Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: German Government Warns Windows 8 Is an Unacceptable Security Risk  (Read 953 times)

Description:

Offline nicholasTopic starter

Die Zeit has access to leaked documents from the German government warning that Windows 8 is an unacceptable security risk for sensitive workloads. The story is written in German here, but automatic translators (such as Google Translate) do a readable job. Particularly of concern is the inability to opt out of TPM 2.0 usage.

Oh dear.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: German Government Warns Windows 8 Is an Unacceptable Security Risk
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
All my business-class machines already have TPM modules built into them.  It's my choice whether to enable these or not from within the BIOS, but I've never seen a home machine with a TPM module.  If I'm reading this article correctly, it's saying that in the future the TPM module will no longer be possible to turn off, but are they saying that every device will soon have one built-in?  That's just an added expense for manufacturers, why would they put it if they don't have to?  Win8 runs already without it, so is Microsoft somehow dictating to hardware vendors that they need to include this additional hardware in the future?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
I think a native German speaker might need to explain it better but as far as I could tell they deem the next version of TPM a risk because it can't be switched off  gives MS total remote access and control over the machine.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
TPM was always a scam to give third parties control over users' computers. Hope more agencies put their foot down on this nonsense.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;745878
I think a native German speaker might need to explain it better but as far as I could tell they deem the next version of TPM a risk because it can't be switched off  gives MS total remote access and control over the machine.

What percentage of new machines will actually be sold with a TPM module, is what I'm wondering?  Although I hate Win8 just as much as the next guy and love to see it bashed in the press, this just sounds like more FUD unless they mandate it be built into every new machine sold.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;745884
What percentage of new machines will actually be sold with a TPM module, is what I'm wondering?  Although I hate Win8 just as much as the next guy and love to see it bashed in the press, this just sounds like more FUD unless they mandate it be built into every new machine sold.

Any machine that wants to use the "Designed for Windows" logo I think. Which is probably most of them.