Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [feel good] Old amiga testimonial  (Read 1286 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
[feel good] Old amiga testimonial
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:32:59 AM »
http://www.basden.demon.co.uk/amiga/why.amiga.html

Not sure when this was written, but it made me smile :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: [feel good] Old amiga testimonial
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
I'm still impressed by how advanced the OS is. I could easily run it as a main operating system. MS didn't seem to get any more interface ideas after Win 98 and all they did then was allow you to use active desktop.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
That was great - thanks for posting! Guy did a real elegant job of verbalizing how many of us feel about using the Amiga or why we're so fond of it.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
yep that's exactly why many of us are running OS4.1.1 today and are excited about the new AmiagOne X1000 :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »
Quote from: runequester;545976
http://www.basden.demon.co.uk/amiga/why.amiga.html

Not sure when this was written, but it made me smile :)

Hw was still using it in '08
http://www.basden.demon.co.uk/amiga/platform.excl.html

All the Salford Uni stuff is gone and he could use a spell checker.  His pages all look more than a bit dated with his stark black on white typewriter page look.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
I think he was right on target with some of this.  I particularly agree that we can continue fine without being compelled to embrace memory management and virtual memeory  (some computer science major is always lamenting this).

As always (my broken record text), I'll also point out the usefulness of virtual devices, RAD: and especially RamDisk:.  I love that AmigaOS is not saddled with a registry file or equiv.  

He mentioned his trust in the system.  Lately, in the U.S., there has been a lot of flap about a school spec,ing a particular laptop with a built-in camera for it's students.  The IT ppl of the school installed anti-theft software and put the camera under their control.  During a moment of confusion about the status of a machine, they turned on the camera to see where it was and captured images in a student's bedroom.  From the images, school officials presumed to find some illegal activity and turned the student in to authorities.  IIRC, he was arrested.  It turned out he was watering house plants or something.  Stay tuned for how this one plays out.

I'm not any kind of criminal (nor paranoid, grin), I simply can not tolerate a machine whose loyalties are divided away from it's owner!  I think non-connected Palms share trustworthiness and longevity with Amigas.

In a world of in increasing network connectivity, anonymity and privacy will be precious commodities.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:47:45 PM by Tenacious »

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
AWeb does not process CSS (cascading style sheets), so web pages are shown as 'boring' text.

Result: This is not really a problem, in fact it is often very useful because it strips away a lot sf unnecessary graphical stuff like adverts, leaving just the important stuff like text.

Result: I cannot see the page as the author meant it to look like - but I don't think I have ever found a need to do so.

LOL! Some stuff is very recognisable though.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
I tried to email but the adress down't work. From the sounds of it he's still using a barely expanded 1200 as his everyday computer - or was in 2008, anyway. I won'der what would happen if he was introduced to mac mini/morhpos or SAM?
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Quote from: Tenacious;546015
I think he was right on target with some of this.  I particularly agree that we can continue fine without being compelled to embrace memory management and virtual memeory  (some computer science major is always lamenting this).
Well, the lack of memory management can be a serious threat with shoddy written on-line services and so. Plus, nowadays programming is incomparable. An awful lot more can be done in much less time, and much more reliably (IF concepts like OO are being obeyed, and not squeezed into some other custom 'design'; I have seen some atrocities, yes).
Still, I as a programmer, want to have some control over how memory is used. I want to know when virtual memory is being used and when not. Plus, I want to be able to trash objects I don't use anymore myself. The garbage collector is a bad concept. The lifeline of objects should be part of your design (and if you can't design, don't you dare to program either).
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;546019
. The garbage collector is a bad concept. The lifeline of objects should be part of your design (and if you can't design, don't you dare to program either).

Could you explain what you mean, here?