Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Licensing Kickstart ROMs for Raspberry Pi  (Read 25755 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: Licensing Kickstart ROMs for Raspberry Pi
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
Wow! Eben Upton posting in Amiga.org!

I have my Raspberry Pi since May and I love it. It's currently running Gentoo Linux and the awesome Risc OS.
I believe the way to go would be AROS (native port was talked about time ago..) with the AROS replacement ROM: no need to mess with thieves, in my opinion.
UAE on Linux on the Rpi is NOT a good idea, believe me. To archieve smooth scroll you'd need custom video modes on X and SDL on OpenGL backend. Another option would be the SDL on the framebuffer, with the adequate custom modes in /etc/fb.modes, but I don't know how good is the framebuffer driver for the Rpi.
What's your plan, if you can tell me?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
The truth, the real truth is no one can prove legal ownership of the kickstart roms. If someone could, they would have done so. Instead, each time this question comes up, the amiga grave robbers still profiting from selling these ancient rom files are deadly silent.

I'm glad the aros kickstart roms will soon end this bull****. I hope they will continue to improve and provide a level of compatibility that will mean the old actual amiga kickstart roms are no longer needed.

I don't believe the pi has enough horsepower to adequately emulate an amiga without alot of dropped frames, skipping sound and so forth, but I could be wrong... If there was an optimized aros distro just for PI, it may be able to emulate classic apps without problems, but I'm not sure it would deal well with very demanding aga games and so on...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:21:24 AM by haywirepc »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
Quote from: eben;699886
For the last few months I've been making sporadic attempts to locate the copyright holder in the Amiga ROMs, with a view to allowing Raspberry Pi users to legally use emulators like UAE. Unfortunately I've met with little success.

Can someone enlighten me as to where the copyrights currently reside?

Eben Upton
Executive Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

Welcome! You've stumbled into a minefield regarding the Amiga's Kickstart ROMs. Even the so-called Amiga Inc.'s ownership of them is in dispute. We, as a collective community, have been trying to figure out definitive ownership for years.

As others have said, Cloanto and AROS are probably your best bets. If Cloanto can't license you the ROMs directly, they can probably license you Amiga Forever, which would be a neat, all-in-one solution. It might be a little more expensive per unit, but it will probably pay for itself in terms of reduction of headaches and legal nonsense with Amiga Inc. and other litigious entities.

AROS will be free, or close to it, but it's not as out-of-the box as Amiga Forever. You'd gain some performance in that it would be running natively on the Pi's CPU, but said CPU may not have enough horsepower to power many of the modern AROS applications. Then again, it may - I'm not sure. You'd still be under emulation for the "classic" stuff, albeit in a more integrated way.

Offline deadwood

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 05:57:21 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;699913

AROS will be free, or close to it, but it's not as out-of-the box as Amiga Forever. You'd gain some performance in that it would be running natively on the Pi's CPU, but said CPU may not have enough horsepower to power many of the modern AROS applications. Then again, it may - I'm not sure. You'd still be under emulation for the "classic" stuff, albeit in a more integrated way.

As per this post, Pascal Papara is already working on integrating AROS Vision m68k which uses AROS Kickstart ROM into AEROS which already runs on Pi. So ROMs can come to Pi sooner than we think :

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6443&start=20#86886

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:33 AM »
Another option is to just refer ppl to google search for TOSEC Amiga Roms:
*LINK REMOVED*
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:13:25 PM by J-Golden »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
NICE. Thanks DJOS.

I am downloading this torrent now. I do own amiga forever, but its nice to just have the roms for linux uae or whatever else I want without using those.

In my view after buying some 10 amiga computers over the years, I think I'm morally fine just downloading and using the roms to emulate my old software collection.

Of course, other people would call that piracy. Those people are either amiga grave robbers or have some connection to them.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
For the last few months I've been making sporadic attempts to locate the copyright holder in the Amiga ROMs, with a view to allowing Raspberry Pi users to legally use emulators like UAE. Unfortunately I've met with little success.

Eben Upton
Hi Eben,

I'm a Raspberry Pi user and suggest that you look at (the 68k build of) AROS for Amiga operating system files. Since it's free, open source and unencumbered with Licence issues.

I'm still trying to get an Amiga Emulator to build on my Pi, GLES is cause the most headaches right now. More interesting is a direct compile of AROS for the RasPi, which makes a lot more sense than an OS as heavy as Debian :)

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;699932
NICE. Thanks DJOS.

I am downloading this torrent now. I do own amiga forever, but its nice to just have the roms for linux uae or whatever else I want without using those.

In my view after buying some 10 amiga computers over the years, I think I'm morally fine just downloading and using the roms to emulate my old software collection.

Of course, other people would call that piracy. Those people are either amiga grave robbers or have some connection to them.
i figure if you own the physical roms (i have 1.3, 2.04 & 3.1 for a500) then you are legally entitled to "format shift" them. :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »

Eben Upton

Hyperion definitely have some kind of rights to AOS3 ROM files.
Perhaps worth to ask:
http://hyperion-entertainment.com/
From OS News: "settlement agreement under which Hyperion gets the rights to the Amiga trademarks, as well as the rights to AmigaOS 3.x, AmigaOS 4.x, and any possible future version."
And info at hyperion: http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134:hyperion-entertainment-cvba-and-amiga-inc-reach-settlement&catid=38:corporate&Itemid=18

(AOS3 ROMS nowdays ship with AOS4, made by Hyperion. They might be interested in ARM port as well, if funding can be arranged.)

And, IIRC, Amiga ROMs + AOS3 bootable system can be bought from Cloanto for a few euros per licence. Worth to check, definitely.
http://www.amigaforever.com/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:52:36 AM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline AmigaBlitter

• Show only replies by AmigaBlitter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
@eben

Welcome mr. Eben.

Good to see that Amiga still in the heart of many.
Just a coucle of questions about the PI: it's hard to get the Broadcom graphics chip driver source code? Broadcom gives away this driver as opensource or what?

Another intriguing question: what about an Amiga device PPC based similar to the Raspberry?
It\\\'s time for the Amiga to come back

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
Quote from: AmigaBlitter;699941
@eben
...PPC based similar to the Raspberry?
QUOTE]

It would require some new PPC chip, IMHO.
(from Verisilicon or ChinaChip)
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;699912
The truth, the real truth is no one can prove legal ownership of the kickstart roms. If someone could, they would have done so. Instead, each time this question comes up, the amiga grave robbers still profiting from selling these ancient rom files are deadly silent.

Someone has to own them, and that would be Amiga Inc.  If it's not Amiga Inc, it would default to Commodore Holding as the last owner.  With the release of the AROS 68K and AROS replacement kickstart, Amiga Inc's IP has significantly devalued AI's WB/KS files but that does not remove ownership.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;699934
Hi Eben,

I'm a Raspberry Pi user and suggest that you look at (the 68k build of) AROS for Amiga operating system files. Since it's free, open source and unencumbered with Licence issues.

I'm still trying to get an Amiga Emulator to build on my Pi, GLES is cause the most headaches right now. More interesting is a direct compile of AROS for the RasPi, which makes a lot more sense than an OS as heavy as Debian :)
its neccessary to mention that aros/kickstart 68k although progressing very well, is not yet ready for everyday use. there are still bugs on a ground level, apparently hard to hunt down. but i hope it will be sun a real alternative.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;699955
its neccessary to mention that aros/kickstart 68k although progressing very well, is not yet ready for everyday use. there are still bugs on a ground level, apparently hard to hunt down. but i hope it will be sun a real alternative.
It's far more important to note that Amiga emulation on the Raspberry Pi is much further behind AROS ;)

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
@eben

this is AmigaOS launching xterm.
It's called Aminux and will be available sooner than later for Pi too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbDJAVLjWI

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 13, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
Now I really have to buy a pi... I was going to anyway, but with all the amiga stuff with them, its a great little board to play with.