Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Contact : AmigaOne X1000 Limited Edition  (Read 24553 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: First Contact : AmigaOne X1000 Limited Edition
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:27:43 AM »
Im a little conflicted here. On one hand I think its great that it's looking to be just around the corner now, but damn,... that price is even significantly more than initially touted. Also, why only 1 gig ram? 4 gig ddr2 is worth about $30 retail these days, surely buying in bulk (granted modest numbers for "bulk") is a little cheaper again. For something that starts at about $2700 surely adding a few gig (ie. an extra $15 or so) is reasonable.

Given the price of a case, gfx card, ram, harddrive, etc. that's sure one monster of a pricetag for a mobo+cpu (at least $2500,... all other stuff is worth next to nothing).

While Im happy for those that are interested it's obviously a very niche (as in double figures, low triple if lucky) item. The days of $3000 computers are loooong gone.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: “First Contact : AmigaOne X1000 Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:20:19 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;664314
Has the XC compiler been ported over to HyperionOS or will tinkerers still have to use a windows/mac/linux machine to compile their binaries for "xena"?

Not sure Id have used "HyperionOS" as it makes it sound like an attack (whether it is or not I dont really care, far be it for me to tell you what to say or think), but that aside that's actually a pretty reasonable question. Seems crazy to have a novelty and not be able to use it properly from that machine.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.