Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: is super street fighter 2 a good port?  (Read 8316 times)

Description:

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
Re: is super street fighter 2 a good port?
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:11 AM »
Owning a SNES, Megadrive and Amiga I would have to say that for sheer arcade replication the Megadrive wins.

The 6-Button Megadrive pad was far more true to the cabinets than the shoulder buttons of the SNES (and consoles ever since).

Nothing really comes close to the Streets of Rage and Sonic games for sprite animation, scrolling and multi-channel sound. Shinobi was another good one and Yuzo Koshiro certainly knew how to get the most out of that little Z80 sound processor. Treasure were also a good exploiter of the Sega Megadrive with Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy now appearing on a retro compilation.

On the subject of sound chips, Megadrive's was a 10-channel audio processor so you could say it was more capable than the SNES, particularly when the Mega-CD added it's own 22KHz PCM processor and CDDA. Not to mention the Megadrive/Mega-CD/32X combo.

The SuperFX chip used in some SNES carts was, I believe, just a maths chip. It was used in Starwing(/Starfox), Stunt Race FX and Doom, I don't think it was used in Killer Instinct. KI was a damn fine beat 'em up though, equally as good as Streetighter 2 (I did a 64 hit combo with Orchid once!)

A lot of the speech samples on the Megadrive Streetfighter 2:CE were cracklier than the SNES but alledgedly this was to use more memory for character animation (and boy was it good on Megadrive). Megadrive SF2:CE was 24-MBit which is smaller than the 4x 880K floppies (27½-MBit) the risible Amiga version resided on.

Megadrive Super Streetfighter 2 was 40-MBit (5MB or 6x 880K floppies). There really isn't excuse for anything but perfection on a CD32 version as the 3DO version was apparently pretty good).

As for Zool 2, well the Jaguar version beat the Amiga one hands down. It has the same resolution from what I can make out but the scrolling is fluid (unlike the Zool 2 AGA which is crappy). Also, the Jag version has simultaneous Sound and Music.

Some Amiga games were lazy and there's no excuse for that, US Gold definately deserve infamy for their {bleep}ups. If you want to witness what Amiga can do in terms of sound and scrolling forget Ruff 'N Tumble and try Kid Chaos. I'm not sure if it's AGA but it has scrolling as smoothe and fast as Sonic, the character (A caveman) spins around much the same way and is basically a higher octane Zool.

I heard Super Stardust was crap on PC! It's a damn good game on AGA Amigas machines though, standard Stardust for ECS is just as playable with fantastic eye and ear candy!

I agree about Chaos Engine's scrolling, it's certainly not up to Mercs on Megadrive.

I suppose now all these machines are classed as retro you can pick them up a little cheaper and with good bundles.

Even though I'm a fan of the Sonic games and Zool/Kid Chaos, nothing is more beautiful to the eyes and ears than Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

:banana: :banana: ;-)

EDIT:
I have a 1987 copy of Streetfighter 1 (1x 880k floppy or 7-MBit) but I can't get it to run.

:-(

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:48:54 AM »
by nicholas:
The 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the best coin-op conversion I have ever played.

Gonna plug in the old 3DO and play it again this weekend methinks.

Didn't the 3DO have only one joypad port and 2-player was connected to the first joypad? There was a cool tank game that looked good on 3DO too, not to mention the best version of Road Rash!

Anyone remember the Philips CDi? I seem to recall it having a rubbish Zelda/Mario game or two but Burn Cycle was highly rated. The CDTV didn't seem to have a killer app, wonder what the CD32's was... Alien Breed:Tower Assault maybe?

I'll have to track down this Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo:The New Challengers, does it support CD32 pads?

:-D

Wasn't Mortal Kombat 2 an AGA title? I remember it being pretty close to the coin-op, very playable. WHDLoad would make this a cracker.

The best Mortal Kombat 2 was probably the 32X version, then it went to Mortal Kombat 3 on Megadrive/SNES (I had a job testing the cartridges once!). You can't beat a cartridge based machine for beat 'em ups, who wants loading times when you could be spending that time exacting revenge?

;-)

Don't recall Kid Chaos having borders, you sure it isn't an NTSC/PAL issue?

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »
Gav: I liked Streetfighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, not such a big fan of the Neo Geo stuff but my favourite of all of them was Killer Instinct on the SNES!

I had a job once building the Mortal Kombat 3 game cartridges for the Megadrive!

Streets of Rage 3 is my favourite - what other game would allow you a 2-player cooperative with a kangaroo and a ninja fighting hookers in the middle of a techno club!?

Now there's something to try on a Nomad!

:lol:

I never did get any fun from Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur, I suppose it took a while to learn the moves and become 'at one' with the timing.

EDIT:
by Speelgoedmannetje:
And why think people Zool (2), Chaos Engine and Ruff 'n Tumble do not play smooth? These work perfectly smooth on my plain Amiga500.

Well Zool 2 AGA was pretty jerky, not sure about the OCS/ECS version. It was super smoothe on Jaguar. As for Chaos Engine I tried this and it was a bit jerky compared to say Mercs on Megadrive or Alien Breed - wonder if the A1200 messes with it in some way...

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:44:25 AM »
by Gav:
Yeah Streets of rage 3 is a great game,i loved soul calibur on the dreamcast esp with how nice it looked compared to the arcade version i had played..

Virtua fighter was ok but i never got in to that very much to be honest,i played pt2 the most i think on the saturn.
I remember when it was my 13th birthday and mk3 was due for release and i had spent my birthday money on jungle book for the megadrive lol.

I started to regret it after i seen my mate playing his MK3 at the time lol.

Soul Calibur had gorgeous graphics but you weren't fully immersed until you had learnt the moves. The Dreamcast pad wasn't perfect for beat 'em ups and the arcade stick was horrible.

NiGHTS and Sega Rally were probably my favourite Saturn games.

I had Jungle Book on Game Gear and it was quite playable, had good reviews too. Mortal Kombat 3 introduced 'Friendship' and 'Animality' where you could be nice to your defeated opponent or turn them into something peculiar.

Lion King and Alladin were great on Megadrive/Genesis... I'd like to try them for A1200. Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 were great on Amiga, much better with WHDLoad I'd imagine. Will have to register that soon - start building a collection!