Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many Amiga users are left?  (Read 23369 times)

Description:

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
Re: How many Amiga users are left?
« Reply #134 from previous page: November 15, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
I use my Amiga 1200 every week, I may not be on here as much as I used to be, but all the same for the the Amiga was the first computer I went over to after the Commodore 64/128.
I got my Amiga A600 many years ago then onto the A1200 with great pride, for me the Amiga is the only computer with a heart and soul, no other can compare to that.
Mike.J.Lee
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline apsturk

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Hello, I am not left, I am new to Amiga. I use many classics and new AmigaOne systems. Of all the sales of Amiga On The Lake I can share with you that 1/2 of  all AmigaOneX5000 customers are "new" to AmigaOS
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline James1095

• Show only replies by James1095
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
I built a Minimig a number of years ago and use it off and on. I collect all sorts of retro computer platforms and my interest in a given platform tends to run in cycles. I tend to pull one out of the closet and set it up, play with it frequently for a few weeks and then put it away and get out a different system. My daily driver that I do all my real work on is a Windows 7 machine but I love playing with the classic systems when I'm feeling nostalgic. The Amiga was so far ahead of its time back in the heyday, I can only wonder what it would have evolved into by now had CBM survived and kept it relevant amongst the general population.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
Quote from: James1095;816475
I built a Minimig a number of years ago and use it off and on. I collect all sorts of retro computer platforms and my interest in a given platform tends to run in cycles. I tend to pull one out of the closet and set it up, play with it frequently for a few weeks and then put it away and get out a different system. My daily driver that I do all my real work on is a Windows 7 machine but I love playing with the classic systems when I'm feeling nostalgic. The Amiga was so far ahead of its time back in the heyday, I can only wonder what it would have evolved into by now had CBM survived and kept it relevant amongst the general population.

I have always imagined that in this theoretical world, that Commodore and Atari were still battling it out, Apple would have died off with their proprietary thinking where Commodore would have created an iPhone like device and moved along with it, and Atari would have done more along the lines of Android.  

Granted part of my thinking about this is that they were so competitive with each other, yet at the same time so very innovative in bursts that we could have potentially been further ahead now than we are.  But the Atari = Android vs Commodore = Walled Garden is from the way TOS has evolved (open source EmuTOS) vs Kickstart (people still grumbling about who owns the copyright.).  Granted there is work being done for a Kickstart replacement from the AROS side.

It's kind of odd bouncing back and forth between the two communities.  One of these days I'm going to try to get together an article or something, not sure where I'd publish it though...

I'm still waiting to put a CT60e into my Falcon so I can properly compare the best of the best between the two platforms (I already have an '060 in my A4000).

But more back on topic.... While I have my A4000 connected at all times, I've been playing with my Falcon a bit more lately (mainly because I was saddened when my Cyberstorm MK1 decided to burn up in a blaze of glory, and my attempt to get a MK2 working in my Amiga failed I was too sad to work on it, though I finally got it working again with RTG / Internet)
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline James1095

• Show only replies by James1095
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
At the time, Apple was still quite open, especially with the II series but much less so with the Mac. The book for my Apple IIe actually has full schematics of the system along with the theory of operation and everything you need to design your own peripherals and program it. Steve Jobs' vision of the Mac was a computer that was an appliance, one you could simply take out of the box, plug it in and use it. Not my cup of tea, but there is certainly a market for that. People like my mother for example are not computer savvy at all but need to use a computer for work. She doesn't care how it works internally as long as it does what she needs. I was never a fan of Macs back then but as I play with them now it's undeniable that like the Amiga, the 68k Macs were far ahead of the PC clones of the era, though correspondingly more expensive.

I suspect that had development of the Amiga continued, the hardware would have made the same inevitable shift toward commodity PC components as Apple. Processors became more and more powerful and GPUs and audio boards became commodity items eliminating the need for special custom chips. Development would have focused on the operating system as the hardware became more generic. The availability of software for the platform is the make or break aspect as it is for any platform and there is no telling whether Commodore could have maintained a niche in audio/video production and games as Apple largely has in the graphic arts and desktop publishing industries.

Computers just aren't as exciting anymore as they used to be. The tech has matured and everything has largely plateaued. Even low end PCs are now more powerful than needed by the vast majority of users need. Rather than bringing new features and capabilities, new versions of software generally just move everything around and make the UI uglier, conforming to the latest fads. I don't even upgrade anymore in most cases because rather than being better, I've too frequently found that new versions take away features I used and hid other things.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2016, 03:03:25 AM »
don't know how I missed this old poll but my votes for 1 & 2 as I'm both a classic & NG user
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;643771
Out of curiosity how many users are there on the other Amiga forums? Is Amiga.org one of the larger ones? Lemonamiga seems quite large...  :)

eab seems more active.  I thought this one was dead after a couple weeks went by and I wasn't approved to join.

I unfortunately don't get to use my Amiga much, have a 2000 that I am trying to fix and then FS-UAE and AROS hosted.

Offline David Wright

« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
went to Kippers page and it shows over 1,100 on waiting list for Vampire 600 alone!  with 500 and 1200 users one could only imagine.

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Quote from: David Wright;816538
went to Kippers page and it shows over 1,100 on waiting list for Vampire 600 alone!  with 500 and 1200 users one could only imagine.

Vampire sure kicked something off in the Classic Amiga community and has drawn interest from many ex-users and inactive users.
Well, it's fresh has real good specs, it's affordable and finally something faster then 060!
I had been inactive for 8 years with Amiga's but Vampire lit my fire again!
I'm one of the lucky few 400+ users to have a Vampire v2 for my A600 and I enjoy it every day and can't wait for the A1200 version.
If the demand for the V600 is an indication for V500 and V1200 sales... my god!
2017 is going to be an Awesome year for classic users!
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline ToddH

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
Quote from: PPC;816547
Vampire sure kicked something off in the Classic Amiga community and has drawn interest from many ex-users and inactive users.
Well, it's fresh has real good specs, it's affordable and finally something faster then 060!
I had been inactive for 8 years with Amiga's but Vampire lit my fire again!
I'm one of the lucky few 400+ users to have a Vampire v2 for my A600 and I enjoy it every day and can't wait for the A1200 version.
If the demand for the V600 is an indication for V500 and V1200 sales... my god!
2017 is going to be an Awesome year for classic users!

Yep. Same here. My nice, clean, recapped A600 is sitting at my desk patiently waiting for my name to be called. The Vampire 2 is what brought me back to the community.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »
Interesting statistic I just made up on the spot. One Amiga user dies every day. Which will make us extinct by the end of 2018.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;816558
Interesting statistic I just made up on the spot. One Amiga user dies every day. Which will make us extinct by the end of 2018.

75% of all statistics are inaccurate.  :)

Offline dovegrace

• Committed Git
    • Show only replies by dovegrace
    • http://dovegrace.blogspot.com
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
I'm not left, I'm more centrist.
A1200: 50mhz GVP Jaws II+, OS 3.1, 32mb Fast, 1gb HD, Indivision MKIICR, PCMCIA network
A4000D: stock 030/25, OS 3.9, 16mb Fast, 1gb HD, Picasso II, Ariadne II, IOExtender

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
Quote from: dovegrace;816589
I'm not left, I'm more centrist.

I see what you did there.

Offline David Wright

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2016, 11:48:07 PM »
Sounds like an apocalyptic movie, The last Amigans.

Pc virus lays waste to the Amiga users in the early nineties, years later a few crawl from under their computer dust covers to lay claim to the tech landscape with the aid of a Vampire!

Offline bison

• Show only replies by bison
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2016, 04:46:28 AM »
I've gone from emulation user to lurker during the past year. But I try to keep an eye on things; one can never be %100 sure that Amiga won't make a comeback. Where there's life there's hope, as my Gaffer used to say. :)
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner