Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UltimatePPC and everything else  (Read 24882 times)

Description:

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
Re: UltimatePPC and everything else
« Reply #209 from previous page: June 19, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
Well if we`re talking 68k then I agree that a silly-fast x86 with jit and glue in fpga as an accelerator would be amazing.  In fact it`s a bit of a dream of mine.  I even posited it on natami.org but of course I can offer little to help so it`s just a dream.

edit: well, in ROM or whatever, you know what I mean...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:07:02 PM by Frags »
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Cosmos

• Show only replies by Cosmos
    • http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
@all

If someone know Sam Jordan = Please, send him this picture, I discovered a bug in WarpUp/PowerPC_FreeXMsg

Thanks,

Offline MastaTabs

• Show only replies by MastaTabs
    • http://www.sophisticated-development.de/
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Quote from: itix;697490
http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/219881.shtml

Interesting read. And pretty much states outright the foolishness of using the e500 core when you need a standard PowerPC with FPU. I hope that the UltimatePPC people take this on board and maybe take a look at SoCs from AMCC or better Freescale SoCs instead.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Quote from: buzz;697007
that sounds like an expensive way to run aros.

you know there is a difference between me having the freedom to do something, and you telling me to do something right ? :)

You either want to do something or you don't. If you're just in love with the idea that you should be able to do whatever you want but you're not going to contribute anything back then tough, nobody cares.

AROS on UltimatePPC is what you need to achieve your objectives, you just need to get over the idea that MorphOS or AOS4 should be open source.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;697507
You either want to do something or you don't. If you're just in love with the idea that you should be able to do whatever you want but you're not going to contribute anything back then tough, nobody cares.

AROS on UltimatePPC is what you need to achieve your objectives, you just need to get over the idea that MorphOS or AOS4 should be open source.

No - I want the freedom to be able to do something. I don't need telling what I should or shouldn't do - and I already contribute huge amounts of my free time (close to all of it) to open source projects.

AROS on ultimatePPC isn't going to be that useful when it runs better on cheaper already available hardware. but yeh, the freedom is there to do it. I don't see your point though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:37:30 PM by buzz »

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
Update from the developers:

Happy Holidays from the UltimatePPC team!*

As we are nearing the summer holidays it is time for a quick status update from our side. The last few months have been hectic as both Gideon and myself have been extremely busy with personal affairs besides trying to advance the UltimatePPC project. As we have the prototype boards in our hands we have been actively working on booting a basic kernel on the PowerPC core and interfacing the board to the Amiga bus. Parallel we are starting the software development side of things, with WarpOS support being worked on - as well as first contact with Hyperion regarding AmigaOS4 support.

We also keep an eye on feedback from the community and are evaluating the choice made for the P1013 CPU.We knew that the FPU in this processor is incompatible with the ones found on older PowerPC boards. Our original plan to fix these incompatibilities in software turns out to have more impact that we had foreseen. For this reason, we will reconsider the choice of PowerPC CPU, while continuing the development work of other important stuff on the current prototype.

So what's next? First we'll take a few weeks off for holidays and time with family. Somewhere in August we get together again… Expect a new update end of August! Happy holidays!
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum