Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I miss BBS's!!!  (Read 12755 times)

Description:

Offline robo-ant

• Show all replies
Re: I miss BBS's!!!
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:33 AM »
Quote from: stevee617;602316
Don't get me wrong, I am really happy that we have sites and forums to discuss issues, but how many wish we still had Amiga BBSs still up and running???

I miss BBSes, too.  And they don't have to be Amiga boards.  I wasn't into sharing software very much, I liked BBSes for the conversation.  I especially liked the chat functions on a couple of the multi-line boards, and all the homebrew and modified BBS software written by the sysops themselves.  I liked BBSes more before the "offline readers" were in vogue and you had to be connected to read/write messages.  I liked it more when there were "message pads" where you would respond to many posts in one post, and didn't have quoting, and where you were replying before you saw other replies.  I found that that actually resulted in the best BBSing experience.

It was great to go to a GT and meet everyone in real life, too, at a pub or a theatre for the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

One thing I can do without, though, is the busy signals, sometimes for hours at a time.  And if you had to be away for a while and couldn't BBS for a while, trying to catch up when there were maybe a hundred posts per day on a popular BBS (and I was a member of several)...

At one time I wanted to run my own single-line BBS on a VIC-20, though I didn't actually have an auto-answer modem for a VIC.  A hardware-savvy friend of mine made a serial interface for his VIC that could do 9600bps and I was going to try to write BBS software and put it on a cartridge.  I never got a round tuit, which is too bad.