Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ben Hermans still staunchly against x86  (Read 21490 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Ben Hermans still staunchly against x86
« Reply #254 from previous page: November 08, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;590357
Pegasos 1 & 2 and Efika 5200b were produced in Germany. Hence I think this China argument is rather void. And if Italy was that expensive I guess Bruxelles should really kick some arses in Roma. And why is a Fiat or Alfa then not x times more expensive than a Volkswagen or Mercedes... Poducing in Italy is not that expensive if done right.

Zylesea has a point. Chinese manufacturing could help lower the cost of a mass produced motherboard. The affect on a low volume board wouldn't be as significant.
But I'd be surprisped if Acube's suggested retail wasn't about twice the manufactering cost.
Small manufacturers used to dealing with the embedded/industrial market often sell low volume products at steep prices.
I'd like to know what Acube's primary market is.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;590343
Probably whoever Acube's real customer base is had a requirement where the 460 was the best fit.

They *never* confirmed any sale ouside  the OS4 community and the website is 100% OS4-o-centric. Unless they confirm that they sold serious numbers of the Sam boards outside Amigaland I *highly doubt* they did.
They may target that market, but I don't see them selling outside Amigaland. If  they were successful, they would communicating this (no, they don't need to disclose names, but usually start ups are happy to announce successes). Denx GmbH, which are listed on the Acube site as partner, don't list Acube products on their hardware page.
IMHO it is a mythst or probably wishful thinking that Sams are sold to the embedded market. At least not in serious quantities.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;590366
They *never* confirmed any sale ouside  the OS4 community and the website is 100% OS4-o-centric. Unless they confirm that they sold serious numbers of the Sam boards outside Amigaland I *highly doubt* they did.
They may target that market, but I don't see them selling outside Amigaland. If  they were successful, they would communicating this (no, they don't need to disclose names, but usually start ups are happy to announce successes). Denx GmbH, which are listed on the Acube site as partner, don't list Acube products on their hardware page.
IMHO it is a mythst or probably wishful thinking that Sams are sold to the embedded market. At least not in serious quantities.

On their homepage and software page, sure. On their hardware page they don't mention OS4. In their user manuals they never mention OS4. The Flex seems to be the only exception - it's clearly tied to the OS4 market.

Look at the generic wording for the SAM440 & 460 boards:
"The Sam460ex is made both for embedded and consumer markets. It can be adapted to different needs. "..." How can the operating system be loaded? It is possible to load the operating system from a SATA harddisk, a CDROM connected on SATA, a USB key, a SD card or from the network."

How do you explain the EyeMotion?

Also keep in mind, the SAM440 used to be on it's own domain. Acube could have easily pointed potential embedded customers to that domain without ever having to explain why OS4 is so prominent on the Acube home page. That domain is now deprecated, but you can still find the links to it via Google (SAM440.com).

As for not announcing their customers, maybe they have the same kind of clients as whoever supplies the CPU to A-eon.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;590378
On their homepage and software page, sure. On their hardware page they don't mention OS4. In their user manuals they never mention OS4. The Flex seems to be the only exception - it's clearly tied to the OS4 market.

Look at the generic wording for the SAM440 & 460 boards:
"The Sam460ex is made both for embedded and consumer markets. It can be adapted to different needs. "..." How can the operating system be loaded? It is possible to load the operating system from a SATA harddisk, a CDROM connected on SATA, a USB key, a SD card or from the network."

How do you explain the EyeMotion?

Also keep in mind, the SAM440 used to be on it's own domain. Acube could have easily pointed potential embedded customers to that domain without ever having to explain why OS4 is so prominent on the Acube home page. That domain is now deprecated, but you can still find the links to it via Google (SAM440.com).

As for not announcing their customers, maybe they have the same kind of clients as whoever supplies the CPU to A-eon.

The eyemotion is indeed not exlainable with amiga only (but there are drivers for it and on the 460 board it will be kind of included). And as said, I don't think they were not targetting the embedded market initially and probably sold a few items, but I suspect they weren't really successful. Originally the boards are interesting, tiny, low energy, kind of nice. But that alone doesn't seem to cut it.
Anyway, I kind of like Acube. They actually design boards and deliver. The boards are nice, but overpriced. But I don't see a substancial embedded marked backing up Acube when there is no real evidence given.
I hope Acube will correct this. As said, there is no name disclosure required, but when they have a deal it woudn't be too unusual if  they announced they sold major stock to some mil/com/finace/other-übersecret-market-division/alien company from outer space or maybe even Microsoft.
But w/o confirmation I continue to doubt they sell serious stock outside Amigaland.

Offline Moggen

• Show only replies by Moggen
    • http://emumiga.com/
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
Quote from: Piru;590285
Not the C++ itself (althought I don't like it myself, it sure has some benefits in some case), but I fear the author might be losing focus. Just an example: I know several guys who keep working on the same project, reshaping it to whatever new ideas they have and/or technologies arising. The problem being that the actual project itself doesn't advance.
I feel the same actually. I've spent quite some time on this C++ conversion and I'm a bit frustrated about not advancing the product right now. But the alternative to continue with the tedious manual cut n' pasting of C code is was not very nice either.
I still believe that it will be better in the end.