Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)  (Read 8271 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzonTopic starter

Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;820365
The only experience worse than Linux on a desktop, is Linux on a laptop.

even though im pretty new to linux native, i have mostly ran it in vm as compiler environment tilllately, i cant agree with it. i was pretty surprised how useful and simple it may be even for creative tasks like multitrack audio recording or graphics. i consider it even more handy than windows i must admit. the problem is a choice of not overloaded distribution. for me it has been lubuntu so far.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;820370
even though im pretty new to linux native, i have mostly ran it in vm as compiler environment tilllately, i cant agree with it. i was pretty surprised how useful and simple it may be even for creative tasks like multitrack audio recording or graphics. i consider it even more handy than windows i must admit. the problem is a choice of not overloaded distribution. for me it has been lubuntu so far.

Until something goes wrong.  And it will.

The greatest tragedy in the opens source movement is it chose Linux.

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
The only experience worse than Linux on a desktop, is Linux on a laptop.

I've been running Linux on my laptop since 2002.  Its much faster and more stable than windows.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
The only experience worse than Linux on a desktop, is Linux on a laptop

Depends on the laptop. Some are better than others, and you can get surprisingly good performance for e-chatter work with a very cheap second hand laptop.

If you want to 3D game, I take your point.

I can't see raspberry pi users etc going for it though.

Except maybe to play games on 3D mobile devices? :)

Technically my laptop is a mobile device, but it isn't Pi sized and not much cheaper and it's OK to awful sometimes at 3D work. Not enough horses. It is however very easy to replace if stolen. Always a consideration with shiny shiny gear.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:09:42 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820372

My eldest son is 18 and has used nothing but GNU/Linux on laptops his entire life.

My 14yr old has used nothing but GNU/Linux her entire life.

My 8yr old has used nothing but GNU/Linux his entire life and he has autism.

My 5yr old has used nothing but GNU/Linux for her entire life.

None of them have ever had any problems that they can't fix themselves and they've never had any trouble doing anything they have ever needed to do.

Even my 3yr old uses only GNU/Linux and he has Down Syndrome.

You must not have the same levels of intellectual capacity as them.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline EugeneNine

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »

I've been running Linux since 2002.  Something went wrong in 2006 and I got a kernel panic.  Turns out it was hardware so I had to spend some $ to replace it.  Haven't had anything go wrong since then.

Wife's windows 10 laptop hung coming out of suspend last week so I had to force it to cold boot.  Daughters netbook got the forced upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and then took 28 minutes to boot.  I bought her a 'new' laptop for $200 and stuck Linux on her old one and it boots in 28 seconds so now I have a spare in case I need it.  I have one other running AROS.

Offline kolla

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:57 AM »

What is that supposed to mean?

"the open source movement", whatever you want to call it, did not chose Linux, it chose whatever people find interesting, useful and profitable. There are plenty of kernels and operating systems to pick from.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:04:46 AM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline wawrzonTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 12:54:42 AM »

wonder what would that be that should go wrong. i have set up countless different linux vms across different machines i am compiling aros with, and while i might not like this or that or have minor issues with some of them, i have not experienced any critical breakdown till now.

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:15:18 AM »
Quote from: kolla;820448
What is that supposed to mean?

"the open source movement", whatever you want to call it, did not chose Linux, it chose whatever people find interesting, useful and profitable. There are plenty of kernels and operating systems to pick from.

It means what its says.

Countless man hours wasted on Linux for no good reason than "its free".  Except its not.  People's time isn't free.  And lots of users have wasted countless hours to fix simple things in Linux.  A CD ROM driver update for example broke PCLOS- "Really? Works here fine, YOU must be the problem"..boots up Windows to get online to find a fix, 1 week later.  NO THANKS- life's too short.

Then there is Linux's "amateurishness" that leads to user frustration: I'm looking at my Mint 17.3 log in screen:  It says stefceplinuxStefceplinux.  Right under it there is a dialog box: It says in medium fonts"Login" underneath that a blinking cursor and in small fonts "Please enter your username".  Now I won't tell you as a user what is wrong with that, I'll let you work it out.  Let me say Linux's User-friendliness goes out the window from the very first login screen, in its "most user friendly" distro too.  Its a joke.

It was "gonna go mainstream" after Vista.  No, wait.  That was gonna happen "after Win 8".  No wait...now that 10 is stealing everyone's identity and sending to M$, its sure go mainstream any day now....

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:21:01 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820466
It means what its says.

Countless man hours wasted on Linux for no good reason than "its free".  Except its not.  People's time isn't free.  And lots of users have wasted countless hours to fix simple things in Linux.  A CD ROM driver update for example broke PCLOS- "Really? Works here fine, YOU must be the problem"..boots up Windows to get online to find a fix, 1 week later.  NO THANKS- life's too short.

Then there is Linux's "amateurishness" that leads to user frustration: I'm looking at my Mint 17.3 log in screen:  It says stefceplinuxStefceplinux.  Right under it there is a dialog box: It says in medium fonts"Login" underneath that a blinking cursor and in small fonts "Please enter your username".  Now I won't tell you as a user what is wrong with that, I'll let you work it out.  Let me say Linux's User-friendliness goes out the window from the very first login screen, in its "most user friendly" distro too.  Its a joke.

It was "gonna go mainstream" after Vista.  No, wait.  That was gonna happen "after Win 8".  No wait...now that 10 is stealing everyone's identity and sending to M$, its sure go mainstream any day now....

Enlighten those of us that don't have your astounding levels of technical competence and understanding, how is your name not displaying correctly on the Mint Display Manager the fault of Linux?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:22:11 AM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;820439
I've been running Linux since 2002.  Something went wrong in 2006 and I got a kernel panic.  Turns out it was hardware so I had to spend some $ to replace it.  Haven't had anything go wrong since then.

Wife's windows 10 laptop hung coming out of suspend last week so I had to force it to cold boot.  Daughters netbook got the forced upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and then took 28 minutes to boot.  I bought her a 'new' laptop for $200 and stuck Linux on her old one and it boots in 28 seconds so now I have a spare in case I need it.  I have one other running AROS.

Meh.  I'm running Win 10 on Core2Duo Thinkpad T500 I picked up in a recycle skip.  Boots Win 10 in under 10 seconds. Yeah I splurged on a $35 SSD. Rock solid- and I can stream Foxtel fullscreen  by simply downloading a 6 MB app.  Linux- nope.

We can sit here all day sharing anecdotes...

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:41:37 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820468
Enlighten those of us that don't have your astounding levels of technical competence and understanding, how is your name not displaying correctly on the Mint Display Manager the fault of Linux?

Knew it.

You DON"T get it.

My user name is correct....the issue is why the F is the dialog asking for my user name, when my username is written right there on the screen just above the Login dialog box, FFS?  

So what does the user think when they see this?  Well the word LOGIN inside a dialog box that has ones username above it intuitively means that user account is selected and it now wants the password, but NOOOOOOOOO, it actually wants my username.  Again.  

So what do users do at the login prompt when they see their username already written above the dialog box?  They enter their password.  Which appears on screen for all to see AND is then written in BIG Fonts on a new password dialog box  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:51:08 AM by stefcep2 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820473
Knew it.

You DON"T get it.

My user name is correct....the issue is why the F is the dialog asking for my user name, when my username is written right there on the screen just above the Login dialog box, FFS?  

So what does the user think when they see this?  Well the word LOGIN inside a dialog box that has ones username above it intuitively means that user account is selected and it now wants the password, but NOOOOOOOOO, it actually wants my username.  Again.  

So what do users do at the login prompt when they see their username already written above the dialog box?  They enter their password.  Which appears on screen for all to see AND is then written in BIG Fonts on a new password dialog box  

I repeat, "why is that the fault of Linux"?

Offline EugeneNine

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820466
It means what its says.

Countless man hours wasted on Linux for no good reason than "its free".  Except its not.  People's time isn't free.

Thats the #1 reason I switched to Linux.  I was wasting so much time keeping windows updated and working.  Linux has saved me so much time and frustration over the years by not breaking something every other update like Windows does, by not getting infected with malware despite not running as administrator.  Just because one or two distros that try to be windows like have window like issues doesn't mean all of linux is like that.  Or to put it simply just use with slackware already :)

A bit of time is spent by the rasbian maintainers taking debian and stripping it down to make it run efficiently on the Pi (one of the reasons I ruin slackware-arm on mine is its already efficient) so thats why I think a Amiga/AROS could find a fit in the Arm world as its already a lightweight OS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:31:16 PM by EugeneNine »

Offline A2666

• Show only replies by A2666
Re: Views on Linux (from AmigaOS x86 thread)
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
Wow. Pretty amazing that some of you complain on Linux. Sounds like basic problems with understanding how computer OS works. If you want convenience, poor stability, countless security holes and surveillance then buddy by all means go for Windows 10. Best choice ever for somebody who wants to be convenient.
 Don't complain on Linux simply because you obviously don't understand basic differences in how it works vs Windows.
 Just for your information Unix derivatives (OSX, Linux, Solaris and many others) run on majority of computers on this planet, especially the ones that are important for internet and industrial infrastructure.
 Without Linux you would not have internet access, online gaming, your PS4 would not have OS, your forum would not work (so you can complain on Linux) etc.
 I have around 17 different computers, SGI, Amiga, Laptops, Desktops, countless game consoles. None of them need windows to do their job.
 I don't even understand your complains... so what you are upset with Linux because of what? It did not do something for you? You did not understand how to use simple terminal command which makes life easier? What was the problem? To install debian on computer that is not even specifically designed for it (HP workstation) takes 20min. Have done it just yesterday and I am writing this post from it.
 Maybe instead of wasting your time on bitching you should get "Teach yourself Linux in 24h" from amazon and read it. It's not much of effort. Don't expect Unix based system to work the same way as your Windows. They are not the same. It's like jumping into Porsche 911 Turbo and expecting it to be as easy to drive as your Geo Metro.
 Seriously. Don't complain. Try to learn. Or if you don't like it, just stick with your Geo Metro.