Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Black, sexy and menacing...X500 PLUS  (Read 7183 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Black, sexy and menacing...X500 PLUS
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;710358
It's an either/or thing for me. If I can't have buckling springs/cherry switches, then I don't want long-travel keys at all.
I've had a mac aluminum chiclet keyboard for at least five years and it's the best membrane keyboard I've ever used.

Yeah, the type of long travel keyswitches I'm thinking of go down just so far then drop with an audible click. Cherry made good ones and so did a few other companies.
I'm no fan of mushy long travel keys either.

But, the daddy says this is out of our price range. So, chiclets it is.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheDaddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong I love mechanical keyboards and I would have gone that way hadn't it been for the price, they are really expensive...if I can get some money back from this project maybe one day ;)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;710414
Don't get me wrong I love mechanical keyboards and I would have gone that way hadn't it been for the price, they are really expensive...if I can get some money back from this project maybe one day ;)

Not a problem.
The case looks great and the thick metal housing should be great for cooling and really impressive looking.

Also, there's nothing to prevent one of from modifying it (or just plugging in a keyboard).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;710350
I can't see how we would connect it.  The base board has no SATA/PATA connectors and the expension board doesn't either.  It does have USB2, so I was planning an external unit.  I guess a slimline DVD+RW with a USB adapter slapped onto the connector could be done internally without much trouble.  This should do the trick:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2728782&CatId=3770
I guess an external dvd player unit makes more sense. Best for me to order it without a dvd-r player then.
Do we have amiga dvd playing software?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
I'm confused.
You want to hook a DVD drive to a Replay board?
Why?
There's no software that would support that.

I'm not even sure how compatible a CD drive hooked to a USB port would be.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;710428
I'm confused.
You want to hook a DVD drive to a Replay board?
Why?
There's no software that would support that.

I'm not even sure how compatible a CD drive hooked to a USB port would be.

Connecting a DVD drive to a replay is the same as connecting a DVD drive to a real Classic Amiga:

Burn your own CD/DVDs using existing Classic software
Run CD based games.
Load CD based software archives.

The Replay's USB connections on the expansion board will use the Poseidon stack as used by most Classic machines.

I use a DVD+RW connected to my USB port on my A4000.  It works fine.  You can install OS3.9 off it too (once you've installed OS3.1 on your HD and installed the Deneb software).
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;710426
I guess an external dvd player unit makes more sense. Best for me to order it without a dvd-r player then.
Do we have amiga dvd playing software?

Even an expanded classic Amiga can't play DVDs.  I've read that to play a simple MPEG using Frogger requires a PPC card on a Classic.

The CD32 only managed to play VideoCDs by using an FMV cartridge.

FryingPan seems to be the most popular CD/DVD buring software.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;710442
Connecting a DVD drive to a replay is the same as connecting a DVD drive to a real Classic Amiga:

Burn your own CD/DVDs using existing Classic software
Run CD based games.
Load CD based software archives.

The Replay's USB connections on the expansion board will use the Poseidon stack as used by most Classic machines.

I use a DVD+RW connected to my USB port on my A4000. It works fine. You can install OS3.9 off it too (once you've installed OS3.1 on your HD and installed the Deneb software).

That's an interesting option.
So 3.1 and 3.9 will accept a DVD-R as a storage device.
That one's news to me.
And really interesting when you consider how much older the Amiga is when compared to DVD technology.

Darrin, what kind of software do you use that can properly recognize and format writable DVDs?

You know, you're really tempting me to invest back in legacy hardware.

Yet another question. Does the Deneb have an internal USB connection?

I'm beginning to think that an A4000 with a PC floppy drive connected via a Catweasel and a DVD-R drive both installed internally might be fun.

One final question. How come no one has tried to create drivers for DXR2
 and DXR3 cards so the Amiga could play back DVDs and Mpeg2s?

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;710444
That's an interesting option.
So 3.1 and 3.9 will accept a DVD-R as a storage device.
That one's news to me.
And really interesting when you consider how much older the Amiga is when compared to DVD technology.

I assume it boils down to the installed device drivers and file formats which tend to get updated.

Darrin, what kind of software do you use that can properly recognize and format writable DVDs?

You know, you're really tempting me to invest back in legacy hardware.

Personally, I use my DVD+RW just for reading data.  I know you can write it because I've received burned media and it works.  Plus you can check out MAKECD and FRYINGPAN via their web pages.  I have to assume they work as I've never personally used them.

To quote from a user group discussing this issue "As a side note, you can install a CD/DVD burner drive and access data DVDs with an Amiga CD filesystem if those DVDs are burned in ISO9660 format rather thanUDF or something else."

So I guess my burned disks are ISO9660.

Yet another question. Does the Deneb have an internal USB connection?

Yes, it has one internal connector (with an external type header).  Picture here:
http://amiga.erkan.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/indivision-a4000-cd32-6.JPG
You can see the two ports closest to you getting routed to the back panel, and then next to them is another port attached to the board.

So you could either place something like an external USB hard drive inside the case using this port, or do something like I did with my A4000 and use a simple USB male/female cable and a dremel to run this internal header to a slot cut on the front of my case.

Here's a pic of what I did.  I used the empty 2nd floppy slot to mount a CF card reader and a front USB port (see the red light next to the CF card reader?  That's an inserted memory stick):

You can see my black HP USB external DVD+RW drive on the right.

I'm beginning to think that an A4000 with a PC floppy drive connected via a Catweasel and a DVD-R drive both installed internally might be fun.

I've got the standard HD internal floppy drive on my A4000, but I also have a Walmart USB floppy attached to the Deneb (obviously it will not read/write Amiga formatted disks though).  Actually, there isn't much point to it, but it is there for show.  :D

One final question. How come no one has tried to create drivers for DXR2
 and DXR3 cards so the Amiga could play back DVDs and Mpeg2s?

Good question.  Unfortunately when it comes to CD/DVD media on the Classic Amiga I'm a "read only" sort of guy.  I guess I need to experiment with the software on my AmigaOne X1000.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:37:08 PM by Darrin »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
I'm afraid my system looks a bit different now as I bought a Mediator and put it into a tower case:

I've changed the top two 5.25" into removeable hard drive slots.  Makes it easier to swap hard drives between my PC (for WinUAE) and my A4000.  Plus I wanted to be able to insert different hard drives depending on what OS I wanted to run (3.1, 3.9, ClassicWB, AROS, etc).

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;710452
I'm afraid my system looks a bit different now as I bought a Mediator and put it into a tower case:

I've changed the top two 5.25" into removeable hard drive slots. Makes it easier to swap hard drives between my PC (for WinUAE) and my A4000. Plus I wanted to be able to insert different hard drives depending on what OS I wanted to run (3.1, 3.9, ClassicWB, AROS, etc).

Nice.
Looks like every PC I've ever owned though because I never seem to have the side panels on.

Is that a case designed for a mediator equipped 4000, or a modified standard AT/ATX tower.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;710459
Nice.
Looks like every PC I've ever owned though because I never seem to have the side panels on.

Yeah, it has lost the charm of the original case.  :(

Is that a case designed for a mediator equipped 4000, or a modified standard AT/ATX tower.

It is the Elbox case for the A4000.  So now my towered A4000 looks just like my towered A1200.  :D

I got it online with the Mediator board.  At least buying an Elbox case with an Elbox expansion board meant that everything fitted perfectly and the slots all line up.

Offline michel3105

• Show only replies by michel3105
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
Congratulations for this piece of art!

Sorry for not answering you sooner!

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
It looks really great!
I hope I can afford one or two of them.

Offline TheDaddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciated.

I'll post some more pics later.

Offline michel3105

• Show only replies by michel3105
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;710292
Also, make the DVD+RW optional.

I agree.
I, for one, wouldn't want one, really...