Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Inertial Computing  (Read 4545 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Inertial Computing (Anubis OS)
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;709223
well, why bother, because maybe, just maybe there is actually something along the lines of anubis being worked on? why try to revive a project that failed and was expected to fail while others deliver?
Why not?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline aperez

• Show only replies by aperez
    • http://inertial.biz
Re: Inertial Computing
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;709249
Looks like a nice list of ideas.... Brainstorming is nice, but I wouldn't expect a release date on any of this stuff anytime soon.

And that's what it is. If people with nothing better to do wish to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, they're welcome to do so. I'm glad at least one person is clearly capable of recognizing it for what it actually is.

Offline aperez

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;709223
well, why bother, because maybe, just maybe there is actually something along the lines of anubis being worked on? why try to revive a project that failed and was expected to fail while others deliver?

I'm not even sure what to make of this statement. It essentially reads as pure hyperbole. Many projects are "expected to fail" ("haters gonna hate", after all), and even Apple was fully expected to, at one point not so long ago.

As for the "while others deliver" I am not sure what you're referring to, there. The only way I can make Anubis a reality is with the support and assistance of others. Your apparent negativity doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose. Am I missing something?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:00:56 AM »
I think you should open a website or dicussion board for people interested in Annubis. I would help if I could... I've been a linux user for many years and thinks its a great idea...

http://www.anubis-os.org/  

Nothing there yet?

Offline aperez

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:40 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;709217
When visiting that site I get a threat warning from Sophos:

'Virus/Spyware' Mal/Badsrc-M has been detected and listed in Quarantine Manager.

Thanks, this has been addressed. There was a MediaWiki vulnerability.

Offline aperez

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;709287
I think you should open a website or dicussion board for people interested in Annubis. I would help if I could... I've been a linux user for many years and thinks its a great idea...

http://www.anubis-os.org/  

Nothing there yet?

Great idea. A forum has been created at http://groups.google.com/group/anubis-os-discuss , and is now linked from the front page of Anubis-OS.org

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Quote from: aperez;709279
"haters gonna hate", after all
ah, nice that you keep repeating the answer to my comments i made about the objective chance anubis and aros68k kickstart to become reality as long as you stay involved. lĂșckily jason and toni took over and immediately it was clear that it will move now. btw ive heard jason sent you a broken 4k motherboard for repairs something like last year, luckily you dont need to hurry up anymore, since ive sent him a replacement otherwise he would be still waiting.

As for the "while others deliver" I am not sure what you're referring to, there. The only way I can make Anubis a reality is with the support and assistance of others. Your apparent negativity doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose. Am I missing something?

look above. im not entiteled to comment further on this topic at the moment, but i would prefer you wouldnt try to interfere. just sit and wait and anubis might come your way all by itself.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »

"haters gonna hate"

btw.. i have no reason to hate *you* nor do i hate you, as you seem to imply.
however i hate empty talk and rising attention for vapour projects especially in amiga community. as someone said we have been taken for a ride few times too much. if you are serious pursue your goals on your own rather than trying to find people who do it for you, or just start working on any project listed on your site.

Offline aperez

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;709388
ah, nice that you keep repeating the answer to my comments i made about the objective chance anubis and aros68k kickstart to become reality as long as you stay involved. lĂșckily jason and toni took over and immediately it was clear that it will move now. btw ive heard jason sent you a broken 4k motherboard for repairs something like last year, luckily you dont need to hurry up anymore, since ive sent him a replacement otherwise he would be still waiting.

look above. im not entiteled to comment further on this topic at the moment, but i would prefer you wouldnt try to interfere. just sit and wait and anubis might come your way all by itself.

Wawa,

Flying off the handle repeatedly and engaging in personal, public, ad-hominem attacks doesn't seem particularly mature, or constructive, either. After many hours of diagnostic with Jason's 4K board, myself and some others who offered to look at it have come to the conclusion that it is, we believe, irreparable, barring component replacement, although we will be looking at it further at AmiWest, in the next few weeks.

I am beyond appreciative of Jason and Toni's work on the Kickstart bounty, and they are both stand-up guys, who deserve all the credit.

Which leaves me wondering even more why you feel the need to be so overtly hostile. The  negativity from others like you in the community, is, in large part, responsible for me having thrown up my hands in disgust back near the end of 2009, and it's why I've chosen to be so averse to piping up on the forums. The quality of discourse here at Amiga.org is generally piss-poor, and you're either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Quote from: wawrzon;709388

Additionally, I don't see how it's possible to interfere with something I didn't know existed. I think you're envisioning hostility where none exists.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:53:17 PM by aperez »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
Flying off the handle repeatedly and engaging in personal, public, ad-hominem attacks doesn't seem particularly mature, or constructive, either. After many hours of diagnostic with Jason's 4K board, myself and some others who offered to look at it have come to the conclusion that it is, we believe, irreparable, barring component replacement, although we will be looking at it further at AmiWest, in the next few weeks.

dont bother. he has a working a4k board since long. this board may be broken beyond repair, but if you cared to communicate it to him i could have arranged a repair in germany or much easier get him a replacement without further delays.

I am beyond appreciative of Jason and Toni's work on the Kickstart bounty, and they are both stand-up guys, who deserve all the credit.

so you remember i have responded to you on forums that it is not going to work that way before toni and jason stepped in? nothing got done months for months. and as i spoke up against this situation, bounty occupied with no progress, you were accusing me "spreading fud". the same applies to anubis.

considering assignment of bounties and taking responsibility for (open) projects id advise to regard deadwoods behavior as exemplary, as he lately stepped down from a bounty he had no dedication or time enough to complete, though delivering a considerable progress on it without claiming money but opening it up again for a potential contributor.

Which leaves me wondering even more why you feel the need to be so overtly hostile. The negativity from others like you in the community, is, in large part, responsible for me having thrown up my hands in disgust back near the end of 2009, and it's why I've chosen to be so averse to piping up on the forums. The quality of discourse here at Amiga.org is generally piss-poor, and you're either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

im not hostile, im frank. if you take it for hostility its yours. community doesnt demand anything from you. whatever you do for it or not remains to your own consideration.

Additionally, I don't see how it's possible to interfere with something I didn't know existed. I think you're envisioning hostility where none exists.

i never said you were hostile or try to sabotage anything. i just doubt you will be able to help at this point, so id prefer you just not to distract. i expect you will find out yourself not later than at amiwest, im curious myself how that may come out.

Offline aperez

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;709394
dont bother. he has a working a4k board since long. this board may be broken beyond repair, but if you cared to communicate it to him i could have arranged a repair in germany or much easier get him a replacement without further delays.

so you remember i have responded to you on forums that it is not going to work that way before toni and jason stepped in? nothing got done months for months. and as i spoke up against this situation, bounty occupied with no progress, you were accusing me "spreading fud". the same applies to anubis.

considering assignment of bounties and taking responsibility for (open) projects id advise to regard deadwoods behavior as exemplary, as he lately stepped down from a bounty he had no dedication or time enough to complete, though delivering a considerable progress on it without claiming money but opening it up again for a potential contributor.

im not hostile, im frank. if you take it for hostility its yours. community doesnt demand anything from you. whatever you do for it or not remains to your own consideration.

i never said you were hostile or try to sabotage anything. i just doubt you will be able to help at this point, so id prefer you just not to distract. i expect you will find out yourself not later than at amiwest, im curious myself how that may come out.

People who are hostile are often fantastically skilled at deluding themselves into believing they're "just being frank"

When Jason offered to take over the kickstart bounty, I readily agreed, as I needed to focus on my professional life at at that point.

You're still being negative, and a troll, and I am sure you will deny both, however I suggest you take a look in the mirror and re-examine whether or not your actions are actually warranted. I am done with this thread, and I am sure you will enjoy having your last word here. Try rising above it, next time.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;709394
im not hostile, im frank.
The old "it's okay for me to be an asśhole because I'm right" bit. Classic.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
Quote from: aperez;709182
*years go by*...

Well, given that I've never sold, or tried to sell, anything that didn't actually exist, I thoroughly object to the Merlancia comparison.

For the last couple of years, I've been working for a start-up that was acquired by AMD earlier this year, but I've decided I'd like to resume pursuing Anubis OS, and would like to invite anyone who has an interest in such future-minded but past-inspired things to contact me directly. I will be at AmiWest again this year, and was present the last couple as well.

Towards that end, I've begun moving through the paces to revive http://www.anubis-os.org and would like to kindly request that people limit the rampant speculation to whatever degree they find themselves capable (which, for a meaningful minority of regular posters, would appear to be not at all).

I look forward to seeing and talking with you again during the 2012 AmiWest Show next month Alex.

Don't mind the negativity shown in this thread, if you let it get to you, it will steal any inspiration you might have for Amiga projects away from you.  The silent majority here far outweighs the few vocal negative members.

Personally, I think the idea of Anubis is a good one, but as others have alluded to in this thread, I think something identical, or similar might already be in the works by others.  Perhaps you can join with them to move their project forward more quickly.  As far as I know (which when it comes to any fork of AROS is extremely limited) the project(s) that are similar to Anubis are still Open Source, so anyone should be able to contribute to them.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
Can anyone point me to a synopsis of the goals of Anubis?

Do they want to re-create the 3.1 API under a Linux kernal or are we just talking Amiga-like?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »
Sorry if I ask something on topic, but....

@aperez

Do you plan to co-operate with other linux hosted AROS project(s) and other AROS for Pi project(s)?
Perhaps you already are?

(perhaps it was already said somewhere but this thread did not seem too informative to read)

UPDATE: sorry, the topic was not about anubis, but anyway. ;-)

@aperez
Are you a fan of Stargate series? (the red goaul in me asks)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:49:45 AM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline aperez

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 28, 2012, 12:56:18 AM »
Quote from: KimmoK;709438
Sorry if I ask something on topic, but....

@aperez

Do you plan to co-operate with other linux hosted AROS project(s) and other AROS for Pi project(s)?
Perhaps you already are?

(perhaps it was already said somewhere but this thread did not seem too informative to read)

UPDATE: sorry, the topic was not about anubis, but anyway. ;-)

@aperez
Are you a fan of Stargate series? (the red goaul in me asks)

@KimmoK, Yes indeed, I have already had discussions with the other maintainers of linux-hosted AROS projects, and AROS-Pi folk.

On the Stargate front, I guess you could call me a fan, although I haven't watched them in years.