD issues.  Limited?  Yup.  But definitely well on the way to doing what we need, I think.

A few tips:  There is no USB support, on my machine, if not using VMWare I need to totally disable USB in the BIOS otherwise the thing locks up hopelessly.  To unpack the images I now use WinRAR.  But for those who want a simple method, Matt should have a more recent build up on his page pretty soon and the last one he had up worked pretty well too.  These are .zip files and should be easy for Windows users to work with.

As for emulation.. well I was attempting some coding tonight, but not getting anywhere (bit run down and tired at the moment) but the fact that so many people are clearly interested in AROS with many citing the emulation as what they are really waiting for... I shall get back on the case either this weekend or monday, depending on commitments like TKD and dates with Laura :¬)

For those who are interested.. we have actually managed to compile and execute a small application all under AROS.  It was done with TCC, I believe.  This is by no means at the stage where we can "self compile" but we are closer everyday and I shall be playing with this myself next week, as well as working on the emulation routines.

Oh!  While I remember, UAE is also being actively worked on again (AROS port) and this will DEFINITELY be available before my emulation is ready and likely available very soon.
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2003, 12:35:22 AM »
i wonder if the AROS guys would consider a closed source comercial version(aimed at beginngers perhaps) release seperatly to raise money, and why/whynot?

Offline Gaidheal

• Show only replies by Gaidheal
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2003, 12:43:38 AM »
Speaking for myself..

No, because it is not needed.  If a "Beginner" version (or even a switchable interface) is needed, we'll put that in and still release the source.  If people want to donate to the project, so much the better.  Also, anyone wanting to make a commerical version, can, within the licence terms, since it is Open Source.  AROS should (and I am pretty sure will) remain free and Open Source.

edit:  incidentally, AROS code is present in both AmigaOS4 and MorphOS.  To illustrate the point about commercial reuse of Open Source.
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2003, 04:01:35 AM »

bloodline wrote:
In keeping with the AmigaONE and MOS threads, AROS was feeling a little left out...

:-)

I use it.
this space for rent

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2003, 11:31:02 AM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
i wonder if the AROS guys would consider a closed source comercial version(aimed at beginngers perhaps) release seperatly to raise money, and why/whynot?

I am planning to release a distribution aimed at the beginer. It won't be Closed source, it will we available for free from my Web site, but I will also have the option to buy a CD for a nominal price should one wish.
Any Profits would go into "Bountys" for the AROS team so that they can be "paid" for the work they do.

Obviously this is not really something that could work now, as the IDE.device is really dodgy and the GFX drivers still have issues with some gfx cards, we have no sound card drivers... and without TCP/IP I can't run a "live update" service, which would be vital for beginers.

Offline Elwood

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2003, 11:34:52 AM »
Tried it several times but on floppy disk only....
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
AmigaOS 4.x betatester
Amiga Translator Organisation
My Homepage......

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2003, 03:28:27 PM »
by bloodline on 2003/7/25 6:31:02

Obviously this is not really something that could work now, as the IDE.device is really dodgy and the GFX drivers still have issues with some gfx cards, we have no sound card drivers... and without TCP/IP I can't run a "live update" service, which would be vital for beginers.

Speaking of update service, any thoughts on how to do the packaging?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2003, 03:38:44 PM »

dammy wrote:
by bloodline on 2003/7/25 6:31:02

Speaking of update service, any thoughts on how to do the packaging?

Dammy

A Cheap CD-R in brown paper bag... with an elastic band holing it shut. :lol:

Offline AmiNTT

• Show only replies by AmiNTT
    • http://www.leroux.ca/
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2003, 03:52:37 PM »
Downloaded it, tried it, didn't work, deleted it. :-(

Unfortunately, it didn't pass my 10 minute rule.  The rule is simple; if I can't get a piece of softwar working or close to working in 10 minutes, I toss it.  

I'll try it again in six months.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2003, 04:00:34 PM »
@Bloodline

One thing, when i last tried AROS i found a Mame folder but with no contents, is it on the contributions cd?
Ni72ous