Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guidelines to avoid trolling ?  (Read 4830 times)

Description:

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
Re: Three good guidelines, and...
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 24, 2003, 04:12:39 AM »
Right, no-one who's gotten as far in life as he has could have such a naive outlook.  That's why I initially assumed he was talking about the world in general.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Show only replies by Nightcrawler
    • http://www.amerikanskbulldog.no
Re: Three good guidelines, and...
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2003, 04:42:10 AM »
In my opinion trolling is very rare on Amiga.org compared to the other boards I use. But any troll is a troll too much, I think.

On my forum I have a kind of auto-moderation(?) that cancels posts that contain certain words in certain contexts. It has been very effective in testing, but if it is good enough for real world use remains to be seen. It's REBOL based, in part.

I figure you could do the same on A.org, just stop posts containing the words "Amiga" and "Pegasos" and you're laughing!  :-D
\\"There are still places where people think that the function of the media is to provide information.\\"
 -- Don Rottenberg--

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
Re: Guidelines to avoid trolling ?
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2003, 07:25:27 AM »
More people are trolling than are generally credited - it's just that these trolls are more subtle than some of the blatant or clumsy ones. But count the posts of these craftier, less obvious people - they put out a lot of spin.

Instead of anti-troll guidelines maybe we need anti-littering laws ;  }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2003, 08:01:02 AM »
One sure fire way to avoid trolling is to stay off A.Org.   :-?

But, since that is impossible !   :-)   Wear platform shoes to keep above the "Troll Dung"!  :crazy:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2003, 01:21:34 AM »
TEST to increase Post # by ONE.

:-)

Did not like the number!

R&B

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2003, 01:31:01 AM »
Try to avoid needless use of the words 'professional', 'toy', 'junk', 'military...

Hang on a moment, now I'm trolling! D'Oh! :lol:
int p; // A

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2003, 01:41:12 AM »
Don't tell people that the like to ban everyone left right and centre!

@Karlos
:lol:

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2003, 02:31:56 AM »
I do fall into the OFF-TOPIC poster from time to time, I also have recently been a strong contributor to starting a flame war (not really intentionally, I was swept up in the heat of the moment over some things)

So, from my perspective here's what I think...

People need to accentuate the fact that they are joking a little more often on here.  

I've seen several circumstances where someone was intending to playfully poke fun at something and someone else  responded vehemently due to their not understanding the intended statement wasn't serious.  

I don't think there is a problem with an off-topic post here and there especially when it's a fairly playful jibe, and the person does their best to make sure everyone is aware that they are not serious and not trying to drastically divert the conversation.

Don't forget that what is written in text does not necessarily communicate the tone of your voice as if you had said it in person.  Also, because I am fond of poking fun with some OFF-TOPIC posting, I try to make sure that the thread has continued for awhile and the majority of opinion available has already been expressed (ie the thread is dying down) before going to something like that.
Although I have on occasion faltered here, I do try.

I do have a problem with people giving out particularly bad and sometimes dangerous advice as though they are the end-all  and be-all creators of everything amiga, and it is at this point where I usually get more vocal.  

I do realize that much of what is a good idea or bad idea is opinion, but when you start suggesting to people that they do things like stick screwdrivers into the 'suction-cup looking thingy on the CRT tube,' I think there should be some serious moderation going on.  Don't forget that the majority of Amigans are not electrical engineers.

There should be some work done for posts that could potentially cause people to receive electrical shocks in addition to utterly destroying their machines without even giving some kind of warning that this could be fairly hazardous.

I would also suggest that you don't refer to other people's hardware as crap or some other negative designator simply because you don't care for it.  There are very good reasons for owning ANY kind of computer, and you should instead be willing to ask someone why they chose their particular machine instead of insulting them for it.

I mean after all, it's pretty easy to insult the choice of anybody who'd choose an Amiga nowadays, especially  if you don't even bother to ask them why.

BTW, I am actually very impressed with the moderators on here, they're not overly obsessed with the rules to the point where someone can't even make a simple joke, but they still take their jobs seriously.  On top of that, you guys  are full of good information (along with the majority of people here)

Amiga.org isn't all  that bad, take a look at www.kuro5hin.org sometime.
Professional Expatriate