Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros Raspberri Pi  (Read 3750 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Aros Raspberri Pi
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;751736
...I would imagine that a native ARM version with 2D/3D acceleration using Tegra or Mali would also be jaw dropping when compared to classic and NG Amigas graphically. Not to mention the price comparison(s) to NG Amigas....that would be jaw dropping as well.  It seems that the critics of AROS running natively on ARM or x86 consist mostly of folks who have an economic interest in NG Amigas.

Well that is odd.
I thought you had a fairly negative opinion about NG systems.

Frankly, I'd tend to agree with you that ARM seems to be the truly promising ISA for these systems.

As much as I like A-eon's designs, the pricing of new PPC systems puts them out of the reach of most of us.

On the other hand, I have a quad core A9 based appliance that was really cheap and it flies.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Aros Raspberri Pi
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:24:58 AM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;751722
@gaula92
i think we are talking about x11 in general..

So i just tell you that you can't "judge" it for the bad performance on rpi.

On any other device, may it ARM, x86, ppc or whatever, X11 runs fast.

Check this and cry:
https://developer.nvidia.com/content/kayla-platform

This is a ARM device in desktop league.

Cubie is nice since it gives better performance than a SAM for around 80 bucks (including PSU, sdcard)
X11 flies, check cubieez.

All have X11 drivers and so X11 is not bad.

Wayland without drivers sucks totally... Means.
Instead of wasting time with waylaid, people should just create X11 compatible drivers.

Wayland is not as bloated because it has no "history". X11 supports any HW since the beginning of Linux. Wayland doesn't. Less features, less compatibility = smaller footprint. Is it really better? Depends on what you use Linux and if you need old stuff to work. I could accept wayland when it proves good backward-compatibility with the Xwayland wrapper.

PS: the vidio i saw was a few weeks old. So yes i judge, because it runs on a defined HW called rPi.

You apparently lead a sheltered life.
Currently I would not consider any product that does not have at least a dual core A9 processor.
I was rather dismayed to see that the Cubie you mention was offered with A7 and A9 processors.

And the price on the Nvidia board you mentioned is ludicrous.

It would be nice to see more ARM boards that featured PCIe expansion like the Nvidia board (even if it only offered four lanes), but I'm sure that will become more common.

Something tells me that when the A57 is released, other ISA manufacturers better watch out.
But for now, I can't serious recommend it for anything other than mcu use if it is not at least A9 or A15 based.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"