Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final of my Aros 68k distribution  (Read 5462 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Final of my Aros 68k distribution
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »
I don't know. I've used Executive and never had issue with it.

Offline johnklos

• Show only replies by johnklos
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;687846
STOP SPREADING TROJANS!

Calling it a trojan, no matter how emphatically you do, does not make it a trojan. We all read your feelings about Executive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
I Use Executive, and I never had any problems with it. Actually Commander have saved me some reboots.

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
I was trying to give it a test downloading the boot and iso images, but i'm stuck somewhere... As you can see from the 2 attachments, the iso image actually "boots" from UAE, but comes to a menu and that's all. If i boot using the boot image, it does a reset, and comes to a prompt asking for the CD. Which no matter what i do does not seem to be recognized. It's not only an iso image, i actually burnt the cd to make sure.
Any ideas?

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
You use the nightly build with WinUAE? You need boot and bootiso from the downloads. In "boot" you find a ADF and the Roms you need to boot, and the iso must be burnt to a CD (must be attached during boot). Then you can install it

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
@OlafS3

Would I be able to install this on my new Turbo Chameleon 64 once I install a Minimig core?

This is very exciting indeed.  I'm looking forward to seeing this on an Arcade Replay.  Well done.

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;687891
You use the nightly build with WinUAE? You need boot and bootiso from the downloads. In "boot" you find a ADF and the Roms you need to boot, and the iso must be burnt to a CD (must be attached during boot). Then you can install it

Yes, that is correct. And yes, the CD was burnt as i mentioned. I'll give it a try asap. I've friends asking me if there's any special hardware requirements for the OS, and i dunno what to say.
Your configuration file shows you got fpu selected and rtg if i'm correct?
I'd appreciate the minimum hardware requirements for info's sake.
Thanks in advance!

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
I have not much experience with real hardware (I have only A600). Someone installed a nightly build on A1200 with 030 and more RAM and it was not useable. It is not optimized for real hardware (as far as I know), you need fast processor (68060 recommended) and more RAM. And not every Turbocard is supported by Kickstart Replacement.

here is a thread on amigaworld regarding the topic:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=35052&forum=27&start=200&viewmode=flat&order=0

or post on aros-exec.org

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
the preinstalled configuration of the nightly build is RTG. So would recommend to download it and change to PAL/NTSC. Hardware answer in my last post. i know that the Kickstart on real hardware must be "soft-kicked" (the kickstart replacement has 1 MB). As far as I can remember I use my distribution with/without FPU so I think that is not critical.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Minimum is AGA, more RAM and at least 68040 (68030 is too slow, 68060 recommended)

Offline mailman

• Show only replies by mailman
    • http://www.ppa.pl
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Is it available for download?

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
my distro, not yet. I have sent it to the Aros distributions maintainer who look at it and integrate it in their distribution. Then I will publish it as a own download.

The nightly build... yes. My own distribution is also based on nightly builds and I will help to update it (I replaced icons and added software, libs... so no problem there). Testing the nightly build is a good starting point.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Quote from: chriskdx;687741
Cannot wait to test it on real amiga
I'm afraid anyone trying this on real amiga will be disappointed. It's very slow, much much slower than the real AmigaOS. Even on WinUAE it is a drag. At several occasions you can see things crawl, even on fast PCs with JIT enabled. Also, AROS consumes much more memory than AmigaOS. (*)

I think this is a direct result from AROS being coded on überfast x86 systems. There hasn't been any reason to optimize things.

* This was some time ago, it might have gotten faster since.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;687780
It's a patch that is ill-advised for multitiasking on Amiga since it allows lower-priority tasks to be promoted to higher priority.  That, in turn, allows things that should never be overruled by a lower-priority task to be overruled, etc.
Any application depending on priorities like that is missing proper locking and is broken.

Executive is no way ill-advised for multitasking or malicious. In fact it's the opposite, Executive greatly improves over the rigid and ineffective default amiga multitasking.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;687846
I have explained to you that this Executive is a Trojan many times yet u continue to intentionally spread Trojans onto people's computers.

By insisting that Executive is a Trojan, you are implicitly accusing it's author of writing malware and those providing it as distributing. That's a pretty serious accusation given one or both of these activities are considered illegal in many countries. As is slander/libel.

I used Executive on several amigas for years and it did nothing but improve the default experience.

So, either provide some solid evidence to substantiate your claim or retract it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:57:25 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
I think that Aros 68k is slow is not true (anymore), at least when using it in WinUAE. I tested Hollywood 4.8 in it and as example the "aquarium"-demo was (almost) too fast. Wazp3D, what I use to integrate Warp3D is directly supporting underlying hardware.

What is true that it (or at least was) not optimized for classic hardware, so speed mainly depends on the processor (68060 recommended) and makes no use of Blitter...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:11:59 AM by OlafS3 »